• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

I'm having an office affair....

Status
Not open for further replies.

el Guapo

Capitalist
No, not really!

But this is what one of the clerical staff members think and she joked about it with a co-worker yesterday. I overheard them. I guess it is because I am friendly and kind towards the ladies in the office. I get along with women better than most men my age. Being of a different generation, I guess I know that I can work with the opposite sex and not want to bone them all everyday.

The rumor spreader is limited in cognitive functionality and life experince. If she can't grasp a concept "you must be up to something." I'm sure you have met the kind that thinks "college kids" have had it easy their whole lives. She is the kind of person that wallows in blue collar stew. Thus, we don't connect well.

What pisses me off is that the clerk that thinks I am not honoring my wedding vows is also the blabbery type. So in a matter of days the rumor will spread if it is not already done. I adore my wife and wouldn't even entertain the thought of straying. But, I am not going to change to quash the rumors. I didn't do anything wrong. I guess I just have to live with it? Suggestions.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that wouldn't result in a sexual harrassment or murder rap for you.

My fiancee absolutely could not stand one woman in the office I used to work at - she was a big flirt and my fiancee was convinced she was after me. Fortunately for me, I relocated down south - but I don't think that's an option for you.

Hope your wife is the understanding type :)

eeek.... El Guapo, sadly, once the rumor mill is started, not too much can slow it down. Do you have someone in the office that is clued into the gossip network, but you still trust, and say to them "Hey, I don't want to seem paranoid, but is someone starting xyz rumor?" If its true, then I would casually point out how insane and ridiculous such speculation would be, yada yada yada.

Or...

leave it alone. the people that you work with that do respect you and know you well, will know that you would never cheat on your wife.... and as long as you aren't having an affair and providing grist for the gossip mill, it will eventually go away.

regardless, its a crappy situation, sorry Jefe.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
At my stage in life I would relish the thought that someone thought I was capable of an affair. But in your shoes (combat boots) I would share the rumor with the scorned female and make a joke of it. Now, if the person you are accused of being intimate with says something like "well, it everyone thinks it, we ought to enjoy it...", then there is another problem. Oft times the rumor spreader is jealous of your closeness to someone else. Ah, the joys of internal politics...makes the external politics of our jobs trivial.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Sounds like a terrible situation. Maybe take this lady aside and say that you overheard her spreading this rumor and that it was untrue and you expected more from her. The "I would have expected more from you" usually gets people thinking."

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It could be worse

Cheer Up. The rumor could be about you and that hairy, burly male DPW Director...

Jeff

Cyburbian
Hmmm...sure you don't work at my old job?

Don't address the a..hole. It's not worth the aggrivation. I went through it all, it just ain't worth it.

Last edited:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Just wink and smile at her everyday like she knows somthing. Or you could start a counter rumour about you and her...that might work..... Is she married? If so you could send anonymous stuff to her house. Flowers, pizzas, dead fish, magazine subscriptions....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have found that the one spreading the rumors is usually the one doing something "bad"... Hold your head high and wait for it to boomerang on the guilty party.

Queen B

Cyburbian
You did get us to look!!!
Have you told your wife. If she would take it ok you should.
Don't change your behavior. Be your sweet self.
It will blow over.

Rem

Cyburbian
LOL Zoning Goddess and Queen B - you guys need to check out the start date of this thread. It's been revived by the Hollywood type who wants a smutty story for a reality TV show.

eG there might be a bit of cash available for you here if you are prepared to make up a story. Maybe Cyburbia could start its own "Diary of an Affair" - a bit like the corrupt wish game.

Using tks90046 formulae of course, we could write an amazing diary I am sure. Though I think we should stick to our strengths and leave "tasteful and mature" to others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
And I always thought the style network was about getting second tier, no, wait, make that third tier, celebrities like "Survivor" losers to host shows about going to flea markets and help us barter for barettes and haggle for hats.

Ms. Selier, what does your network have up its sleeve?! Are you trying to tell us that you've scooped Dr. Phil?!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hmmm something's telling me that Ms Selier just registered to post that... Isn't that like.. spam? At least it has nothing to do with planning, and is just trying to scope for candidates for her show. And from what I read of EG's post... you don't have much material for the show lady... NOTHING HAPPENED! LEARN TO READ! :-@

Jen

Cyburbian
I think our man at large is in Bollywood as we speak, preparing for his screen test

::snerk::

what a strange thread to get revived and spammed... :-$

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Maybe it isn't so strange that this thread was revived. I'm sure there are many Hollywood types perusing Cyburbia in search of background for movies about planning and planners. I hear Pixar has just purchased the rights to "The Zoning Game Revisited" and Spielberg is planning to do a movie based on the writings of Ian McHarg.

Actually, I have wondered sometimes if Letterman's writers shouldn't sometimes be searching here for ideas.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
And the heavy hand of moderation intervenes...

Alright folks, nothing to see here, move along...thread closed, spammer banned.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.