• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

I think that we need a Guys Wednesday!

Things you do... (check all that apply)

• Shave your Chest

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Shave other parts not on your face or skull.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Have a crush on the girl who cuts your hair.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Pluck your eyebrows or have it done. (At least once)

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Clean your car more that you clean your bathroom.

• Watch cartoons (still)

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Wear dress clothes more than once without washing them.

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Trim your nose hairs.

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Read your GF/Wifes girl magazines

• Subscribe to Victoria’s Secret (under fake name of course)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Have high thread count sheets

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Flex your mussels in the bath room mirror.

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Keep old letters from Ex girl friends.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Remember sporting events and dates better than dates with GF/Wife (such as anniversaries or birthday

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Dislike mother-in-laws or GF’s Mothers.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Others? (Please list)

• None of the above... (liar)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It is later on Tuesday night here in SW Michigan, a lot of us are getting overworked, right before the holliday season, or traveling the world, and I thought that we need a good way to have fun. So I am going to say that today is [grunting voice] GUY’S WEDNESDAY [/grunting voice]. Maybe next Wednsday can be too, but we will see how this goes. So I am reading a mens magazine. (NO it was not playboy, it was Mens Health) and it made me start thinking about all the different things that guys do, that we don’t talk about normally. So I am going to open up this with a poll! Yes, it is a chance to secretly share what you do, and don’t do. *Girls can vote on what they think that there guys would pick.

*disclaimer: I do some, but not all of these things. Many of them I put on here due to they where in the magazine.

Rem

Cyburbian
Other things I do that seem to be typical boy behaviour:

Wear the same pair of shoes almost every day.
Order fattening foods when I eat out.
Fart in bed when I wake up in the morning.
Yell at the kids like I really mean it, even when I don't. Mrs Rem really does mean it when she yells at the kids.
Kid myself I could still cut it in any sport I wanted - if only I had a couple of spare weeks to get in shape.
Glance through the glossy underwear advertisements that come in the weekend papers - for the prices and styles only.
Think not shaving and missing a shower on the weekend makes me more attractive to Mrs Rem.
Know I have the best BBQ'ing technique going around.

That's enough self-effacement for now.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Heh, I have four pairs of shoes total: Black dress shoes, black "work" shoes (cheaper with better treads), grey sneakers (some superglue), and brown sandals.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
LOL funny poll.

However, I stopped waxing my car three years ago, and stopped washing it - even in salty winters - two years ago. Aluminum skin and rubber coated underbody = no rust. I stopped caring about finish (me and the car) long ago.

boiker

Cyburbian
ok..

shoes, one pair black (soles peeling off), one pair brown (soles cracked), one pair junky sneaker, one pair new(er) sneakers.

dress clothes.. I'm sitting in a cube all day.. how could I possibly get them dirty enough to wash after one use?

I'd rather mow the lawn and do yard/garden work before house work.

Chet, cars need to be washed and cleaned? I was unaware. :)

I've plucked eybrows, even had them professionally waxed to eliminate the growing uni-brow. I get my hair cut at salons..not barber shops.

Edit More:

I remember the my first couple weeks with my wife, but barely a specific event, aside from our first kiss.

I remember my first pro and minor league baseball game and I remember most of my first season of "cub" (6-7 yr old) league baseball.

I have shaved my chest. One time, when my wife was pregnant, stressed, and upset. I grabbed my razor and proceeded to shave patches in my chest untill she laughed uncontrollably at me. I left it that way for weeks. It kept her in a good mood :)

I actually get along with my mother in law...we sling insults back and forth everytime we see each other.. it's like saying hello.

Last edited:

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My take on men's magazines -

One of the perks of being a guy is that you don't have to read magazines that declare you too fat, skinny, unambitious or poor - Men's Health and similar magazines take that away and make us worry about whether our girlfriends will leave us for a guy who does a better ab routine, or uses better hair product. I also don't like being told that I'm supposed to like golf, bi-sexual scandanavian women, and whatever else they tell you that all guys are supposed to like.

My God, I hate shaving.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hmmm. I can't criticize Mrs. G's outlandish number of shoes and dubious styles because I actually have quite a few myself:

Today I am wearing a pair of tan bucks that would make boiker proud -- they're too old for me to even hazard a guess and fully look the part. I can only wear them when it isn't going to rain because the soles are cracked clean through. But they are as comfortable as a pair of slippers.

I have a better leather shoe in brown that I usually wear.
I have a pair of brown dress shoes (but no suit to wear them with).
I have a pair of Tevas I love.
I have two pairs of NB cross trainers: an old one for mowing/weed wacking etc. and the others for "dress" occasions.
I have a pair of LLBean duckboots for winter.
I have a pair of Eastland boots that are dressy enough for work.
I have a pair of work boots I bought in Sanford, Maine in December 1978 that were my "work boots" when I was a mover. They have loggers heels and are so soft and supple that they are like a pair of sneakers.

Interesting that none of the above are less than three years old.

Also, I agree with seabishop: why buy a magazine to make you feel insecure???

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Why wash let alone wax a 10 yr old car w/ 123,000 miles on it?
Shoes:
Work - 1 black, 1 brown
Play - 1 sneakers, 1 sandals, 1 Hiking Boots

After a bike ride I do shower.
I have been accused of not knowing what or even how use a vacuum.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
A few of my habits

- watching tv (I've been told that I watch tv too damn much. ;-) )
- drinking Coca Cola and eating mini-sized Snickers candybars almost every night
(I've been been told that's bad. ;-) )
- shaving (aggravating task)
- exercise regiment (walking, jogging, push-ups, and abdominal oblique exercises)
- avid watcher of college and NFL football, as well as college and NBA basketball
- playing tennis

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
boiker said:
Chet, cars need to be washed and cleaned? I was unaware. :)
I left out the part about the dust layer on the dash board getting so thick it looks like fur. |-)

donk

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I left out the part about the dust layer on the dash board getting so thick it looks like fur. |-)
You can add that to the list of reasons contributing to my recent break up.

As for shoes, I've listed them in the past and plan on getting at least 2-5 more pairs in the coming months, mostly to replace pairs, but I also want to add a few to the quiver.

On clothes, dress clothes that are only worn to work, only need to be cleaned after a few wearings, especially wool suits/pants. Shirts are cleaned after every wearing, in the summer I'll change my shirt at lunch if it is really hot out.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Chet said:

It is better than gluing shag carpeting to your dash!

I am picky with my car, and I tend to keep things like leather conditioning wipes in my car. It see a car wash at least twice a month.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
....... bi-sexual scandanavian women,.......

Kind of hard to argue with that.....until you come home and find her with your girlfriend/wife. 8-!

then its not fun any more! +o(

cololi

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Kind of hard to argue with that.....until you come home and find her with your girlfriend/wife. 8-!

then its not fun any more! +o(
Thats your opinion.

My wife is my hairdresser (it has definetely moved beyond just a crush)
my nose hairs get trimmed weekly
The higher the thread count the better
I own more shoes than my wife (bball shoes, running shoes, tennis shoes, hiking boots, sandals, tevas, flip flops, multiple black dress shoes, brown dress shoes, maroon dress shoes, and more)
I could care less about my car
My mother in law is pretty damn cool
I couldn't tell my wife what we did on our first date, but can remember the first NBA game I went to(Jazz vs kansas City Kings in 1979, Jazz won 126-110)