• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

I enjoy toying with the trolls...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I mean, why take away one of life's simple pleasures? I don't get vulgar, and am rarely mean...

:B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B

Have a round on me.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:
Can I get a Coke....gave the beer up a while ago :)
Sure... but no smile!

KMateja said:
Mastiff, I have to say, excellent job.
Thank you. And I must say, there is a true art to dealing with the creature known as the troll. If you become irate, it has won. If you try and reason with it, you lose. And while this is a very un-PC saying... Arguing with a troll is like running a race in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still a retard.

So... I play.

If Dan and the mods don't want it... I have other places I can enjoy this little guilty pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mastiff said:

Arguing with a troll is like running a race in the Special Olympics.
I'm going to have a hard time explaining to the IS department that I need a new keyboard because I choked and spit 7-Up on this one.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:

Awwww... don't go, you bring us too much fun. Here's a troll for you to play with...
No no... I didn't mean I would leave the board all together, just quit yanking the leashes on the trolls. I have the "enforcer" role on some other places I post. Muggy is almost too easy... Low I.Q. combined with the propensity to irritate with absurd opinion makes this more like a turkey shoot.

mugbub1 said:
Why am I being attacked. Mike Devouno help me out bro!
Shut yer yap, pillow biter.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
oh god im about ot fall out of my chair laughing

i donno i think this guy is smart but feels life ****ed him over-sooo educated but cant do anything with it perhaps?

but anyway thanks for the laughs god knows i needed them today

Mastiff

Gunfighter
PlannerGirl said:

i donno i think this guy is smart but feels life ****ed him over-sooo educated but cant do anything with it perhaps?
Oh, c'mon! Educated? Sheesh... I can't believe the guy outfoxed millions of other sperm!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Oh man... diet pepsi hurts really bad when it's snorked up the nose. I should have known better than to take a sip of DP when reading Mastiff's comments.

Habanero

Cyburbian
If my city won't pay I'm still going to go up there and hang out with other planner friends/family. I say to hell with it- I'll be on the slopes while everyone else is at the conference during the day and then I'll meet up for drinks- :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Call me the sap, but I kinda know what Muggs is going through. I went through it, and it isn't any fun. Like I said, the best thing you can do is get a new job, new career, whatever, and go on with your life.

There are just too many jobs out there for you to stay somewhere you aren't happy.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Mike DeVuono said:
Call me the sap, but I kinda know what Muggs is going through. I went through it, and it isn't any fun. Like I said, the best thing you can do is get a new job, new career, whatever, and go on with your life.

There are just too many jobs out there for you to stay somewhere you aren't happy.
I agree 100%....but muggy takes the extra step to lash out at those that ARE happy as planners with his mass characterizations of gov't workers. I'm sorry, but as Dan said in another thread , you don't do that here in the forums and expect nothing back.

Habanero

Cyburbian
SAP!
:)

I do know that it must be hard to be in a profession that you abhore, but I don't think it's right to call everyone else that enjoys the job fat ass lazy government workers. Just because one person can't hack it in the real planner world doesn't mean we're all a bunch of dopes because we excel at it. It's all about personal choice and responsibility, don't be angry at the world when it's not their fault. That's just my opinion--

mugbub

BANNED
Thanks for some dignity

Thanks Mike and the planner from DC, and you too Dan and Kmateja. You are the few that have not attacked me and broke into my account (which I can't seem to fix). Looking back I guess I was a little coarse in previous postings. For this I am sorry.

It's the damn code enforcement that's killing me and I'm realizing that it is one of the hardest parts of planning. Fricking moron property owners and a bad court system, inept coworkers (not you... well not most of you anyway) and just the whole management system don't work well.

I've taken steps to get out of this of a job/career, but it's going take awhile. No need to bash me Mastiff, I've got a feeling you're in the same boat- sorry about the AICP remark (albeit true) I'm sure you an somewhat ok planner. The retard jokes and homophobic sabaotge of my account really sets a new low, but I'm willing to forget it. I feel like saying a Rodney King quote.

el Guapo

Capitalist
This is it.

Perhaps you need to learn to take a hint, friend. Many hints were sent your way that you were in a community and through your actions you were pissing many members of it off. Perhaps your inability to play well with others could be the source of your frustrations. Read the board rules, and keep the personal attacks out of your posts and we can all get along.

I'm going to clean up your account and set it back to normal. Come back with a snappy retort or pick up your old habits and I'll clean your cyber clock real good once and for all here.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Thanks for some dignity

mugbub1 said:
I've taken steps to get out of this of a job/career, but it's going take awhile. No need to bash me Mastiff, I've got a feeling you're in the same boat- sorry about the AICP remark (albeit true) I'm sure you an somewhat ok planner. The retard jokes and homophobic sabaotge of my account really sets a new low, but I'm willing to forget it. I feel like saying a Rodney King quote.
I was working on templates earlier today, and I discovered that I broke a couple, one being the user profile template. Nobody was able to change their user profile today. However, as on most vBulletin, UBB, phpBB, and similar boards, the mods here have a lot of power, and when you don't play nice ... they won't either. (Fortunately, they didn't have to use the dreaded VW Cabriolet avatar on you!)

Anyhoo ... I don't know if other planers will agree with me, but it seems af if your first job as a planner will typecast you into a certain role. If your first job is as a development review planner, it's very difficult finding work that's not related to reviewing subdivisions and shopping centers. Once a transportation planner, always a transportation planner, or so it seems.

Code enforcement isn't exactly planning per se, but often it's a job function that's cast on current/development review planners. For some reason, you'll see CE ads mixed in with planner ads online. In smaller agencies, a planner may be responsible for a particular aspect of code enforcement, such as zoning or sign code enforcement. In small towns, the planner often does all code enforcement; junk cars, overgrown lawns, the shed built without a permit. If your "planner" job places a heavy emphasis on code enforcement, and it begins to occupy the majority of your job functions, you're typecast. The mold is set.

I don't know if there is a way out or not. How does a development review planner become a comprehensive planner? Maybe start from scratch, but employers may see a resume filled with years of development review, and think "overqualified." Move horizontally, if you're in a large agency? Hard to do, since it seems like comp planners are more entrenched than current planners. The only surefire way I can think of is to get into a smaller agency where planners have to take on a wider variety of roles, comp planning isn't farmed out to consultants, and there's a full-time code enforcement officer.

CE sucks. I'm the acting CE officer in my tiny agency, and it sucks up a disproportionately large amount of time. Public contact ... watch it triple or quadruple if you go on a sweep. I'd had to deal with women crying for Jesus, threats from lawyers, threats from rednecks who believe that taking away their three or four "projects" is the equivalent of chopping off their manhood ... it's frustrating as hell, and it's hard to leave at the office when you go home, especially if you live in the same municipality where you work.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Thanks for some dignity

mugbub1 said:
No need to bash me Mastiff, I've got a feeling you're in the same boat-
Not even close. My job is difficult, challenging, and makes a difference in the community. I love it. I bellyache like the next person, but if I didn't have to work hard, I wouldn't be here.

mugbub1 said:
sorry about the AICP remark (albeit true) I'm sure you an somewhat ok planner.
Don't be sorry... I'm sure not. I have been okayed to sit for the AICP exam for several years now, but refuse to take it. If you want to read why... here is the link:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=998&highlight=AICP

You are right, however, that I'm an "ok" planner. If you knew all my job entailed, you'd realize that being an "ok" planner is a good thing. I'm in charge of all community services. At my last job, I was also assistant city administrator. Once again, if it ain't a challenge... I'll move on. I've been at this job for 10 months, and have garnered this city over 1/2 a million dollars in grants, that *I* will personally administer. What do you do?

mugbub1 said:
The retard jokes and homophobic sabaotge of my account really sets a new low, but I'm willing to forget it.
No... Don't "forget it". You reap what you sow. If you choose to paint me, and others here, as lazy bums... I'll be more than happy to paint you as an imbecilic twink! Just remember... We aren't laughing AT you, we're laughing BECAUSE of you.

mugbub1 said:

I feel like saying a Rodney King quote.
Wonderful... You finally have it right. Come into someone else's neighborhood, act like a drug crazed freak, fight... and then complain when you get your ass kicked.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Thanks for some dignity

Dan said:

IAnyhoo ... I don't know if other planers will agree with me, but it seems af if your first job as a planner will typecast you into a certain role. If your first job is as a development review planner, it's very difficult finding work that's not related to reviewing subdivisions and shopping centers. Once a transportation planner, always a transportation planner, or so it seems.
I couldn't agree more. My first planning job was in economic development. I have loved it ever since and do it very well. Trouble is, I am also a very good long-range planner. I would like to find a job that had me doing more of this planning, but it seems as if I will always be cast as just an economic developer. You would think a consultant out there might realize the benefits to this combination of skills.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: Thanks for some dignity

Dan said:

Anyhoo ... I don't know if other planers will agree with me, but it seems af if your first job as a planner will typecast you into a certain role. If your first job is as a development review planner, it's very difficult finding work that's not related to reviewing subdivisions and shopping centers. Once a transportation planner, always a transportation planner, or so it seems.
You were discussing "small towns" later on in this post, and I think those are the places where you can build a skill set that makes you change to different positions.

However, it does tend to make you a "small town" vs. a "big city" hire. The big city jobs want to pigeon hole a person into one area, while the small towns need more variety. Personally, I like rural, and really like variety... As long as there is a city somewhere in the proximity.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Bygones are Bygones Muggie

In forums like this, the tone and inflection of ones' meaning can be easily lost, and harsh words can easily take on a very harsh tone. I also apologize for getting on your case - lets all be a bit more civil from now on.