• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Identify your favo(u)rite guitar solo

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay.... the air guitar thread got me thinking, and instead of degenerating that thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

So what's your favorite guitar solo? It doesn't have to be rock/metal... it can be any musical genre.

My faves:
Jimi Hendrix, All along the Watchtower (rock)
Tinsley Ellis, The Axe (blues/rock)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I looooooooooooove Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child". There's a guy who plays in one of the subway stations here who does an awesome imitation - great to hear echoing through the whole place!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Dave Mustaine, Megadeth - Holy Wars

SGB

Cyburbian
Eddie Van Halen, "Eruption," Van Halen I

Mark Knopfler, "Sultans of Swing", Dire Straits

Last edited:

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I'm partial to classical guitar and Ottmar Liebert type stuff....usually solos anyhow....

I really want to take Flamenco classes....

I don't know all the guitarists' names but here are some of my faves:

Eddie Van Halen in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" and Van Halen's "Jump" and "Hot for Teacher"

Living Colour "Cult of Personality"

Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

ANY Lenny Kravitz, although I know his sound is very Hendrix

Any of Prince's guitar solos

Slash from Guns 'N Roses - "Paradise City" and Welcome to the Jungle".......shoot.....almost any of GNR's songs

Tom R

Cyburbian
guitar

Eric Clapton - White Room
Alvin Lee on the 10 Years After Live album - ur pick.
Anything by Christopher Parkening

Did I say White Room? I meant Crossroads! (Eric [god] forgive me.)

Last edited:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Cliff !!!!!

Anesthesia Pulling Teeth (Bass Solo) - Cliff Burton, Metallica, Kill Em' All

Eruption - Eddie Van Halen (Spanish Fly was pretty good too)

Nuture Boy (Bass Solo) - Les Claypool, Primus, Pork Soda

Dazed and Confused - Jimmy Page (every version, it's never the same twice)

Every solo Randy Rhodes and Jimi Hendrix ever did.

No ones put Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Via or Joseph Satriane.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Anything by John Squire (from the Stone Roses) especially his work on "I am the Resurrection"

Slayer - Angel of Death (I think Kerry King does it)

Jimi Hendrix - Fire

Chuck Berry- Johnny B Goode

Metallica - Master of Puppets (Kirk Hammet)

Smashing Pumpkins - Siva

Jeff

Cyburbian
Jerry Garcia -- "Dancin' in the Streets" May 8, 1977 -- Barton Hall, Cornell University.

Any of the Iron Maiden solos ...

Kirk Hammet -- can't go wrong ...

Johnny B Good (From Back to the Future) -- Actual solo was played by Jimmy Bruno, a jazz guitarist and one of my music teachers in high school.

Tom R

Cyburbian
guitar

Maybe a new string: Does anyone have or play a guitar. What make, model, year etc. I have an old Alverez folk (laminant top) and my Dad's old Gibson L-5.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Re: guitar

Tom R said:
Maybe a new string: Does anyone have or play a guitar. What make, model, year etc. I have an old Alverez folk (laminant top) and my Dad's old Gibson L-5.
2001 Mexican Telecaster
Early 90's Washburn KC40V (cheesy and toneless- probably bound for e-bay)
2000 Ibanez AK-something, acoustic/electic

I'm lucky enough to have a Marshall JCM 800 that my grandparents helped me get when I was in high school for a few hundred. They're more sought after now.

Now all I need is time to play the darn things.

H

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
I'm partial to classical guitar and Ottmar Liebert type stuff....usually solos anyhow....
Great stuff, I second that;)

martini

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Any of the Iron Maiden solos ...

Kirk Hammet -- can't go wrong ...

ahh, Iron Maiden and Metallica. I agree, can't go wrong with either, or for that matter Slayer(Kerry King rules!). Death Angle 'bored' is pretty good too.

Even though they're not solo's prese, I love any of the riffs put out by The Clash, Fugazi, Jawbreaker, Murder City Devils, and Modest Mouse too. Joe Strummer put out Global a gogo a few years before he passed :( if you want a truely quality piece of musicianship, pick this CD up. Amazing.

donk

Cyburbian
Frank Zappa solo's, especially off of Joe's Garage album and you can't do that on radio anymore

Pete Townsend - there are a few on quadraphenia plus the pop favourites.

I know there are more...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
SRV

Several different songs... And when he got together with his brother Jimmie, ah, it was fun.

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: guitar

Tom R said:
Maybe a new string: Does anyone have or play a guitar. What make, model, year etc. I
mid-90s Fender American Telecaster

'02 Takamine EG330SC Acoustic-Electric

Solos:

Many of the ones already listed I concur with.

Noel Gallagher - Champagne Supernova

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Guitar Heaven

Any of Frank Zappa's - in additon to being a superb contemporary composer and social critic extraordinaire, the guy had an incredible set of chops.

John McLaughlin - On Miles Davis session "Jack Johnson."

flip58

Gotta wear shades

I love the guitar solo, which is the intro to Sweet Jane. I think that the gutairist on the Rock and Roll Animal album became a college professor.

bocian

Cyburbian
Guitar solos... are they really necessary? Well, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin and CCR did some of the best, in fact, CCR is what I'm listening to right now...

My equipment:

Ibanez Artist 1980
Gibson S-1 1974
Mesa Boogie T-22+ all tube combo
Son of Mesa Boogie. 60 W all tube combo (LOUD!)

Yes, I play.

Planners, keep on rockin'!!!

Last edited:

The Irish One

If I have to pick....

Jerry Garcia Band
12-2-1983 Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA
Someday Baby

Sooooooo electric!

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Brian May (Queen) - We Will Rock You - and that's the original version, not some crappy preteen boyband version (ergh!)

And even though it's not a solo, I really like the beginning of the Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Not exactly a solo...

How about the jam at the end of "The End" on The Beatles' Abbey Road? John, Paul, and George do some major ass-kicking at the end of that album!

Tom R

Cyburbian
srv

Mastiff said:
SRV

Several different songs... And when he got together with his brother Jimmie, ah, it was fun.

Prime stuff. Stevie was great.
Have you heard Jimmy's version of "Six Strings Down?"

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: srv

Tom R said:
Prime stuff. Stevie was great.
Have you heard Jimmy's version of "Six Strings Down?"
Yes, but I don't own a copy...

I could swear he's done that live with the Fab T-Birds, too.

BKM

Cyburbian
The new Skepticism (Finnish "funeral doom" metal band) album Farmakon has some great guitar interludes (described by one reviewer as a "sour guitar) that come in over the dire-sounding organ and drum lines. Awesome stuff-not sure its really a guitar "solo," but still great.

Happy to see that there are a few other metalheads here amongst all the folk and country blues and pop fans :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Kind of on Topic

Went to see Sonic Youth at free outdoor show last night and thought they were brilliant. They had they kind of increadible guitar playing and technical prowess you rarely see in a live show. I don't know if they played a single song without a 5-10 minute break of guitar noise. Freaking awesome

BKM

Cyburbian
I've always loved Sonic Youth. Awesome stuff. Daydream Nation has to be one of my favorite albums.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Re: Kind of on Topic

biscuit said:
Went to see Sonic Youth at free outdoor show last night and thought they were brilliant. They had they kind of increadable guitar playing and technical prowess you rarely see in a live show. I don't know if they played a single song without a 5-10 minute break of guitar noise. Freaking awesome
I saw them for the first time a few months ago and you're right. I always wondered if they could pull their songs off live but they're even better.

green lizard

donk said:
Frank Zappa solo's, especially off of Joe's Garage album and you can't do that on radio anymore

How about Frank Zappa on (spelling?) Zot Allures "Black Napkins".

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: srv

Mastiff said:
Yes, but I don't own a copy...

I could swear he's done that live with the Fab T-Birds, too.
I saw Jimmy in Akron a few years ago and he did it. He was billed just as himself.

H

Cyburbian
CCR - “Heard it through the grape vine”

Song is a little overplayed, but the guitar solo rocks NATIONWIDE!

bocian

Cyburbian
Are you talking about the long version of "I heard it through..." by CCR? I don't even think the single version had a solo - I think it was cut short...

H

Cyburbian
bocian said:
Are you talking about the long version of "I heard it through..." by CCR? I don't even think the single version had a solo - I think it was cut short...
yes the looooooong 14 mintue version!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Strongly agree with Alan (end of Beatle's song "The End" with McCartney, Harrison, and Lennon jumping in and out). I play this song over and over and over.

Would add The Who's "We're Not Gonna Take It" at Isle of Wight Festival (live album).

Would also add Ten Year's After and Jimmy Hendrix on Woodstock album.

Any solo on the first three Zep albums.

Nearly lost my hearing on these. Huh, wh'd ya say?

Could add oh so much more....

Old But Still Loves To Rock Bear

Mark

Cyburbian
Robert Fripp's work on Baby's on Fire, a Brian Eno song.

Eric Clapton, 5 Live Yardbirds, Better Man than I.

Iggy & the Stooges, James Williamson work, Search and Destroy

Frank Zappa, on Apostrophe ( ' ), Apostrophe ( ' ), with Jack Bruce on 6 string bass

spitfly79

Fave Solos

"Alive" Pearl Jam--Mike McCready
"Yellow Ledbetter" PJ--Mike McCready

"Little Wing"--Jimi Hendrix