• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Idenitfy the "Political Correctness" of your office

How PC is your Office?

• Not at all - we can be naughty at will

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Somewhat not - we can cuss just not at the secretary

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Somewhat so - depends on who is around

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Totally - white shirt and blue suit and tow the line

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
OK folks, we've discussed "left, right, or...." and now I'm dying to know --> How politically correct is your office environment? I've observed that the most conservative planners can be the most un-PC.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Un-PC

I would've chosen "we can cuss, just not at the secretary" but that's who we're usually cursing at so....
No, really, we all have a great time up at work, lots of laughter-

I voted for "we can cuss, not just at the secretaries", we're a pretty relaxed bunch. My last job, however, it was absolutely nothing for a division manager to comment on how sweet your ass is on any given day. And he was old enough to be my dad. Only a trifle uncomfortable.

el Guapo

Capitalist
My favorite office game....

...planning-pull-my-finger. Not really. But we can have fun.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
First job: general political orientation of the department was was right-leaning. I'll never forget the PD poking the receptionist's ample busom with a pencil, followed by his making a hissing "air escaping" noise. Hispanics and Anglos would casually joke back and forth. Water cooler talk was fairly ribald. The planner in the department that I held in the highest regard, an older Mescalero Apache woman, regularly called me "paleface" as a term of endearment.

Previous job: politically neutral but somewhat left-leaning; a few leftist "everything America does is wrong!" radicals, one hardcore dittohead. Shirts, ties, and very stiff upper lips. Relatively tense. Community was most integrated large city in the United States, and there were frequent ethnic/cultural sensitivity seminars, usualy of the "we must reeducate the evil white man" variety. Water cooler talk focused on home improvement and regional travel.

Current job: extremely Republican co-workers. The environment is very un-PC, with some quirks. Race is a frequent subject of discussion; Southerners and Florida natives with a culturally Southern orientation seem to have no problem with the topic, as opposed to those "up north." Occasional practical jokes. Prayer before all public meetings. The presence of a former hippie on the generally pro-planning Town Commission keeps meetings interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.