• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

I'm a newbie and not a planner

Bucky alum

Hey all-

I was directed to this site by a friend who is in Grad School in Urban Planning. We disagree on many items, he is for urban renewal, and "New urban design" and "smart growth" Items here that you all have discussed. I don't have a clue what these items mean, but I know what I like and don't like.

Well, I currently work in the airline industry, and as you probably know its not the best time to work for an airline. Basically, I have a few questions that somewhat deal in your field of work. Any insight would be appreciated.

I currently work in Finance for a 'Big 6" airline handling budget items at a hub. It is interesting work as I deal with every department at the hub and see how everything works. I was originally going to be working at Headquarters in the route planning department and profitability department. However that has been put on hold. Additionally, if I want to grow at this company they say I need an MBA or a Masters in a related field. What I am looking for would be a program in school that would teach me about Planning and forecasting in the transportation field? Is there such a thing? Are there any schools that are better than the rest? I mean I read the thread that states it doesn't matter where to go to school.

At the same time if I went and got a Masters in transportation and planning what sort of jobs could i get? I would love to work on developing plans for rail projects and regional projects, more on the financial viability, not in the engineering side, nor figuring out signage requirements. Would I be able to work in a consulting mannor right out of grad school, with my experience in the airlines? I just cannot see myself working in public works, my experiences with them have been a beaurocratic mess and I would go nuts.

Thanks, any ideas thoughts would be great. BTW, I love the site. It keeps me interested in what is happening in the real world.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia. As you have probably noticed, we don't just talk planning, so feel free to join in. My take on what you've described is that you might be more interested in logistics management than in "planning." Though many of the railroads have historically been big players in land development, there are not many jobs in railroad-related land use planning.

I went to grad school in geography with someone who wrote his thesis on the feasibility of a passenger/freight rail connection between Chicago and St. Louis, but this is unusual. Most of that type of study would be found in a college of business.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Transportation planning may be of benefit. We have a few posters from that field, and perhaps they can relate their experiences, especially the difference between transportation engineering and planning.

Bucky alum

Michael thanks for the quick reply

Yeah I've thought about the logistics side of the business, but in actuality I am more interested about the movement of humans. Like in my previous note, I mentioned the macro level but I also do care about the micro level, as in where to put electronic service check in machines in a terminal. i don't mind the layout of the airport that I work in the but the signage is absolutely horrible. Unfortunately there isn't anything our company can do about it as it goes through the government organization that runs the airport.

I don't know too much about the planning side of business, but where I live in NJ is a great town, with a traditional downtown and a train station as a meeting point. Actually there was in article on Planitzen about it a few weeks ago it, my town is Maplewood, NJ. I am amazed by the article as he makes the relationship between the town and the NJ Transit line much more important than it is. Don't get me wrong, Maplewood is a nice town, but as a model for other communtities outside of the Northeast it ain't.

Mike Gurnee- Thanks I guess I was afraid of Transportation Engineering but I wasn't sure it was seperate for Transportation Planning.

BTW, if you have any airline related questions feel free to let me know.

Thanks all. i enjoy the site.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Re: Michael thanks for the quick reply

Bucky alum said:
BTW, if you have any airline related questions feel free to let me know.
Are you sure you want to open up that can of worms?

Welcome aboard!