• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

I'm introducing myself...

PBJ

greetings planner people,

i'm a first year masters student in urban design & planning at the univ. of washington, seattle. i am interested in historic preservation and real estate development, particularly revitalization of inner city neighborhoods.

is there anyone practicing real estate and hp? if so, i'd like to know what you like about the field, what got you there, and what important skills/knowledge are useful to learn while i am in grad school.

i am currently interning w/ the city and am working on citizen participation and transportation projects (particularly seattle's proposal to build a 14 mile inner-city monorail).

thanks,
pbj

el Guapo

Capitalist
Welcome

Welcome to Cyburbia! For some reason I have a hankering for a sandwich?

Oh, I almost forgot - Nobody looks at your grades on a masters and everything in life after college is down hill (your body starts to decay the moment you leave college - true scientific fact) so party very hard and worry about making a living later. You only need one professor as a reference - so make sure at least one is happy with you. Remember: your masters is just as good as the one the Valedictorian received.

If you want to save some money and redirect it towards your party fund go to the link below.

http://www.boxfreeconcepts.com/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/magicmill/creatediploma.html

Last edited:

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Hi pbj.

Welcome to cyburbia. I think that you will find many interesting old posts about historic preservation (schools, internships...) on the planning student lounge.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Welcome to the boards! Please feel free to jump in and participate ... we value your presence here, especially considering you took the time to say "hi!"

Seattle ... tell me, do people really take minutes to order a cup of coffee in that town, ratling off tens little details that must be executed precisely by the barista under threat of facing a very POed customer?

PBJ

Yes, it's true

hey dan,

thanks for taking the time to say 'hello'! yes, it is very true...all Seattleites pretty much know their 'coffee' talk. We like our coffee and want it done right...esp. since there are just tens of thousands of options in our coffee shops. From plain ol' black to south african, tahitian blend, with essence of whatever herb it is that they are marketing that day...

most importantly is the coffee shop culture. there are some shops that you cannot walk into depending on how you are dressed and much more goes on in coffee shops than just drinking coffee, such as live music/poetry shows in the evenings.

what's orlando like?

Mary

Seattle's coffee shops used to amaze me even being used to the northwest addiction to coffee shops. I remember interviewing for a job in Seattle and finding 5 coffee shops in the block where I took my interview. The funnies part about this was that it was only one side of one street of the block I was counting the shops on.

My husband after being in the Seattle area for awhile now craves coffee shops hunts for them and wouldn't mind owning one. It must be some kind of Seattle addition.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I remember an episode of the Simpsons where bart goes into a mall. As he is walking along, one storefront after another is being converted to a Starbucks. By the time he leaves (coffee in hand) every store in the mall is a Starbucks.

Jen

Cyburbian
nick jr is just for me

I know Mrs. Beaver, she is Franklin and Harriets babysitter!