• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Identify your tolerance for Greeting Card Holidays

Identify your tolerance for Greeting Card Holidays

• Nada - I hate Hallmark holidays

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • A pat on the back followed by "now get back to work"

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A nice lunch

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Showered him / her with praise, and goobs of good stuff

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Since today is "Administrative Professionals Day", what did you do to show your appreciation for your support staff? My secretary is wonderful - she "runs interference" all the time and does the little things that make all the difference, like pulling relevant files to give me along with the telephone message. A card and a bouquet of a dozen pink roses was the least I could do.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Where's "PLANNER APPRECIATON DAY" ?!?!?!?!

If you don't already know how I feel about our support staff up here, I fully explain my frustrations under Planning Peeves. They did get recognized, but I think it's sad that we act like answering phones and re-filling the paper in the copier is a big deal. I don't see what they do that is so hard, half the time the other staff has to come behind them and field the phone calls because they all want to go out to lunch with one another, or they are too lazy to figure out what our department does so they pass them to us.
Like, just now, I just had to pass a call to Building Inspections that got sent to me (we don't DO fence permits in the Planning Department) and sign for a package because they are all over at one of their desks with their back to the front counter. I'd liek to give them a dozen pink slips-

Where's "PLANNER APPRECIATON DAY" ?!?!?!?!

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Why, EVERYDAY is planner appreciation day, isn't it?

Isn't it?

My section has no admin support...at least not directly.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My support staff is on a cruise in the Carribean right now....I'm answering phones...WHERE'S MY CARD! :p

Jen

Cyburbian
The local new rock radio station guys were calling it working woman's day. Like no guys ever type and do administrative work. I hate hallmark holidays. Religious one's too.

kms

Cyburbian
I don't like hallmark holidays, the ones made up to sell more cards.

The secretaries in my old office all lobbied to have their titles changed, but always accepted the secretaries' day lunch. They once called a big meeting withtthe manager and requested that tech staff address their own envelopes. My reply was that we already type our own letters which saved them time and work and that they could at least prepare the envelopes.

Now they call it administrative professionals' week; I guess the restaurants got too crowded when they just had a day.

I will say that our technical staff secretary was outstanding, and began to assume more technical responsibilities. I won't comment on the rest of them.

el Guapo

Capitalist
It freaks people out...

...when you get married at 35 and then all of a sudden send out Christmas cards for the first time in your life that look they were made by adults. It also helps quiet the persistent rumors.

I hate Christmas cards - but they are an efficient way to get caught up with the people on the fringe of your social agenda. We always include a letter and some photos.

I ignore every other man-made holiday card opportunity.

Jen - no REAL man does secretarial work. Sorry.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: It freaks people out...

El Guapo wrote:
I ignore every other man-made holiday card opportunity.
Does this mean I won't be getting a Save-the-Kittens Day card from you this year El Guapo?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Please let this be the last Kitten Anything!

Please...I'm begging you!

For: Tranplanner - use this as you see fit.

Hi. I am addicted to note cards.

I'm with *****- our staff rocks. Even though I'm the most junior planner on the staff, pots of violets for our three "admin support" - they definitely go above and beyond and I am really really spoiled. However, I also work in an office that goes out of its way to create work for our admin to keep the ladies happy - so anything that gets typed, I fill out a worksheet and the admin types it up for me.

Sadly, I'm a psychotic card sender - I wish there were a 12 step program. But at least I don't just sign the pre-written message, I buy blank cards and write my own sentiment. And christmas cards are a poetical extravaganza - i hate the copied "Christmas Letter" - not to offend any christmas letter-ers. So we write our own christmas limericks about the year's highlights - additional dogs, new house, jobs, etc - short and sweet.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I do the Xerox Letter!

I love getting and sending the letter. Next year I am just going to give a web link to the family Christmas web page. Everyone I send cards to are now on line!

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
This is National Volunteers' Week. Did you remember your board members? I had no choice. Cards were handed to me to sign and send.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Please let this be the last Kitten Anything!

El Guapo wrote:
For: Tranplanner - use this as you see fit.
Good timing - my fiancee has been away for the past three days...

donk

Cyburbian
thank you so much for that site. I just sent my sister in law a card. tremendous, absolutely tremendous.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dare I ask?

KMateja wrote:
I just sent my sister in law a card. tremendous, absolutely tremendous.
Care to tell us which card?

:)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
That is just cruel - you must really get along with your sister-in-law :) Maybe you should hook her up with Dan...

My sister in law and I do get along, for the most part. But I just wouldn't inflict her upon poor Dan. Although she is quite the attractive lass, she can be a bit shallow, and I doubt she'd end up with anyone who couldn't support her Lancome habit, ie: Doctor, Lawyer, CPA. But she really is a crap load of fun to go out with.

Status
Not open for further replies.