• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Identify your pooch!

Ok, it seems to me that almost all my planner friends have dogs. So I figured that a person's pets say just as much about them as their cars. So here we go:

Our dogs, Parker and Jesse, are both pound mutts, a black lab/doberman and golden retreiver/ chow chow. both as dumb and cute as pet rocks. only much bigger and smellier.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
identify your pooch

We have a 5 year old Keeshond named Wee Bear (due to his small stature for the breed), and a 3 year old Keeshond named Johnson (Get it?? Keeshond Johnson. We know the spelling is off, but when your verbalize it most people pick up on it right away...)

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
None at the moment....but my past dogs:

Molly: Actually this was my sister's dog....but I count her as mine anyway. :) A mutt mix of a yorkshire terrier and who knows what else. Runt of the litter...turned out to be the best behaved of all of 'em.

Trapper I & II: Black labs. Loved these dogs....unfortunately, both have passed away.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Gunner is a six year old male cross between a Golden Lab and an Akita (we think) from our local pound. He looks like a blond Akita. He is wonderful around people and a friend of mine (one prolifically posting planner on this board) has been known to visit us/ him on occasion for unabashed frolicking, the swilling of beer, and deep planning discussions. Dogs are good.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
I love my dog

Our dog is a tri collie named Maya. A tri collie is not the Lassie variety - they are mostly black with a white bib and brown eyebrows. People pull over on the street to tell me what a good looking dog she is. she is the sweetest and most wonderful animal you could ever meet.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
No dog...but I have a 2 year-old hyperactive tortoiseshell cat named Pandora. Would love to have a dog, but I don't really think it's fair to the beast, living in a one-bedroom condo...

I want a labrador - black or chocolate.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We have a golden retriever about 10 years old (Jesse) and a black lab puppy (Willie).

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Three of them. Millie, a Tibetan Terrier who is going deaf, inherited from my mother; Spice, a mutt runt of the litter that I would label a challenged Gordon Setter; and Little Sh*t, a small hairy thing that is so ugly/cute we couldn't resist the gift. Fortunately the climate is so dry on the High Plains that cleaning the yard is not difficult.

Lenze

We had a wire-haired fox terrier named Ted and currently have an orange tabby cat that occasionally responds to the name Caillou (pronounced KY-YOO).

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'd love a dog -- Australian shepherd, collie, golden retriever or other large dog -- but work or travel too much. Instead, I have a hibiscus named Clarissa. Sure, it can't catch a frisbee and it doesn't chase the rabbits from my gardens, but I enjoy it anyway.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Everyone say "awwwwwww ...."

She's Del Sur's Dock of the Bay, but most of the time she's called Bailey, her namesake being a major street in Buffalo that I grew up near. Bailey is a two year old Portuguese Water Dog, with a white/black parti curly coat. She speaks with a multi-octave range of groans and voices, she laughs, she's naturally fond of children and other animals (she'll follow the lizards and frogs in the yard, but never pick them up or "hunt" them), and she's quite an empath. She's my travelling companion, muse and best friend. She's also an incredible chick magnet. ;)

In the photo, she's seen in what should be a natural state for a Portie -- wet, after a romp at the Lake Baldwin off-leash area in Winter Park. Unlike most Porties, though, Bailey's not an enthusiastic swimmer. She'll splash on beaches and swim out in bodies of water with a gradual slope, but I can't get her to even consider the thought of jumping into my pool.

Bailey used to see other Porties all the time in Denver; here in Orlando, we haven't come across another one yet. In a month, though, Bailey may get a little Portie sister. :)

Some other Portie pages ...

http://www.infive.com
http://www.pwdca.org/WaterDogAlbum/index.htm
http://www.4mydogs.com

poncho

Cyburbian
Blue Tick Hound / doberman named Max and a Norwegian Elk Hound mix named Shotzie, she is getting quite old but still chases the squirels. My yard gets pretty littered even though it is quite large.

Jen

Cyburbian
who let the dogs out?

We have tons of dogs in my neighborhood! They lay in themiddle of the road, roam the woods and ravines, and swim for hours in the lake - they are all mostly friendly huge labs and goldens with every other one being named Bear. But my favorite is Max a shaggy mutt who never barks at my kids.

We have a bitchy black cat Darmah who is not afraid of any of the big dawgs around here. She loves us so much that she too brings us presents of disembowled chipmunks, sometimes just the head.

BKM

Cyburbian
Identify your pooch

Hello, everyone, I have been reading Cyburbia and the forums for a while , and I evenm posted a couple polemical statements on the old boards. But, because I am a dog nut, this thread inspired me to rejoin.

I have three dogs:

1. Max: a very macho, very demanding, but hilarious Rottie/Shepherd cross of some kind. He was tied up to a porch and abandoned when his previous owners walked out on their rental.

2. Scobie: a "neighborhood accident" collie/border collie/golden retriever mix. My athlete and watchdog.

3. Tasha: a pure bred basenji (does that make me a snob-but basenjis are just soooo cool). She is a plump, four year old basenji girl. They don't bark (very often) and are more intelligent than many humans.

Needless to say, my house is quite crowded!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Identify your pooch

BKM said:
3. Tasha: a pure bred basenji (does that make me a snob-but basenjis are just soooo cool). She is a plump, four year old basenji girl. They don't bark (very often) and are more intelligent than many humans.
I don't know if a Portuguese Water Dog can outsnob a Basenji, but Bailey has been accused of having a "yuppie puppy" or "designer dog" on a few occasions. (I got a PWD because they don't shed, a trait that few other medium sized breeds share.) Considering that they were relatively common in Denver, but in Orlando I haven't seen another one, maybe those accusations had some merit. I have seen Caanan Dogs, Havaneses and Kerry Blue Terriers, though.

I've noticed that the popularity of certain dog breeds varies greatly throughout the country. In Denver, for instance, it seemed as if every other dog was a Lab or Golden. Great dogs, mind you, but it seemed as Labs were popular beauce they complemented the "outdoorsy" image so many Denverites wanted to project to the public. If it wasn't a Lab or Golden, it was the Australian Shepherd -- very popular among the patchouli crowd. In Florida, "bait" is quite popular -- lots of Yorkshire Terriers, Lhasa Apsos, Pugs, Shi-Tsus, and the like. Southern New Mexico -- Chihuahuas, Chows and American Staffordshire Terriers seemed to predominate.

pandersen

Cyburbian
My Old Dawg

Hi All:
I don't have a dawg right now as I'm an apartment dweller but desperately miss my last critter.

My old companion was a purebread black labrador retriever. This dawg was by far the best 4 legged member of my immediate family. This jovial, outgoing and well tempered hound was the 6th puppy in a litter of 13 born on Halloween Eve way back in 1987. Around our house he was simply called CHESTER. If by some chance Chester wanted to go outside and harass the wildlife, we sometimes affectionately referred to him as "CHESTER THE MOLESTER".

Damn, I miss that dawg!

Should anyone want to read a short humorous book about how dogs can take control of their owners' lives, I highly recommend a little book titled "The Dog Rules - Damn Near everything"

A comment on the abundance of retreivers, 75% of what is found at the pound are some sort of golden or lab, just because of that breed's propensity to roam far and wide to get some lovin'. My former planning director had a black lab that would turn up 6 miles away after heeding the siren call of someone's female german shepard or beagle.

Jen

Cyburbian
hadda bring back an old thread and where is everyone? I know the upper midwest is under at least a 2 ft blanket of snow!

dan wrote
Bailey used to see other Porties all the time in Denver; here in Orlando, we haven't come across another one yet. In a month, though, Bailey may get a little Portie sister.
Well I have to ask - would that be those cute stray dogs running amok in oakland. Those curly coats are gorgeous how did they escape the clutches of cruella deville? and did one of those porties find her own pool side room in Baileys castle?

Habanero

Cyburbian
my pups

At the ranch we've got 4..
Baloo: a very large mutt with a heart of gold
Lily: Pit Bull/ Lab mix- beautiful white dog
Allegra: Named BEFORE the allergy med. came out.. she's the sweetest chow/sheltie mix
Miss Olivia: Pure bred black standard poodle.. the real ranch dog.

Out of town at the job I've got my 2 lovely babies.. Milli-meter Chrysanthemum and Mister Milo, the two sweetest cats on earth. Milli is a fat Calico and Milo is my little Lynx Point.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Uhhhh ... Bailey, could you move over?

Bailey ... c'mon, I gotta' go to bed ...

Please?

hudsonplanner

the eighty pound hound

I have an 8 year old doberman/beagle mix...this job would be a bit better if I could bring him.. but I have to make due with his picture on my computer and his annual visit on halloween when he dresses up in his ballerina outfit.

prudence

Cyburbian
My dog...

The pet store guy said it was a rare breed...

Actually she was a stray and her name is Reagan.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I saw one of those things in my back yard this morning - didn't have a gun handy so it got away alive.

BKM

Cyburbian
Pooches

Hey, Dan. Try to sleep wedged between two dogs. And, I wonder why I wake up with a sore back some mornings.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Pooches

BKM wrote:
Hey, Dan. Try to sleep wedged between two dogs. And, I wonder why I wake up with a sore back some mornings.
Unfortunately, as of Saturday, Bailey's been banished from the bed when I'm in it. She's on puppy Prozac now, and I have to train her to be more "independent." On Saturday, I worked on a Habitat house for a few hours, and came home to ... well, a carpet that makes a feedlot in Greeley, Colorado seem mild by comparison. It was BAD ... and I just spent $250 a week earlier to have the carpets cleaned. She left "gifts" in several rooms, and also was thoughtful enough to employ the carpet in the same manner that humans employ Charmin.

She's left me too many "gifts" lately, and in recent days it's increased. The vet says it's separation anxiety. Some dogs bark and howl. Some eat furniture. Mine adds biomass to berber. Thus, meds for Bailey!

BKM

Cyburbian
Ugh.

Luckily, that only happens when Max, the roving scavenging machine, snags something even his cast iron stomach can't handle. (Either that, or food containing chicken, I think-yuck!)

Dan, Our black lab X, Jesse, is notorious for consuming shrubs and regurgitating them in our family room. However, we found this amazing stain remover at our linoleum guy's place, I swear it is magic. We ran out a while ago, and haven't needed it since, but I can get the name of the stuff if you would like.

Our new dog drama is that we've introduced Jess to the Halti. We were very lazy dog owners and she never really got the hang of walking nicely on a leash. She's 80 lbs. I'm 115 lbs. I was the one getting walked. Short story long - it was the best $18 I've ever spent on dog paraphenalia - but so far Jessie hates it. Probably because she can't pull her usual sled dog routine with it!

jmf

Cyburbian
Haltis

Just before Christmas we became the proud owners of Maggie, from the pound so she is 3 or 4 years old and 60 lbs of muscle. Since then either I have gotten a strange on-set of repetitive strain injury or Maggie is pulling too hard. So we got a Halti. Two months later, she only really hates it when my husband is walking with us, he refuses to use the Halti (I'm not sure why). I love it, it makes walking her so much easier. The only problem I have been having is keeping the lead from going under her front paws when we are walking but she is getting really good at untangling herself!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Why Dog Turn on Humans

This would provoke any self respecting animal. Unless it was only worn on Oscar Meyer Day.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
3 dogs

a dumb as a brick beagle named Trooper, hes the dogs dog
a way too smart cocker mix named Oreo aka sir grump-a-lot
and last but not least

kia bitch the queen, a rottie with a big soft hart and lots of kisses

my babies!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Praise for the HALTI

I'm amazed!

I purchased a HALTI today on a whim after reading this thread. This thing is great! We used to use the "collar of death." You know those collars with spikes facing inward. My dog could handle the discomfort with no problem. With the HALTI the dog is responding like rack and pinion steering! The dog hates the thing but I don't care.

Thanks for the recommendation KMateja and jmf.

Yay! A convert!

E.G. I'm glad you like it, our dogs also hated theirs for the first couple times, but after a week, I don't even think they know it is there, and it is just SOOOOO much nicer to walk them. I admit, since we moved to the house, we'd gotten really lazy about walking them, just because our shoulders would ache by the time we got home from the walk from them pulling. I've even been taking our more sedentary dog for runs in the morning now, because the Halti keeps her at my pace. Except for the occasional frantic lunge at a squirrel. Thank you Mr./Mrs. Halti Inventor. You've changed my life. :)

Runner

Cyburbian
Here are two of our babies. Maggie (on left) had to be put down after developing bone cancer (broke my heart). Bandit is a big lovable dummy.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ROTTIES!!

THE absolute best dogs ive ever known.

FWIW try the "gentel leader" collar/lead things they work well to the dog cant pull becouse you have them by the head. kinda looks like a mix between a collar and a muzzle so it might worry some folks. But for my beagle i still have to use the collar with thsoe spikes on the inside-dumbass dog!

D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A thread back from the undead

This was too good not to post:

Jeff

Cyburbian
Martin, from the SPCA mostly Rhodesian Ridgeback mixed with some other stuff. He's a maniac.

Habanero

Cyburbian
newest picture

Here's my baby. He was about 4 months in this picture, he's a little over 5 months and about 42 pounds now.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: newest picture

TexasPlanner said:
Here's my baby. He was about 4 months in this picture, he's a little over 5 months and about 42 pounds now.
SWEET! So tell me Tex. I was thinking about getting a Weimie, but I heard they are VERY needy and can be agressive chewers - not necessarily good for someone gone 9 hours a day. How's your boy behaving?

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: Re: newest picture

bturk said:

SWEET! So tell me Tex. I was thinking about getting a Weimie, but I heard they are VERY needy and can be agressive chewers - not necessarily good for someone gone 9 hours a day. How's your boy behaving?
Oh yeah, and how's the dog?

Habanero

Cyburbian
Ah, Hatcher is the sweetest, most adorable creature living. At a little over five months, and after all of his "big dog teeth" have arrived I've only had to say goodbye to 3 individual socks and a shoestring. We've been crate training, so he's fully house trained and sleeps out of the crate at night (has been since he was 3 months old). He's very loving, loves to cuddle and wants lick you to death. He isn't very agressive with other dogs. He is a little needy and he likes to be under my feet when I'm cooking, but he winds up moving. I don't think I'll get any other kind of dog now that I've had him. We're going to put him into training, we're a little late on that, but even with home based stuff he's good on sitting and playing dead. (That was my idea)

We take him to the dog park or out on walks about 2-3 times per week. We're gone for the entire day, and then we leave to go to the gym, he's just happy we come home. I didn't lock him in the crate all the way on Friday (oops) and when James got home Hatcher greeted him at the back door. He'd been out all day and nothing was touched, not even the cats.

Okay, enough gushing.. :)

oh, only bad points- he farts. And I mean FARTS, not the SBD, full on noisy. They're also drippy- they'll drip water all over the floor, so area rugs on tile are a life/butt saver-

el Guapo

Capitalist
bturk said:
OK, I could have been spared the last detail. :)
I don't think it was implied that the farts were drippy. Just the dog drinking water from a bowl. Am I correct here? I just have to know.

Habanero

Cyburbian
ew

yes, he farts AND drips water everywhere, but ths doesn't come out of the same end, but can happen at the same time...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: ew

TexasPlanner said:
yes, he farts AND drips water everywhere, but ths doesn't come out of the same end, but can happen at the same time...
Whew. I thought he was browning...

Habanero

Cyburbian
no, he's just a mess when he eats.

check out www.weim.net if you want other really cute pictures- I've got him on there too. Looking at that website was the thing that pushed us towards getting a weimie-

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I don't have him yet, but we're getting my father-in-law's dog soon. He's in rough shape, and needs to get away from the more aggressive dogs in his current neighborhood. He's blind in one eye, and has an overbite....but Kylie loves Enos and can't wait for him to live with us....

The pics are a year or so old...