• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

If you could bring back one discontinued product, what would it be?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Yeah, I'm OLD

Super Amputee Cat said:
Yeah, I hear you. Drinking Coke or Pepsi out of a real glass bottle did enhanced the flavor more than standard plastic bottles. Plus it always seemed to retain the coldness. Drinking from plastic just isn't the same thing.

Coke and Pepsi are fine out of a bottle, but the best was MILK! I remember the milkman would bring 1/2 gallons and leave 'em in lined tin boxes on the front porch. Cream at the top, too! Now that was sweet!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Re: Yeah, I'm OLD

Gedunker said:
Coke and Pepsi are fine out of a bottle, but the best was MILK! I remember the milkman would bring 1/2 gallons and leave 'em in lined tin boxes on the front porch. Cream at the top, too! Now that was sweet!

Oooooo I miss that too. I remember when I lived in Colorado we got delivered milk in the early 80's.

martini

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Glass returnables disappeared after 1990 in our market, though across the state line in Michigan that carried on a few more years. (I remember seeing some returnable glass coke bottles at gas station in 1992 and being totally floored that they were still available). Also by 1990, even the non-returnable Coke bottles were a thing of the past, leaving only plastic and aluminum.

I can get glass returnables from any one of our local hispanic stores(even in some smarter grocers). They all carry the mixicanized version of Coke in the bottle. I love grabbing them. There's something idfferent about the Mexican Coke recipe too. Its not as sticky sweet as the American version. Since my sweet tooth isn't huge, I like the Mexican version much better.

Oh! Saae thing with Milk too! There's a small diary producer in New Prague MN that brews up its own milk(organic, grass fed cows) and sells it to the Co-ops in the area. ½ gallon jugs and everything. Skim, 1%, 2%, D and chocolate(the chocolate is orgasmic). The 2% and D also have the cream top. Best milk I've had in years.

statler

Cyburbian
Re: Re: OK Soda

MaineMan said:
One time I popped a can, and inside, instead of OK Soda, was a T-shirt!!! (it read "People often envy my special feeling of OK-ness").

Cool!
You don't still have the shirt do you?
Did you ever call the 800 number?

kms

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Kellogg's Concentrate cereal, in the little gold foil box. Not only was it great by itself, it was heavenly when sprinkled on cocoa crispies, sugar smacks, or sugar pops. I even sprinkled it on coffee ice cream - mmmm. Kellogg's discontinued it about 15 years ago.

Is that the cereal that had a confetti texture? I loved it.

I liked Wyler's Rootbeer softdrink mix (like Koolaid).

biscuit

Cyburbian
donk said:
fortmaxb1.jpg

The miracle of Ebay . Only $905 as of now, and the reserve is not met yet.
$905.00!!! Man, I knew I should have held onto my Transformers. Sadly, however, most of them didn't survive being shoved into the Millennuim Falcon and going for flying races against G.I. Joe's F-14 Tomcat off the back deck of the house.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
kms said:
Is that the cereal that had a confetti texture? I loved it.

It was really teeny-tiny flakes and very dense.

Another one remembered: Horlick's Malted milk tablets. Mom and Dad used to get us a jar every time we started a trip, but they'd always be gone by the time we hit the state line.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
martini said:
I can get glass returnables from any one of our local hispanic stores(even in some smarter grocers). They all carry the mixicanized version of Coke in the bottle. I love grabbing them. There's something idfferent about the Mexican Coke recipe too. Its not as sticky sweet as the American version. Since my sweet tooth isn't huge, I like the Mexican version much better.

Yeah, come to think of it, I did see a glass retunrable bottle of Pepsi (from Mexico) in a carryout I patronized a few years ago, but I suspect it was quite expensive. Not the great deals that you used to get when you could by one of those 8-packs.

Back in the late 1980s, all the major bottlers used to sell 10oz glass non-returnable bottles for 30 cents a piece. While they were a little smaller than a 12 oz can, you couldn't beat that price. (And it was out of glass, which was becoming increasingly rare). In fact, some supermarkets even sold them for as low as 25 cents. There were whole bins of them near the aisles - ice cold. And you could mix and match cases: Pepsi, Coke, Slice, Dr. Pepper, Fanta Orange, etc.

They all stopped making them pretty much at the same time around 1988, and I had not seem them for many years. Then one day about a year ago, I saw a 10 oz glass Dr. Pepper in a carry out and was at first thrilled. But when I asked the price, my heart sunk: 75 cents! For a 10 oz bottle! I bought one anyway for old times sake, but the guilt of paying that yuppie tax lessened my enjoyment of the beverage.

The point is, while a lot of this stuff may be still around, it's a lot harder to find, and if you do find it, you'll pay up the a$$. You sure can't go home again, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Repo Man

Cyburbian
As mentioned by others, Jarts would be a nice product to bring back. I have a set in my parents garage that I hope to pass on from generation to generation, like fine china.

I think that AMC pacers should come back.

Andeker Beer too.

donk

Cyburbian

Gedunker said:

Guess I know what I should have sent you. ;)

You can still get milk in glass bottles delivered to your door here. (Honest, from the co-op)

biscuit

Cyburbian

Gedunker said:

That sounds really good. It's a shame I missed out on that.
My mom said that the milkman used to come to our house almost everyday up until after I was born. Go figure... :-D

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
martini said:
There's a small diary producer in New Prague MN...best milk I've had in years.

Martini, when I lived in Plymouth, we used to have milk delivered from a dairy in Anoka, I think - It's been a long time. But it was great. I used to love getting the milk in the Morning. Then when we moved ot New Ulm, we used to get milk from Danheim's in 1/2 gallon glass bottles. Great stuff.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Yeah, I'm OLD

donk said:
You can still get milk in glass bottles delivered to your door here. (Honest, from the co-op)
Do they still sell milk in plastic bags that you snip the corner off of and pour from a plastic holder up there?

el Guapo

Capitalist
I can't believe I forgot this one.

I'd pay market prices for a 2004 Volvo 245GL

245gp.JPG

Jeff

Cyburbian
When I arrived home from Boot Camp I had a six pack of "Pepsi Kona" which my mom saved for me because it came out and was discontinued all within the 3 months I was at Parris Island.

That was some damn good stuff.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
One thing that was kinda' cool about living in Buffalo was that most folks had access to Canadian products that aren't available in most of the United States. For instance, you could get Canadian cigarettes in Buffalo c-stores, if you're into that sort of thing. Head across the border, and you can find Jarts, five gallon flush toilets, unpasteurized cheese from France, and OTC meds that require a script Stateside. Canadian McDonalds also had coke spoons for years after they were gone from American outlets.

eBay is your friend.

donk

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Yeah, I'm OLD

DecaturHawk said:
Do they still sell milk in plastic bags that you snip the corner off of and pour from a plastic holder up there?

milkpouch_1small.jpg

The only reason I know that bottles are available is that the coop sales guy was in my office and was telling me what a great thing it was that we still have milk delivery and glass bottles.

Last edited:

Floridays

Cyburbian
Does anyone remember "Dressy Betsy" and "Dapper Dan?" (I'm obviously dating myself here). These were soft cloth dolls that taught you how to tie shoes, button your buttons, zippers, etc. My brother and I had these. I've tried to find them for my niece/nephew but they don't make 'em anymore. Went onto ebay, and the originals still in their box are going for hundreds of dollars.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
I miss the Chrysler Reliant K.

reliant_1.jpg

***sniff***

Lee, where are you?!! I worship your mad genius!!

pa_lai.jpg

This guy is all about the almighty $$$$$:

schrempp.jpg

Where have all the quality cars gone to?!!!!!

donk

Cyburbian
My first car was a K car, the fun I had in it. It was crazy seeing this $1000 car with $15K of bikes being unloaded from it.

The odd thing was that it had a 5 speed manual transmission.

I drove the hell out of that car, until it exploded on the side of the road on New Years Day.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Pepridge Farm Lemon Turnovers !!!!! I haven't seen one in over 20 years. You can find apple and cherry, but not lemon.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My first car was a Plymouth Reliant wagon that I got for $600. It was a former AT&T car and you could vaguely see the logo etched in the side. It had trouble going over 50 mph and you had to keep stomping on the gas pedal for it to go fast.

It did not attract the ladies.

It was the car's fault not mine.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Seabishop said:
It did not attract the ladies.

It was the car's fault not mine.

You just keep telling yourself that.... ;)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The original, classic NERF football - soft and great fun when dry, but it turned hard as a rock when it got wet. :D

Classic cartoons - "Fat Albert" and "Speed Racer" Do these count as products? ;-) :D

Tom R

Cyburbian
/ 6

The Plymouth/Dodge slant six was a good, durable engine. Bring it back, just get someonw else to change the oil filter (underneath).

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Yeah, I'm OLD

DecaturHawk said:

They do in Nova Scotia... I saw them for the first time when I went to visits Elmo's family this past summer. And how dumb am I? I cut the the corner on the wrong side of the bag (side opposite of the side you pour... ) Doh!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Big Easy King said:
The original, classic NERF football - soft and great fun when dry, but it turned hard as a rock when it got wet. :D

Classic cartoons - "Fat Albert" and "Speed Racer" Do these count as products? ;-) :D

No, No NO! The Itza football. A piece of rubber You'd inflate beyond the normal football size. I had (and still do - over 25 years old) my Itza, only there is a valve leak and it won't stay inflated anymore. My Itza is the original as they used a different more spongy rubber material later. Great times playing football in Minnesota in the dead of the winter at recess.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'm thinking a sweet little red Lotus Esprit. Absolutely impractical, but fun, fun, fun. :-D

NHPlanner

Staff member
I'd be a rich man if I hadn't trashed this toy when I was a kid.....if I knew then what I know now, I never would have opened the box!

deathstar.jpg

ludes98

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I'm thinking a sweet little red Lotus Esprit. Absolutely impractical, but fun, fun, fun. :-D

Oh but the Elise is sweet sweet sweet too.

I miss diazinon. Still have a stockpile though. :)

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
NHPlanner said:
I'd be a rich man if I hadn't trashed this toy when I was a kid.....if I knew then what I know now, I never would have opened the box!

Oh man! I always wanted the Death Star as a kid, but never got it. My brother got the Millenium Falcon and all I got was the Cantina playset. Bummer!

You are a richer man for taking that playset out of the box and playing with it. Don't ever put a price on a fun-filled childhood. I had oodles of Star Wars action figures - still got them - and I am so glad they are beat-up, broken, dirty, and discolored. A toy left in its box is no fun at all!!

NHPlanner

Staff member
Wanigas? said:
Oh man! I always wanted the Death Star as a kid, but never got it. My brother got the Millenium Falcon and all I got was the Cantina playset. Bummer!

You are a richer man for taking that playset out of the box and playing with it. Don't ever put a price on a fun-filled childhood. I had oodles of Star Wars action figures - still got them - and I am so glad they are beat-up, broken, dirty, and discolored. A toy left in its box is no fun at all!!

I have no regrets about playing w/ my assortment of Star Wars toys.....just wish I hadn't completely trashed them when I hit my early teens.....

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:

i agree...the reason the price is so high is b/c some moneybag feels the need to reclaim a piece of thier childhood. and i'm glad that i had a collection of GI Joe Hybrids (where you switched body parts with other Joes to create a new Joe).

donk

Cyburbian
[GEEK ]

I just bought some toys for myself and the boxes actually say "play with it" on them.

http://www.palisadestoys.com

I also picked up some other ones, and carefully removed them from the boxes and put the boxes away for the future.

[/GEEK]

Last edited:

Planderella

Cyburbian
One of my absolute favorite childhood toys was the Woodsey Family Log Cabin set. I mistakenly left it behind when I moved from my childhood home. I moaned and complained about that for years, until I discovered ebay. :)

3c_1.JPG

Bangorian

Re: Re: Re: OK Soda

statler said:
Cool!
You don't still have the shirt do you?
Did you ever call the 800 number?

Nope, I wore the shirt until it was absolutely threadbare! But I sure got my 50 cents worth out of it!

I do remember calling the 1-800 number - it was some funny recording - I can't remember what now, but I do remember thinking that it was the coolest phone call I'd ever made...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Planderella said:
(snip) the Woodsey Family Log Cabin set (snip)

3c_1.JPG

Wow, you just resurrected a favored toy from past past. I loved that thing.