• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

I need to vent

Best way to Burn off Steam

• Drink

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Go to the gym

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • See a great action movie

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Go to a calm place and read life and death of great american cities

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

michaelskis

Cyburbian
AHHHH… I have to vent. Our CD Director is on a rampage because a member of council does not like the idea of a industrial company coming in. But I don’t blame her. This city is going to give them the land, a slab, have rezoned the area from preservation to manufacturing, moving sewer lines, and even some extra land. Oh and it will be TAX FREE. They claim that it will bring some (not many) jobs into the area, but if the city does not finish all this stuff, (according to the contract), the city will have to pay the company $1,000 per day, until all the improvements are caught up.

It is not a clean industrial use, and the property can be better used. The staff told him this at first, but he went on with it anyways. *Some out side pressure* And now, because some of the people on the city council is saying bad things, he is going off on a tangent.

OH WHAT FUN THIS IS!!!

What do you think would be the best way to burn off steam?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Medication. Got me through a good yellin' at yesterday ... seriously.

I said a trip to the gym. when i'm feeling very frustrated and stressed out, some sort of physical activity, whether it even be something as low impact as a nice long walk through the park with my dogs, gets the blood moving, clears the fog out of my head and calms me down.

sorry about your crappy day.

H

Cyburbian
I voted gym, because it is better for you, but I think…

Go to the gym (I like to jog), then you can go out and have a drink and talk it out with friends (don’t bore em, but its okay to discuss a little) and not feel guilty (about drinking) since you exercised earlier! Twice the fun, half the guilt, you know! The combo of the two always does wonders for frustration!…just don’t reverse the order!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Are you people really planners..... any true planner knows the drink is the correct answer

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm on the economic development side of planning. Under most circumstances, I would have a hard time advocating a project like you described. What bugs me most is the conversion from preservation to industrial use. After a company comes to town is not the time to be changing things. Decide beforehand and stick with it -- either this is industrial land or it is meant for preservation. As for incentives, again, I am not a big fan. Cities often tend to give too much away. Installing utilities to a site and underwriting its cost are common and can generally be justified. Free land and a slab are a stretch. As for being tax free, that is simply idiotic.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
giff57 said:
Are you people really planners..... any true planner knows the drink is the correct answer
I felt politically correct...so I said all of the above. I would, however, probably only do the drinking part. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: vent

Tom R said:
drink and sex, probably in that order.
I second that emotion

There are few problems in the world that can't be made better with bourbon/beer and good hot sweaty monkey loving.

donk

Cyburbian
I voted all of the above, but would probably skip the movie (cuts into workout and drinking time) and teh book. (why read about work when work is pissing you off, reading the new HST book now that puts things in perspective)

H

Cyburbian
Re: Re: vent

biscuit said:

There are few problems in the world that can't be made better with bourbon/beer and good hot sweaty monkey loving.
Spoken like a true Southerner! I have gotten weak and started jogging since I find my self not so active like I once was.

Work has corrupted my college lifestyle........

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: vent

biscuit said:
I second that emotion

I usually "build the two backed monster" before too much drinking...

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Drink. Or xanax, which magically takes you to the world where nothing bothers you...Not that I have any experience with this.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I voted for drink, but smashing balls at the driving range or mountain biking also works for me.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I find going out with co-workers for margaritas and Mexican food is the best way. I used to do this about once a week at my last job. Now I work in a much happier place :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
If sex will have anything to do with it, I would need to meet a woman who is good looking AND has grace and elegance... I live in a ghetto environment. So that is why did not even make the list to vote. On the other hand, I do have a date next weekend with a girl from VA... (oh and she is a sweet heart... so who knows. (and wish me luck)

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
If sex will have anything to do with it, I would need to meet a woman who is good looking AND has grace and elegance... I live in a ghetto environment. So that is why did not even make the list to vote. On the other hand, I do have a date next weekend with a girl from VA... (oh and she is a sweet heart... so who knows. (and wish me luck)
Come on guy. We said Sex, not relationship. ;)

This being your first career job out of College, you will most likely get yelled at a lot more in the future - Lord knows I was. Hell, things were so unpleasant that I was even fired. Twice. But I learned from those situations and am in a much better place, in a much better job.

My advise to hang in there and if it's not better in a year, start looking elsewhere.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oh I can handle being yelled at... I even yell back. But I work for a guy who knows NOTHING about planning. He is a banker, not a planner.

*and I will remember that sex and relationship are seperate in the future... (my ex has alwas thought otherwise)

WELL IT IS NOW THE WEEKEND. I am off to the gym, a movie, then a bar... and if I can still read when I make it home, I might do that too.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Are you in a situation where you could write a memo showing your professional concerns? If so, you might want to have your resume in order. If you are not in such a situation, you should have your resume in order anyway...there are places that respect ethics.