• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

I may not be Canadien- but I paly one in my head!

donk

Cyburbian
I especially like the "chess on ice" description of the sport.

Habanero

Cyburbian
It really is like chess on ice.. actually, to me, it looks more like really hard shuffle board on ice with lots of drinking and tons of work on the sweepers part.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Like bowling, curling is a "sport" which allows one to consume alcohol while participating. Its a northern climate thing, I guess...

donk

Cyburbian
Planderella,

You basically throw "rocks" down the ice at a target, closest to the button wins. The ice is rippled to make the rocks move and be able to curl them. the sweepers clear the ice to make a path of less resistance. hope this makes some semblance of sense.

to make it easier to visualize

or try

http://www.curling.ca/sport_of_curling/how_to_play.asp

for a flash presentation and description of the sport.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I remember that when I was in Toronto for the APA conference several years ago, curling was on like 5 TV channels in the hotel....seemingly 24/7. I think there was a major tournament or something going on....at least I hope so...I can't imaging that many channels devoted to curling. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Wow, Tex - first hockey, now curling? What next - icefishing? Lacrosse? Maybe skidooing?

Has your b.f. found a team yet in Phoenix?

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Wow, Tex - first hockey, now curling? What next - icefishing? Lacrosse? Maybe skidooing?

Has your b.f. found a team yet in Phoenix?
yeah, but they're not too good. I would play lacrosse, but they don't have women's teams in these areas. I don't even think they'd know what I was talking about-

donk said:
Planderella,

You basically throw "rocks" down the ice at a target, closest to the button wins. The ice is rippled to make the rocks move and be able to curl them. the sweepers clear the ice to make a path of less resistance. hope this makes some semblance of sense.

to make it easier to visualize

or try

http://www.curling.ca/sport_of_curling/how_to_play.asp

for a flash presentation and description of the sport.
Thanks for the info....it looks like fun.

Habanero

Cyburbian
TEAM TEXAS BEATS TEAM USA!!

Team Roberts shocked the world by beating Team USA, led by Paul Pustovar 7-4 in the opening draw of the US National Championships! http://www.dfwcurling.com/ccdpress.html . They dropped game two to Minnesota 3, though, to go 1-1 in first day action. Team Roberts and Team Murphy are in action at the Utica Curling Club in Utica, NY! Kathy Pahl is also in action as the skip for team Alaska. After 4 draws, the men are 1-1 and the women are 0-2. Team Pahl (AK) is 1-1.

I'm so excited! :)

donk

Cyburbian
I forgot one other thing in my previous description, you drink lots and lots of beer. The Briar (Canadian Championships) are on this week in Halifax.