• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

If I ever get kicked out of Planning....

So you've been kicked out of Planning. Now where do you work?

• A job still involving some sort of planning - travel planner, event planner, etc.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A job that still involves working with the public - I'm a people person.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A job that doesn't work with the public - I've had enough of those yahoos.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Other - which I'm happy to describe below.

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Today I booked my little brother's christmas flight home from Los Angeles and it struck me that if I weren't a planner, I would love to be a travel agent. It made me so happy to research flights, wait for a good price, pick out his seat assignment and meal preferences (he's getting a Hindu meal - hee!) ( he's not Hindu). I just enjoy planning things - weddings, showers, parties, vacations. And I was thinking, what would other planners do if they were disbarred from Planning?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I'd be...

...a professional assassin.

Does that count as "working with the public"?

I have always been the office/department party planner, so event planning would be a natural progression for me. If I were married to Mr. Rich and Wonderful, I would do event planning for play money while he worked to pay the bills................:D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I would become an Evil Developer and propose new subdivisions in all your cities!

No, really, it might be fun to work on the other side of the table once in a while - historic preservation, "green" development, etc. Alternatively, go back to college for the Ph.D. and become a teacher.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'd be a mountain recluse with a stockpile of arms and dangerous literature instead of a suburban planner with a stockpile of arms and dangerous literature or I'd be a Volvo dealer/salesman/repairman.

Police sharpshooter sounds good also.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would like a job in music. I would consider myself a music nut, so some music related job would be ideal. Concert promotions, CD reviewer, concert reviewer, etc.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
Police sharpshooter sounds good also.
Police sharpshooters don't get much action - too many liberals worried about "excessive force" and what not. I'd suggest going freelance, or maybe team up with Mastiff to form a business.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Geek. Try to make some money from Web development, if that's even possible in the early 2000s. Maybe go back for my PhD.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Choices

Ok then, how about Police Sharpshooter in Houston. The humidity sucks but on the up side you don't have to worry about the ACLU crowd there.

Upon refelection maybe I could be the executive director of Planning Magazine, after all that is not a job in planning, right? Its more of an advertising promotion gig.

Re: Choices

El Guapo said:
Ok then, how about Police Sharpshooter in Houston. The humidity sucks but on the up side you don't have to worry about the ACLU crowd there.

Upon refelection maybe I could be the executive director of Planning Magazine, after all that is not a job in planning, right? Its more of an advertising promotion gig.
You sure you don't want to be a hit man for the mob?? They like to kill at will. ;)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Humm Lawyer for a developer *hey id like to be the tough guy *girl* once in a while

or maybe a fashion designer-on the mroe extreem end of course.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Happy Happy Joy Joy

I'm really working on the kinder and gentler - thousand points of light - kind of El Guapo. Perhaps I can be a kitten handler at a children's literacy petting zoo.

Kitten handler, hey that sounds sort of familiar....

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

El Guapo said:
I'm really working on the kinder and gentler - thousand points of light - kind of El Guapo. Perhaps I can be a kitten handler at a children's literacy petting zoo.

Kitten handler, hey that sounds sort of familiar....
Wear welding gloves... just in case they explode.

If we win the Mega Millions this week, Rob is going to buy an extremely run-down historic house around the corner from us, rehab it for me and we're turning it into a bed and breakfast open only during Saratoga Track season.

We play the "What would you do with $50 mil?" game a lot.

boiker

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

We play the "What would you do with $50 mil?" game a lot.
Don't get me started.

I would buy practically every old historic home in Peoria and renovate them.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Top Ten Dream Jobs

1. Astronaut - old school, not the bus drivers that "pilot" the shuttle
2. Warbird Restorer
3. Professional Student
4. Jazz musician - again old school (bop - not that Kenny G crap)
5. Professional Loafer
6. One of those guys who seems to know everything on "Antiques Roadshow"
7. Somewhat related - historian
8. Steve Thomas on "This Old House" - what a scam!
9. Better yet, Norm Abram on "This Old House."
10. Architect, but not if it involves designing post offices and industrial buildings

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

El Guapo said:
Perhaps I can be a kitten handler at a children's literacy petting zoo.
I dont think I want you petting my children.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A sign

I would be a full time land lord near some university so I could screw all the students the wat they screwed us. I would bar tend at nights just for fun.

Moderators note: This was bturk's 666th post. -El Guapo
Congrats bturk and Lucifer

el Guapo

Capitalist
Resolved: El Guapo will not pet bturk's offspring - legitimate or otherwise.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
PlannerGirl said:
OHHHH

ok

sorry still tired from move, and date

After all, why would Hot Psycho Guy have kids before getting a wife? That's contrary to the mass murder plans... errr. matrimony plans...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I suppose I could go back to my job as a blaster at the quarry. Blowing up stuff is sort of fun. I would have to hire El Guapo to guard the supply shack nowadays.

el Guapo

Capitalist
El Guapo used to be a blaster for Uncle Sam - Perhaps he could share in the joy.

troy

"Motel 6 Manager"--that's been the backup plan since I started planning school. However, based on my disappointment with the quality of the Motel 6 I stayed at while visiting Graceland, we've changed the back up plan to "Super 8 Manager".

Actually, if I were to change professions, I'd like to create something instead of merely regulating other people's work. I'm thinking...have my own farm. I don't know a thing about agriculture, but I'd like to learn.

History/Poli Sci teacher in a local high school would be another option, but I really don't want to have to take the teacher's certification exam. It would be embarrasing if I passed it the first time through when my sister in law has failed the thing repeatedly.... and teaching's what she's trained to do.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Hey, I already gave up my career as a planner and joined the "other side" Pays a whole lot better :)

I'd love to be able to work for the Philly Fire Department (I'm a volunteer now). It has always been my dream job. Unfortunately it's a little hard to go back to the whopping 29K starting salary.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
hears the call of the "dark side" pretty damn strong living in the DC metro area.

NOW SOMEONE HIRE ME!

*notes to herself "its the economy stupid"*

Lol i cant be had but damn skippy i can be bought!

D who feels a rant about income coming on

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Like Mr. DeVuono I have also been kicked out of planning only to fall to the Dark side of development.

But If I was asked to leave the real estate, planning, development business entirely...

Mr. Mom. No Doubt. I can see me shuttling the kids to school, growing a beard, wearing the same flannel shirt every day....

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
El Guapo said:
El Guapo used to be a blaster for Uncle Sam - Perhaps he could share in the joy.

Sure, the more the merrier. Explosives are much more fun when there is a party. Just don't fill the holes all the way to the top with ammonium nitrate. That makes all of the rock go straight up.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I put myself through grad school driving a 40 foot bus around Iowa City, I suppose I could do that again as well.

nerudite

Cyburbian
If money were no object... I would probably work in a video store or book store or something. I have a feeling that my friendly public demeanor would probably change into someing a la "Clerks", but... hey... that could be fun too ;) Especially if I could play roller hockey on the roof...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Wow Giff - you're like a midwestern Renaissance Man!
At one of my many meetings old jobs came up. I was the hit of the party.. uh-oh new thread coming.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Forget about development...
Forget about teaching...
Just put me out to stud.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Job?

I'd be a professional fisherman and raise golden retrievers on the side.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I didn't get kicked out of planning; rather, I left the profession voluntarily. I now own a rural convenience store. Long hours and I don't make much money but I don't miss the night meetings.