• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

I'm the coldest I've ever been!

Budgie

Cyburbian
I walked to work this morning with the temperature 4F with a 15 mph wind from the northwest. Some people were asking why I didn't segway to a meeting I had today. The wind would be at 27 mph if I glided. I'm sorry but my survival instincts told me to drive a car to my meeting.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We are having one of those strange FL weather days that strike a couple times each winter. High today of about 76 d., prediction of about 32 d. tonite, and that's considered pretty darn cold here.

Rem

Cyburbian
You poor guys. Our media is carrying stories of how cold it is for you at the moment - saying there were 35 weather related deaths in the last two days. The coldest it gets here is maybe +4C overnight. I don't think a daily minimum would ever be below +10C.

We are in summer of course and most are complaining about the heat. I will take JNL's lead and not skyte.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
For Brown Pelicans (the coastal ones), southern MD is the northern limit for breeding, and they don't really migrate much. White Pelicans (which I think breed out west and up in Canada) spend the winter scattered over the South, from Va on down.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Rem said:
You poor guys. Our media is carrying stories of how cold it is for you at the moment - saying there were 35 weather related deaths in the last two days.

That's because people in the carolina's and other southernly states do not know how to drive when they get a little snow. Here its snowing pretty good at the moment, but people just take it slowwwww.

Attachments

• snowpic1.jpg
    snowpic1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 104

martini

Cyburbian
yeah. Its been well below zero for two days here. High today was -4°F Low tonight is supposed to be -25° to -30°f. chilly! My car didn't start this morning till I got it jumped. Probably won't start tomorrow morning either. This kind of weather weeds out the weak around here.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My first grader brought this science nugget home yesterday:

Water freezes spontaneously at -40F.

Sounds like a goodly portion of Cyburbia's population could try the experiment my son wanted to do: toss a cup of water out and watch it freeze before it hits the ground :-0

Currently 9F here with windchill of -5F. Pretty toasty for some of you, but rather cool for these parts.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
PlannerByDay said:
I really don't mind my job or the cold but that is tempting and better yet I qualify.

Thanks for the lead. I'm Bermudia Bound baby.

Just remember there is a down-side: when a Category 5 hurricane is bearing down on ya!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
-40 F and -40 C are the same temp... the only reason I know this was I seen it on a bank clock once... Living in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula is such an experience. (It did not register as the “Official” temp, but I can tell you that that day most cars did not start.

I don’t have to deal with that now! The coldest that I have seen it so far is –6 F.