• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

I'm the coldest I've ever been!

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's currently -32C (-26F) with a windchill of -46C (-52F). I was plugging in the car out at the employee parking lot and my fingers started to freeze through my gloves. Brrrrrrr. This is the coldest temperature I have ever walked outside in. Thank god this will only last a few days before the relative balmy temperature of -10C (14F) sets in later this week.

Last edited:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We read down here that those kinds of temperatures are really dangerous to go out in. And they make you go to work in that? Ouch!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Currently 9 F (-13 C), with high of 20 F today. Thats what you guys get for sending us that cold air 2 weeks ago;)

SGB

Cyburbian
Nerudite -

I'd say it's time for a warmer pair of gloves.

When it's that cold, I'd recommend a lined pair of wool gloves plus an additional liner. Good for short term stints in those temps and winds. For long term, I'd say go with heavy mittens plus liner gloves.

Hang in there!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Lightweights, all of you!

This last week, it's been around -10ish Celsuis or +10ish Fahrenheit. The sturdy Great Lakes stock around here deal with it.

Here are some scenes from balmy Buffalo.

RUGGED!

Temperatures like that are just unheard of down here. Today's high - a balmy 74 degrees, but it's supposed to be cold again tomorrow - in the 50's.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yipe and im bitching about 18 degrees. I thought the salt mix they put on the roads stoped working at 20 degrees so how do they keep the roads passible in that kind of cold/snow?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
SGB said:
Nerudite -

I'd say it's time for a warmer pair of gloves.

When it's that cold, I'd recommend a lined pair of wool gloves plus an additional liner. Good for short term stints in those temps and winds. For long term, I'd say go with heavy mittens plus liner gloves.

Hang in there!

Back in Grad school when I was driving buses around Iowa City to pay my bills, I "aquired" a pair of Columbia ski gloves from the Lost and Found......hey, I let them stay there till spring,.... anyway, they are so warm it has to be below about 10F or my hands get too hot.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Currently 28F and snowing; high of 30F today. About 2 weeks ago it got down to
-25F.

Great frig, RT; can I come and stay with you for awhile? :b:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We've had sustained cold around here too, but not that cold!

How cold is it? Cold enough that a tailgate hinge on my SUV snapped into three pieces when I slammed the tailgate. Thats what I call cold...

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Today's high - a balmy 74 degrees, but it's supposed to be cold again tomorrow - in the 50's.
This day-to-day "up and down" weather is disgusting! People get sick here because of it!

nerudite

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Yipe and im bitching about 18 degrees. I thought the salt mix they put on the roads stoped working at 20 degrees so how do they keep the roads passible in that kind of cold/snow?
Well, the streets are icy... you just slow down and give yourself plenty of time to brake. There are accidents all over, but people here are generally used to it. Any snow we have (and there was a lot over the weekend) is graded off the main arterials and bus routes. The local streets are just nasty.

donk

Cyburbian
It has been bitter here again.

Last night it was -45 with wind chill. Car almost did not start this morning, even plugged in with a brand new battery.

For traction, here, they allow for studded tires and use lots and lots of sand. People wonder why the roads are in such bad shape come spring, meat grinders and coarse sand paper being rubbed into everything.

As for having to work, they tend to close the schools when it is this cold. Some kids have been only twice in the last 2 and a half weeks, we got 1 day off due to too much snow.

At least no frozen pipes this week.(So far)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Meh. I've been camping in -42° F (which is actually about -42° C as well).

As Chet said, it has been somewhat cold here. Yesterday I found a red-belied woodpecker frozen to a tree. RIP.

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
As for having to work, they tend to close the schools when it is this cold. Some kids have been only twice in the last 2 and a half weeks, we got 1 day off due to too much snow.
They have never closed work since I've been here (a little over two years now). I think you are just supposed to tough it out no matter what the conditions are.

Luckily the kids don't have school today. I have no idea if they'll get the next few days off for the cold weather though.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Yesterday, sunday, Jan 25, here in SW Indiana we had freezing rain that coated everything with at least a 1/2 of an inch of ICE.
Schools are closed today but not work :-c

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Yesterday, sunday, Jan 25, here in SW Indiana we had freezing rain that coated everything with at least a 1/2 of an inch of ICE.
Yeah, we had five days (off and on) of freezing rain last week and the week before. It was trippy, because all of the snow looked like frozen waves in the moonlight. It looked like our neighbourhood had flooded and froze. It was so cool! Of course, driving was a pain... but it looked really neat.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yep, we got the ice too, plus a few inches of snow. Amazingly, hardly any schools are closed, and getting to work was pretty easy. And boy, am I glad my car has heated seats/wing mirrors/windshield washer fluid. Nice and toasty. Almost hated to get out.

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
They have never closed work since I've been here (a little over two years now). I think you are just supposed to tough it out no matter what the conditions are.
The day we got off of work, I walked the 8 blocks to the office because my street was not ploughed out. They did not plough it out until 4:00PM. If I can't get to work, no one is probably coming in for a permit or information request.

The worst thing is that we have gorgeous snow right now for cross country skiing, but it is too cold to be outside.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Our heat here in the office just died about 30 minutes ago. Some kind of furnace problem. It's getting cold in here fast. I think we're going to Dunkin' Donuts for our staff meeting... :-\

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Parents keep their kids from going to school around here when the weather gets to around -30C. I know I wouldn't want to go out in it, never mind sending my kids into it, especially with the winter clothes they currently wear. It's almost unheard of for local city schools to close, no matter what the temperature. Bad snowstorms can affect them once in a while (but not that often...maybe once every other year or so). Rural schools get "snow days" a little more often, since most of the student body is bussed in.

The coldest I can ever remember being out in was about -42C, with a wind chill below -60C. There were eunuch brass monkeys everywhere.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Nerudite - Check the local maternity ward's birthing statistics at the end of September. I'm guessing there will be an unusuall level of activity. :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
Schools are closed today but not work :-c
We got the same stuff here -- about .75"

It freaked me out because the neighbors have a huge old water maple in the back yard that overhangs my electric service and my garage, which is really more barn than garage since it hasn't seen a car in the 9 years we've owned the place, but lots of neighborhood animals make it their home. The City Forester said it had five years, maybe. That was four years ago. When it goes, it will land on the garage.

Mrs. Gedunker and I worked on the never-ending kitchen remodel with a watchful eye. Fortunately, the ice didn't get it yesterday. Tonight the forecast is for re-freezing and up to 2" of new snow. My worries are not yet over, it seems.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hmmm it looks like it's the best time of the year to go to Yukon... -54ºF ! 8-!

Well, mabye this year I'll see more snow than in other years, since I'll be in Santiago, well at least the mountains surrounding Santiago will have snow :p

donk

Cyburbian
That's it.

Looking at SAC's map, I'm moving to Greenland.

It is 50 degres there today.

Tom R

Cyburbian
cold

I remember -34F in Caribou Maine. Things get strange when its that cold. Sound is different probably beause of the dense air. I had a city pickup that had to be dragged into the fire station because the wheels wouldn't turn. The hot plug didn't work and no way would it turn over. Ohio right now is typical - sh***y. Just enough snow to make things miserable but not enough to call off work or Xcountry ski.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It's warmed up just enough for us to get a good dumping of snow...30 odd centimeters expected over the next 24 hours. That's not a huge amount compared to snowbelt areas, but it's enough to make life miserable here. I hope my dentist's office closes so I can skip my appointment...

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Nerudite - Check the local maternity ward's birthing statistics at the end of September. I'm guessing there will be an unusuall level of activity. :)
In a semi-related story..If it weren't for the Blizzard of 78', I would most likely not be here ;-)

boiker

Cyburbian
i remember when....

Tom R said:
I remember -34F in Caribou Maine. Things get strange when its that cold. Sound is different probably beause of the dense air. I had a city pickup that had to be dragged into the fire station because the wheels wouldn't turn. The hot plug didn't work and no way would it turn over. Ohio right now is typical - sh***y. Just enough snow to make things miserable but not enough to call off work or Xcountry ski.
i can recall -28F one brisk night 10 years or so ago.

i love the midwest, all time record high in Peoria, IL 113F (45C) all time record low: -27F (-33C)

it's hard to find a temperature spread like that anywhere.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I literally don't understand how people can live in Xtreme-cold places. I can deal with winter but it almost seems like a waste of time when winter is so bad and so long. It gets masochistic after a while.

Sorry Xtreme-cold people, but southern New England is cold enough for me. I guess I'm not RUGGED enough for Alberta. :)

Queen B

Cyburbian
We have a layer of ice here with a couple of inches of snow on top.
They called school at 5:15 and after the hubby took the call he turned off the alarm and went back to bed. Don't know how he thought I was getting up. We are at 13 F but it is headed down to 7F tonight. BBBBUUURRR

Tom R

Cyburbian
cold

We had a landfill compacting machine in Presque Isle, Maine. The glow plug went out and the machine sat for 2 - 3 days in -20F weather. We had to replace the plug which was mostly barefingers work and practically had to set the thing on fire to get it started. My operator had worked in the woods so he was used to it but it was too cold for me..

JNL

Cyburbian
Wow

Holey moley! The kind of temps being described are incomprehensible to me. It never snows in my city, though you can see snow on nearby mountain ranges in mid-winter. If you get a bit of ice on the car overnight, or there's a frost, that's something to talk about!

I won't gloat about how I'm enjoying summer temperatures over here :-D

I would send a bit of summer weather in your direction if I could nerudite!

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I would send a bit of summer weather in your direction if I could nerudite!
That would be much appreciated! My consolation on the cold is that we had a big snowfall right before and it is very beautiful (looking) outside. It looks like a Currier and Ives winter landscape out there, which is something to behold for a California native. :)

Seabishop said:
Sorry Xtreme-cold people, but southern New England is cold enough for me. I guess I'm not RUGGED enough for Alberta. :)
Don't feel too bad: I grew up in Georgia and I am not RUGGED enough for New England. (Is SF Bay north of the "mason-dixon" line? Am I still, technically "in the South" or not? What are the rules for claiming my Southern heritage after I have Moved West?)

RE: conceptions. In the military, I think the tradition is to concieve another child when hubby gets home from wherever. We always had the conception just before he left. Saving up for "hard times" I guess (or, actually, not so hard times, if you know what I mean). Anyway -- the joke is that we always had kids when we were having sex the least. There is something wrong with that formula, truly.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
It's 19 F with an off and on drizzle of snow or sleet, on top of last night's 5 to 7 inches of snow (I think that's about 12-18 cm for you metric folks up in Canuckland and down in Oz and Chile). Tonight we're supposed to get a 1/4 inch of ice and freezing rain, and a little more snow on through tomorrow. They closed schools, colleges, and libraries here today, and Dorchester County down on the Eastern Shore has already said they're closing schools tomorrow, too. I think one of the reasons they're so quick to close schools around here is that they don't want to risk (more than normal) any school bus accidents, especially in the suburbs and rural areas where most kids are bussed in.

For a more entertaining result of the snow, click here

And y'all are still sath of the Line, MZ. You have to go all the way up past Chico to enter the nawth. There are no rules; you were born in the South, you can claim it til the day you die--and beyond--if you like.

donk

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Holey moley! The kind of temps being described are incomprehensible to me. It never snows in my city, though you can see snow on nearby mountain ranges in mid-winter. If you get a bit of ice on the car overnight, or there's a frost, that's something to talk about!
[/B]
Sounds like you live in LaLaLa Land, capital of the Republic of Birkenstock, AKA Victoria, BC ;)

I remember last year or the year before seeing on the news people actually trying to scrape ice of their windshield with credit cards.

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
Sounds like you live in LaLaLa Land, capital of the Republic of Birkenstock, AKA Victoria, BC ;)

I remember last year or the year before seeing on the news people actually trying to scrape ice of their windshield with credit cards.
The first time I went to Victoria, everything was frozen. All the fountains at the Legislature building looked like inverted icicles. It was probably hovering around -10 that week. The City didn't know what to do with itself.

I plugged in my car last night and it still took 20 minutes to get it started this morning. I ended up getting to work late and now all the plugins have been taken... meaning I get to wander out into -35C (-47 windchill) weather every two hours to start my car. Ugh... I hate this weather. C'mon Spring!!!!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
nerudite said:
...meaning I get to wander out into -35C (-47 windchill) weather every two hours to start my car. Ugh... I hate this weather. C'mon Spring!!!!
I guess public transport is not an option?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I am having a hard time grasping the concept of plugging one's car in so that it can be restarted later. Is this only in Canada?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I guess public transport is not an option?
Work is 25 minutes by car, an hour and a half by transit (plus 7 or 8 blocks to the bus stop with the windchill and waiting at the stop). Not an option in these conditions (at least not to me). I can stand the cold for maybe 10 minutes, and then I have to go back inside. I guess I'm not RUGGED! enough for Canada.

Zoning Goddess said:
I am having a hard time grasping the concept of plugging one's car in so that it can be restarted later. Is this only in Canada?
Nope... they have block heaters in the States too. Mostly in the bitterly cold states... Minnesota, North Dakota, etc.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Nope. New cars sold in Montana, the Dakotas, and Minnesota are required to have engine block heaters.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
nerudite said:
Work is 25 minutes by car, an hour and a half by transit (plus 7 or 8 blocks to the bus stop with the windchill and waiting at the stop). Not an option in these conditions (at least not to me). I can stand the cold for maybe 10 minutes, and then I have to go back inside. I guess I'm not RUGGED! enough for Canada.
I'd be driving my personal vehicle with that kind of service, too. :-0

No, neru, you are RUGGED enough! You are coping and making the best of it -- clearly requisite for RUGGEDness! :-D

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
There's no choice but to become RUGGED when it's minus freeze your nards off outside, but you still have to get to work. At this point, all you can do is hope it gets a little bit colder. That way, you are protected by the simple advice of Environment Canada:

"...Do not go outside."