• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

I'm a New Homeowner

pandersen

Cyburbian
Well, after a 3 1/2 year period of working on contract, I have finally been able to buy a house after having been "converted" to a full-time regular permanent employee of the panning acency for which I work.

See the attached picture taken in early november 2003.

Here's the skinny - the 1 owner house built in 1964 is located on a corner lot in a well established neighbourhood and is close to shopping and schools etc. the house is an 1100 sq/ft bungalow and comes with an attached 2 car garage and has central air and hardwood floors with new low "e" windows throughout the mainfloor.

On the "to do" list is a new furnace to replace the 38 year old forced air gas original, ditto for a 15 year old gas fired water heater. I'm also going to upgrade the hydro service from a 100amp to a 200 amp service so I can properly redevelop the basement into additioal livingspace and insulate and put 220V power in the garage (what can I say, cabinet making keeps me out of the bars at night).

Thankfully, my sister is a landscape architect so I've already sent her a survey of the lot along with some photos so she can get busy and design me a new rear deck, landscape plan and some rear yard cedar fencing.

Thoughts or comments.

P.S. sorry about the small size of the photo, but I had to shrink it to this size for the post to be accepted.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Congratulations on the job and the house! :-D

Now, triple the amount of time you expect to complete your "to do" list, especially if you have (or will soon have) young 'uns.

OT: I should have had you bid my cabinets -- the installer arrived yesterday and they have the wrong door style and drawer fronts. Needless to say, Mrs. Gedunker was :-# Happily, they can repace the fronts in less than two weeks (still before the countertops arrive 12.18.).

Good luck with the home!

donk

Cyburbian
congrats and hear that wooshing sound that is your disposable income going into the house.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Congrats pandersen! :) You could have used the cyburbia gallery instead of attaching the file so you wouldn't have had to shrink it so much :p

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Congrats - from one new homeowner to another. Are you in the 'peg? Better make sure the furnace gets replaced before the prairie winter sets in...

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
CONGRATS and welcome to the wonderful world of home ownership and the never ending chores which come along with it.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yay... another planner joins the Canadian homeownership clube! Welcome to the world of shovelling driveways and sidewalks! (I'm only kidding... Elmo does all that. I just watch... heh). Enjoy your new house... that's awesome news :)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I bought my first house in March, 1990 for $15,000. My mortgage was only $163/month, which was less than my car payment of $183! I had two roomates for two years each paying me $100/month + 1/3 of the utilities. So I was basically living there for free.

94OCON0330-2-med.jpg

Now I pay more in taxes per month than my entire old mortgage. A heck of a lot more.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
I bought my first house in March, 1990 for $15,000. My mortgage was only $163/month, which was less than my car payment of $183! I had two roomates for two years each paying me $100/month + 1/3 of the utilities. So I was basically living there for free.
Look at that McMansion, you yuppies are tearing Ohio apart! ;)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Look at that McMansion, you yuppies are tearing Ohio apart! ;)
Heh!

Another thing cool about the house is that I recently found a newspaper ad when it was first offered for sale. For years, I had searched in two Toledo newspapers - The Blade and the News-Bee - hoping to find it, but the closest I came was a view of my street about a year before the house was built. It just showed a vacant lot between two already built houses. (Mine was among the last built on the street).

Anyway, about a year ago, I was perusing through the ads of another Toledo paper - the Toledo Times - and lo and behold, there it was!

94O_CONN0330-A1-med.jpg
Toledo Times: July 26, 1917

Never saw any ice room or old chandeliers though.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Thanks for the Words Of Encouragement

To the folks who thought I was based in the "peg", sorry to disappoint you - I'm in Brandon.

As for the comments about "disposable" income, don't make me laugh - I didn't have any when I rented and I damn sure don't now that me and the bank are homeowners.

What do you mean your shocked that grass grows in Manitoba - they don't call it the Prairies for nothing, dude!

As for home repairs, I've already had my first - I went outside last week to make sure all the exterior garden hose taps were shut off - of course they weren't. I went down to the basement and found the water shutoff for the exterior taps (which had naver been shut off) and proceeded to loosen it up. To make a long story short, I replaced the unit with a new "ball type" valve. hopefully my pipes won't burst this winter now.

I'll see if I can post a couple of larger pictures in the Cyburbia Gallery for anyone who wants a gander.

Cheers!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
pandersen - Congrats and start signing your check over to the local hardware store/big box. I built a new home and my money still goes there.

SAC - Interesting what you found. A little piece history.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Congrats! Its a very exciting time, isnt it? Cool about your sister too - do you like gardening?

donk

Cyburbian
[OT]

Super Amputee Cat said:
I bought my first house in March, 1990 for $15,000. My mortgage was only $163/month,
SAC, I knew I liked you for a reason.

You are the first person i know to have had a smaller mortgage payment then I do. (modern era).

Only thing is that if you take into consideration inflation and the exchange rate, my $181 CDN a month trumps yours. Only 9 more payments and it is all mine.

[/OT]

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Congratulations on both house and job! As a fellow woodworker I will be jealous of you. My workshop is an old farm building and I have to run an extension cord to power it. In winter I move a couple of tools into the basement, but usually can't use my table saw or drill press.

My specialty is avian architecture:

11Mission_1.jpg

11Modern_1-med.jpg

11Mvc-003s-med.jpg

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Thanks for the Words Of Encouragement

pandersen said:
To the folks who thought I was based in the "peg", sorry to disappoint you - I'm in Brandon.
I'm not disappointed - I just never knew where it was in MB you were located. Go Wheat Kings!

Rem

Cyburbian
Congratulations pandersen. Need to pull that turf up and plant some natives;).

Super AC I note from the historic advertisement that yours is a
Dandy House
. Does that mean it is a fabulous house or a house for a fabulous person?:-}