• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

I'm SO alone...on cyburbia

Wanigas? said:
Au contraire mon frere!

Last time I checked, I wasn't your "brother", mon ami. I am not even the right gender to be called "brother". :)

What you say may well be true. All I know is that when I speak with someone who speaks English as a second language, they are often reticent and apologetic. But I grew up in a bi-lingual home and my general attitude and willingness and ability to make a little extra effort and understand them puts them at ease. I have had lengthy conversations with folks who spoke English very poorly and didn't want to talk to me at all at first because they figured I would give them a hard time.

On a long bus trip, I sat next to a Cuban man who had started his trip in Alaska and was quite exhausted. I spoke of how hard it is to think of words in another language when you are already tired, the fact that I grew up in a bi-lingual home but I am not fluent in any other language and how impressed I am by anyonewho speaks English as a second language, and things like that. He ended up not only having a long conversation with me, but helping me with my luggage and generally being protective and doting. He was quite charmed.

I think a lot of Americans have a tendency to act like someone is "stupid" if their English isn't great -- and never mind that few Americans speak another language fluently.