• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Identify your Connection

Identify your connection.

• T-1 or above: Blistering speed is mine!

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • DSL, ISDN or Cable: I only have to wait a second or two.

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Dial up: Not as much fun as it used to be.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Home access only: My employer is cheap, dumb or both.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Public Library: I'm a homeless planner looking for work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The voices in my head tell me what is on the web!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

el Guapo

Capitalist
I use the web at least two to three hours a day for productive work that benefits my employer. It is a rich resource that I find I cannot work without. And, I 'll admit that I occasionally use it during work hours for personal surfing. I don’t smoke anymore so I rationalize it by taking a surfing break now and then.

So, how do you get on the web? How do you use the resources it offers? Is your organization committed to providing the tools you need to do your job?

Also give us your favorite planning link (Besides Cyburbia; that goes without saying) and your favorite personal link.

Follow up edit: I forgot I am asking planners a technology question. If your answer is "I don't know, others do this kind of thing for me. I just open a browser and it works." Then select the "voices" answer. That is the last one. We will use it for I don't know responses. Thanks

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
fav links

For work, I use www.wisconsin.gov as it includes a clearinghouse of local comunity websites and info pertinent to our state.

For pleasure, well its a 3-way tie:

For weekly viewings, www.theonion.com

For something with occassional updates and really poor flash animations, www.stickdeath.com

For one-time enjoyment and an GREAT explaination of why people like me are occassionally too sarcastic, www.seanbaby.com/stupid/sarcasm.htm

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It goes without saying ... cable at home. Cable at work, too -- for about six months, I was the only "wired" employee. The Town Manager is an IT geek like me, and now everyone is connected. (As an aside, our little town now has a color laser printer. :) )

As far as favorite planning links goes ... well, I've got about 1000 new ones bookmarked, waiting until January to be put into the new Cyburbia database. (I'm getting rid of Wilma, and getting a mySQL-based DB that will be more Yahoo-like.)

Jen

Cyburbian
attbi

Yeah out in the sticks were hooked up to broadband internet, and paying for it too,

I read the cyburbia news wire several times a week and again www.commondreams.org

Also enjoyed the NY and Detroix urban geography photo detectives. Staten Island looks like a great place to live!

I like toast and maybe you'll like www.drtoast.com

But checking up on manufactured housing bills and the "bottle bill" in michign legislature; I found this site to be a real kick www.opensecrets.org

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Jen - since you seem to know a thing or two about Michigan legislation. I remember early last summer that a smart growth package was introduced, with quite a bit of fanfare, but I have not heard anything of it since (perhaps because I have since moved away from the Great Lakes state). I heard that it included a significant revision of the tax code so that farmers were not paying taxes for highest and best use. Any idea what happened to it?

Jen

Cyburbian
Farm bill update

Hey There planasaurus - I had forgotten all about that bill but here's a link to an article from the Mich Land Use Institute on that very subject! http://www.mlui.org/projects/farmlandconservation/taxupdate.html

Since the Mich Farm Bureau requires membership to read documents posted on their web site, Im not sure on whose behalf the Mi Farm Bureau was acting on when it was able to stop the passage of the bill.

Do ya miss the mitten state? Todays weather is Sunny and cold with a disappointingly small amount of snow on the ground!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have a cable connection at work and at home. I could never ever go back to dialup. I was at my parents and I had to look something up on the web and I was amazed at how slow dial up was. I justify the 40 bucks a month with the rationalization that I used to have a $50-60 per month cd buying habit. That has been slashed thanks to file sharing.

My favorite sites (besides cyburbia)

www.onmilwaukee.com
www.pitchforkmedia.com
www.espn.com
www.theonion.com

Each one serves a different, yet critical purpose.

I am working on a website, but I never seem to have time to work on it. I am not even sure what direction I want to go with it. I had thought of a music only site, but as of now I have planning stuff and personal stuff on there. I may need to register another domain.

www.yourfavoritebandsucks.com

(ummm...I stole some pics from the gallery...I hope you guys don't get mad)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
ADSL... of 256/128 quite cheap here...

Fav web pages:
- Deviant Art
- GFXArtist
- Great Buildings.com
- Something Awful
- Sinfest (Daily Web Comic)

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Dan said:
It goes without saying ... cable at home. Cable at work, too -- for about six months, I was the only "wired" employee. The Town Manager is an IT geek like me, and now everyone is connected. (As an aside, our little town now has a color laser printer. :) )

As far as favorite planning links goes ... well, I've got about 1000 new ones bookmarked, waiting until January to be put into the new Cyburbia database. (I'm getting rid of Wilma, and getting a mySQL-based DB that will be more Yahoo-like.)
For me: T-1 at work, baby! COOL! Alas, dial-up at home. Which means I sometimes stay at work late to 'net surf.

Dan, I like www.detroityes.com too, but all too often the posts remind me of the huge racial and city/suburban divide in Motown. The posts usually start really well, but can degenerate into pablum.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Who brought this thread back from the dead? Wow...

Still - I guess I never got around to posting a reply the first time, so here goes:

Work - T1 or something
Home - 56K dialup...just a little sloooooooooooooow.

When not prowling Cyburbia I'm usually surfing at:

http://pub118.ezboard.com/btorontoskyscraperforum

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/index.php (El Guapo might like to check this one out, for his budding hobby).

Other than that its, news, news, and more news. I'm a news junkie...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:

I am working on a website, but I never seem to have time to work on it. I am not even sure what direction I want to go with it. I had thought of a music only site, but as of now I have planning stuff and personal stuff on there. I may need to register another domain.
www.yourfavoritebandsucks.com
Nice! "This cd is f'ing terrible" is a lot more straightforward than the psychoanalytic evaluations that most reviewers give cds.

JNL

Cyburbian
Ok how do I find out what I'm using at work? without asking someone.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
JNL said:
Ok how do I find out what I'm using at work? without asking someone.
Are you at work NOW? It's Sunday afternoon here! Nice, sunny, about 2C to 4C outside. That silly International Date Line ...

Anyhow, at work you've probably got a T1 or T2.

JNL

Cyburbian
Yep it's already Monday here :(

I spent the weekend at the beach! 27C yesterday. Am a bit sunburnt today.