• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

I'm Taking Yoga

Jeff

Cyburbian
OK, I'm signed up for the whole Yoga thing.

Anyone ever do this before.

My cycling coach did some with us last night after our training session and it seemed really cool so I'm gonna try it.

Anyone? Bueller?

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm very high stress and it was the only think that made any sense, and the only thing that worked. Don't push yourself too hard, although I'm sure you know that. Have fun!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SERENITY NOW!

Nope. Too peacenik for me. I'm back on my exercise bandwagon though.

Nummy Whey Protein and Creatine for all!

Mike, My gym offers a twice weekly yoga class and I never miss it if I can help it. Aside from the obvious stress release, I have definitely noticed a huge increase in my flexibility and balance since starting. However, I've taken yoga with good instructors and crappy instructors, and the good ones make all the difference, but then, i guess it is that way with everything.

oh, and i forgot to mention that since starting the new yoga, i find myself working some of the poses into my everyday workout warm ups and cool downs because they're so much more effective stretches.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Well actually I would like to take it to help my breathing.

My VO2max is a lousy 3.25ml/kg/min which means absolutely nothing to you, but it basically means I get smoked on the hills in my bike races.

So. does Yoga really improve breathing? I'm going to try it. How does it help with weight loss though. Is it really physical?

This is where I'm going....

http://www.yogaonmain.com

Also, it's a way to include my wife in my training because she is always bitchin that I'm out on my bike or running. She's going to do "prenatal yoga"

It totally depends on what kind of yoga you're doing as to how physical it is. The ashtanga is pretty strenuous.

As for the breathing, my instructor's favorite quote is: "If you aren't breathing, it isn't yoga." Followed by "If it hurts, it isn't yoga". Considering that you spend almost the entire session focused on your breathing, I can see where it might help. I would definitely talk to the class instructor and explain what your goals are, so he/she knows what to focus on with you.

JNL

Cyburbian
I really enjoy my Pilates classes - similar to yoga but without the spiritual side, and has less weird positions. Actually, when I think about it, there are some pretty crazy looking poses in the advanced section of a book I have on Pilates.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mike DeVuono said:
Well actually I would like to take it to help my breathing...I get smoked on the hills in my bike races.
Maybe you should quit smoking, at least while riding your bicycle.

donk

Cyburbian
I was at the Dr. last week and his suggestion was Tai Chi over yoga for flexibility and core strengthening.

You better start woking on the climbing if you're going to ride the C40. (can't find the thread, but I remember what you said)

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
I was at the Dr. last week and his suggestion was Tai Chi over yoga for flexibility and core strengthening.

You better start woking on the climbing if you're going to ride the C40. (can't find the thread, but I remember what you said)
Go to Mastiffs pissed of post and look at the USGS quad of where I live. I work on climbing every day (unvoluntary). ;)

Been there done that. I rather relieve stress by doing something aggressive like playing tennis or raquetball.

dmvallie

Cyburbian
I took a yoga class and loved it, istill work some of it into my everyday stretches but i wish that i had time to take another class.

Mike,
When does yoga start?

On Friday I had to go in for the three hour glucose tolerance test at the blood lab and got yelled at by the lady for practicing my Ujai breathing (deep strong breaths to relax you in stressful situations - getting 5 needles stuck in me over the course of three hours definitely qualifies as stressful for me!). She said that when you took deep breaths, your veins would retreat/jump around? wtf? she preferred for me to breathe shallowly. blargh. yoga is apparantly the enemy of phlebotomists.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I'm going to try to go tomorrow. All the classes around here are weekday mornings except for a couple which conflict with my biking schedule. But there is a beginner one tomorrow night, and my wife is going to take "pre-natal yoga" on Thursday.