• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

I need to hire a web hosting company - What are your recommendations?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Please help Me find a good web hosting company for my employer that can host a 1Gig site with vBulletin and a Gig of traffic monthly. Don't be afraid to tell me of your bad expereinces also.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
If you want to be hosed on the web, send $200 monthly to my paypal account. 8-!

JNL

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Don't be afraid to tell me of your bad expereinces also.
Well, I had this bad experience once at this restaurant where the Christmas dinner selection was very poor and I ended up eating salad. Do you want to hear more about that? ;)

Poor guap :-D I'm sure you will get some serious, useful responses too.

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
I'm going to be a bit nosey. Why do you need a gig of storage for a bulltin board? Do you have that many messages? Are you allowing attachments or is that space for something else?

I've been reasonably happy with PowWeb (www.powweb.com) but I don't know if I'd use them for a mission critical web site. I've installed vBulletin on my account and it worked fine but never put it through a heavy traffic test. But at under $8/month, it doesn't cost much to give it a try.

jestes

Cyburbian
EG,

Check out our county's page at www.co.forrest.ms.us.

It is hosted by a company called Omni Publishing out of San Antonio. The technologies used in the site were originally developed by Omni for General Motors. They are still refining their technology but so far I have been very pleased with our site. It has some interesting features that make it cost effective such as an on-line page editor and a feature called Com Center that is sort of an internal IM.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If I had the money, I'd go with pair.com. I've seen nothing but good reviews and praise, something that's unusual for most Web hosts.

Cyburbia is hosted through 100 Megs Web Hosting. They seem to provide good value for the money, with lots of features and bandwidth, and the quality of customer support is okay. I'll probably stay with them until traffic predicates a dedicated server; that'll probably be mid-2005. I'd give 'em a 6.75 or 7 out of 10.

Stay away from Host Department.

AubieTurtle said:
I'm going to be a bit nosey. Why do you need a gig of storage for a bulltin board? Do you have that many messages? Are you allowing attachments or is that space for something else?
Uncompressed, the Cyburbia Forums database consumes about 400 megs. Attached images are stored separately from the database now, that's another 50 to 100 megs. The Gallery now consumes about 530 megs.