• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! I'm Back / An update

donk

Cyburbian
First I’ve missed you all, what other set of degenerates (in a good way) could I commiserate with. Well, I’m back on line and the last 3 months have been a whirl wind of activity, both good and bad and both professionally and personally. Here is a brief outline of what has happened.

Work

Never thought I could find a more backward place then where I was, but I did. When was the last time you had to cut and paste(by hand) schedules for maps together, here it is a regular requirement. The really odd thing is that the other staff people think it is normal.

By-laws and Plans. I think I’ve found the worst set of documents ever. I administer 13 By-laws each having their own peculiarities. For example, null references (referring to sections that don’t exist is common), uses listed only in the definition section, but nowhere else and generally poorly written Plans and By-laws. I think the grey in my hair and weight loss can be attributed to this.

IT Department, the tightest bunch of guys ever. We can’t use typical things online, like canada411 due to security reasons as they feel it was being abused in the past. I can’t even change the time on the clock on my computer to match the others on my phone and the office wall. I have not posted from work, as I somewhat fear the IT guys would track me down.

Sick days, yes you get 15 per year, but only 5 at 100% and after 3 you need a Dr’s note. I also ended up being sent home sick and was docked the pay a month later.

Generally, still super unhappy with my profession and have decided to start trying to figure something else out to do for a job.

Play

Have lost nearly 30 pounds since moving here, from stress and just generally not feeling like eating combined with a bit of riding.

Great apartment, cheap. 13 x 17 foot living room, 12 foot ceiling, bay window, hardwood throughout.

Love life. Had an intense(physically and emotionally for me) 2 month relationship with a hot, smart and rich girl. Unfortunately, she found out a planner’s earning potential is and called things off. There is a bit more to the story, but not much. I have a feeling this is going to take a while to play out, on/off/on/off.

Bike riding, got my new mtb fork (MX Pro 100) and shoes (Sidi Dominators) and also ended up needing a new rear wheel for the road bike (105 on a Mavic Open Pro), ouch.

Had a good time meeting Plannerbabs and playing taxi driver in Toronto.

After waiting nearly a month for my ISP to give me a Ethernet adapter, hooked up my computer, and the monitor was dead.

With the new health care fees introduced here, I now actually take home less than I did before, even with a raise. Not good especially when combined with my girl troubles.

Generally, this has been one of the biggest mistakes I probably could have done. At least you folks are still around to bitch and cry to. Look forward to meeting a few of you at the laefest in TO. Unfortunately, I have a bike race that weekend so I’m not sure how much time I’ll have to hang out.

Today was a really slow day so I am risking posting, plus I don’t really care about this job at all. Once I get set up at home, I’ll be back more frequently.

Finally, to everyone who has had a baby, found out they are going to have a baby, got married, got engaged, had a birthday, found a new job, and/or is generally getting along fine congratulations and keep smiling.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Welcome back. I had heard things weren't going as well as expected.....if you're looking to move again, Laconia, NH (see the Kiosk) is looking for a Planning Director (and the consultant they've been using has hounded me to see if I know anyone looking....even tried to get me to apply, but I'm too content where I am).

Hope things get better on the personal side, and you know where to find me if you want to chat. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
It's great to have you back Donk. I'm sure I speak for the rest of the degenerates when I say that you have been sorely missed around here. It really sucks to hear about your professional and personal troubles. Who knows, maybe the crappy move and the even crappier job is just a lead in to bigger and much better things. I know that's how it worked out for me. :-D

Welcome back, if it's any consolation, we've missed you around here. I hope things will get better for you. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome Back. Sorry to hear things aren't what you had hoped for.

Lots changed around here too. You've got some catching up to do!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Good see your doing OK-ish.

As for rethinking you profession, I say look around.

Does your new community need a bike shop?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Glad to have you Donk, hang in there I think many of us have been in your shoes in recent years-we are here for ya.

Good luck and welcome "home"

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Gee, I kinda figured being able to hang out with me on a regular basis made up for all the crap you've been going through. ;-)

Welcome back!

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
First off, good to hear your still alive and I look forward to hearing from you more in the hopefully not to distant future.

Sound like you took a step into the stone ages and all with the cutting and pasteing thing.

Good to hear your still riding, I know somtimes when people get stresses or depresses they lose interest in the things they love. I'm glad to hear your still biking, It is a great release of stress and I know it helps me blow off steam.

Anyway, welcome back.

martini

Cyburbian
Good to see you back Donk. At least you get to say you've lost wieght out of this deal, eh? I hope you're able to find what you need out of this deal. I know you were excited to get there, after the seeming hole you were in before. Its amazing what things DON'T come out about jobs in interviews.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Welcome back. Hopefully the area you're in isn't as bad as where you were even if the job sucks - less inbreeding, threats to animals etc. Are you close enough to the Toronto area to look for another job without having to move again? And of course, better to have loved and lost than to be stuck in New Brunswick with no dating prospects.

If you apply to Laconia I hope you like the Harley scene. ;-) (Don't tell the consultant I said that.)

Welcome back. A number of folks joined Teh Clube while you were away. So, time for you to start posting more often so we don't catch up too much. :-D

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Welcome back, Donk. I'm hoping things turn around for you. :b:

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome back donk from the Cyburbia Support Group :-D Sounds like you've had a hard time but you've still got your head screwed on right so you'll get through things. Look forward to meeting you in TO!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Well crap! That sucks that you made this move and it's ended up disappointing. Is there any way that you can work those awful bylaws into a comprehensive update of the regulations? Our LUB really sucks out here, but it makes me feel better to think that I'm vastly improving the archaic, draconian document.

I'm glad to see that you are at least getting to be more socially active... at least your proximity nearish to TO lets you get out from time to time. Big *hugs* for you... I wish there was more I can do. Sure you don't want to move to Alberta? We have lots of jobs out here!

Habanero

Cyburbian
It's so good to have you back. I'm sorry things are crap right now, but it can only get better. :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Glad to hear from you again donk -- we really have missed you in these parts! If it is any consolation, I'm dealing with a zoning code that hasn't had a major upgrade since 1972 (part of the reason we are currently in Federal court on a First Amendment {the right to free speech for our international members} complaint).Sorry about the hottie but if she's only interested in $$$canadian, well "I used her and she used me. Neither one cared, we were both getting our share." ;-)

Hope it all works out -- we're all pulling for you!

Rem

Cyburbian
Pleased to see you posting again Donk. I am amongst the many that missed reading your posts.

Chet said:
Lots changed around here too. You've got some catching up to do!
Just to fill you in on some of the stranger turns of event:
Dan seems to be spending a high proportion of his personal life focussed on Guiness and Bailey.
Cardinal is weighing up another job.
elGuapo has become a little conservative in his political outlook.
SA Cat, Nerudite, JNA, Plannergirl and Tranplanner have not become a little conservative in their political outlook.
MichelleZone's posts occasionally have unintended consequences that generate more discourse than the original topic.
Michaelskis has started being too charming with the ladies.
Chet has developed a scathing wit.
JNL is torturing young single males.
DOD is brewing beer.
Budgie and Rumpy now like to drink and pick fights.
I think there's something going on between Planderella and BEK and seperately between NH Planner and Planner Groupie.
Oh and did I mention my sex change surgery? ;-)

el Guapo

Capitalist
DONK
Bummer man. Sorry to hear it went down a notch overall. As to the intense love affair: May I live vicariously through your exlpoits? The only thing getting lately ridden around at casa el Guapo is the Trek 1000 . ;)

Dean Wormer: "Donk, Hot Smart and Rich is what it is all about. Bring your "A" game to the bedroom and she'd marry a McDonalds cook."

On a personal cycling note: I've already doubled last year's mileage and I'm only 1/3 of the way through the season.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend
Come inside! Come inside! ....
Come inside, the show's about to start
guaranteed to blow your head apart

Artist: Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Song Title: Karn Evil 9 First Impression
Album Lyrics: Brain Salad Surgery

Q. Wondering what was meant by
REM said:
have not become a little conservative in their political outlook.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome back, donk! Sorry to hear that things are not working out as well as you hoped. I'll be seeing you in Toronto.

Rem

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
So, in other words, REM, not much has changed but your sex?
Exactly. :)
JNA said:
Q. Wondering what was meant by
You seem to enjoy discussions with the conservatives - but from a differing standpoint. Maybe I'm confused. :-$

Rem said:
MichelleZone's posts occasionally have unintended consequences that generate more discourse than the original topic.
I think he knew that. The real news is that I now sometimes start threads. Those generally wither and die on the vine. |-)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Welcome back...

For a moment I thought that you moved to Reading PA from how you said you job was going.

donk

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Welcome back...

For a moment I thought that you moved to Reading PA from how you said you job was going.
At least in Reading, I'd be able to buy one of my favourite pants (Bills Khaki's).

Thanks for the kind words, i'll see some of you in TO in a few weeks.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
donk said:
Love life. Had an intense(physically and emotionally for me) 2 month relationship with a hot, smart and rich girl. Unfortunately, she found out a planner’s earning potential is and called things off.
Somebody's gonna pay a hefty price to keep that maintained. Glad, for your sake, it won't be you. Point her out to the nearest Starbucks so she can pick out some poser.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Oh and did I mention my sex change surgery? ;-)
Now I'll really have to visit Australia :f: ;-)

Welcome back Donk, I seem to be at the edge of the cliff as well, but hang in there:b:

Everbody loves kittens ;-)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Great to see you back on the boards. If I were closer, I'd buy you the microbrew of the region, but this will have to do. :b:
And if the planning bit doesn't work, you'd be a great tour guide! :-D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When I first saw the subject line, I thought it read:

I'm Black / An Update

Anyhow, some glurge.

jmf

Cyburbian
Donk -

Sorry to hear things have been crappy - hope things look up. As you know my life is changing drastically in August - and planning in NS has changed a bit - Halifax Rgional Munipaity is actually creating new full time planner positions! By the time I go back to work the whole face of planning in NS may have changed!

take care

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Hello Donk.
Nice to have you back.
Now that you are able to write about your travails means that you are already looking ahead.
So all the best from my side.

OT:
I just got back from a vacation, so have missed out on a lot of cyburbia action.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
It's a shame that things are going not so well, but as far as you have told, it's still not as crappy as before, right? Anyways, keep you head high and don't let it get to you! you can make your life a living hell without it really being one, and you can also make your life better even if it's not that good, just cheer up :)

Dang, I've been off th hook lately... too much studies, and more to come, specially with the lovely exam period comming :( I'll try to keep in touch!