Image Attachments 101

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Here's the ultimate guide to all cyburbianites that want to attach gallery images into a post in the Forums.

Step 1: Go to the gallery
Step 2: Click on the desired thumbnail
Step 3: Right click on image
Step 4: Select properties
Step 5: Copy URL of image
Step 6: Put tags on url in post.

Example:
Copied url: [url]http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/513/1192Vi_a_del_Mar-1-med.JPG[/url]

Now with [IMG] tags:
[IMG]http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/513/1192Vi_a_del_Mar-1-med.JPG

Remember to always close your tags with a [/IMG]!

Dan, Please make this thread sticky! :)

I noticed that several of my images were deleted (I assume recently). I guess I must have violated this policy:

"Images must be related to the built environment

The Gallery is intended for to be a showcase of images related to planning and the built environment. Personal images should be uploaded only to the Temporary Images gallery. Personal images outside the termporary image directory will be deleted immediately; otherwise, they will be deleted one week after they are uploaded."

I guess there will be lots of images deleted soon....back 'em up folks.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
I noticed that several of my images were deleted (I assume recently). I guess I must have violated this policy:
Actually, I just deleted a bunch of images that were misplaced in the oft-practiced, time-dishonored Cyburbia tradition I like to call ...

[Game show-style audience shout-out]
"I don't know where else to put it, so I think I'll just place it in Best Practices!"
[/Game show-style audience shout-out]

Dining room tables and abandoned gas stations don't qualify as examples of "best practice" in the minds of most planners. I didn't delete any images in other categories, so yours may have been misdirected Best Practices images.

As far as images that don't relate to the built environment, we tend to look past the rule if they 1) are really kinda' temporary, 2) don't dominate your gallery, and 3) are placed in a sub-gallery you've created.

I'm looking at creating a personal image category; one where the image thumbnails don't display on the gallery preview page. That's been my major peeve with personal images so far; certainly not that they're not photos of trash enclosure screening walls or examples of bad access management, but that a blue-shirt looking for images will visit the Gallery, and see nothing but thumbnails of puppies on the front page. If I can create a category where people can store personal photos, but thumbnails of those images aren't displayed on the Gallery main page, I'd say go nuts.

The Gallery is still broken in some areas after the move. There's still a lot of broken stuff I have to fix. I'm recovering from the flu, so I'm trying to get to it as time permits.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
RJ, I deleted a few of your images (your pizzas) from the temporary images folder as per standard operating procedure - we usually delete images from that folder after a couple of weeks, hence the "temporary" moniker.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
RJ, I deleted a few of your images (your pizzas) from the temporary images folder as per standard operating procedure - we usually delete images from that folder after a couple of weeks, hence the "temporary" moniker.
Ditto. I cleaned out the Temporary Images gallery yesterday, anything older than 2 weeks was axed.

J. Seward Johnson's bronze of a commuter at the Grand Circus Park People Mover station. Nice.

Another run of picture tests

Philly JFK Park.jpg

South Philly McDonalds.JPG

Tilting to Cloud Gate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jordanb

Cyburbian
Are my Google Earth images OK? I just put them there so I could link to them from the forum (I can't upload to my personal webserver from work). I put them in my personal gallery because I didn't know where else.

As a general rule, images that are attached to Forum thread go to the Temporary Images folder, rather than the user's personal gallery. Why? Because it's easier for us mods to track down old Temp images in the corresponding folder rather than checking the members personal galleries..

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
test

This is a test and only a test. If this were an actual image it would already appear.

Maister said:
This is a test and only a test. If this were an actual image it would already appear.

Is anyone else having trouble viewing this?
First its not there
I can view it at its url
go "back" to this page and its here
"refresh" and its gone again:-s

Same with the pic in the Muslim head dress thread

savemattoon said:
Is anyone else having trouble viewing this?
First its not there
I can view it at its url
go "back" to this page and its here
"refresh" and its gone again:-s

Same with the pic in the Muslim head dress thread
Has to be a setting on my work computer. Works fine at home

Last edited by a moderator:
Clueless Chimes In

And maybe we can also link to an explanation of (or explain in this thread) how to do attachments? With a limit of 500 x 500 (pixels, I presume), it sounds to me like a lot of temporary images would work fine as attachments. I confess that I don't know how to do attachments on Cyburbia. :-$ So I am guessing lots of other people don't either.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Michele Zone said:
And maybe we can also link to an explanation of (or explain in this thread) how to do attachments? With a limit of 500 x 500 (pixels, I presume), it sounds to me like a lot of temporary images would work fine as attachments. I confess that I don't know how to do attachments on Cyburbia. :-$ So I am guessing lots of other people don't either.
Moderator note:
Post moved to image attachments 101 thread.

SkeL – If you’re going to start deleting images from my gallery that are not related to “the build environment”, that’s fine. This is not my house and I’ll play by the rules. But I expect equal treatment.

Anybody else receive the PM from SkeL?

RichmondJake said:
SkeL – If you’re going to start deleting images from my gallery that are not related to “the build environment”, that’s fine. This is not my house and I’ll play by the rules. But I expect equal treatment.

I didn't get one.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:

As I explained in the PM I deleted the images from you gallery that I thought belonged in the Temporary Images Category and were from over 2 weeks old. And I also recomended you to upload all your forum attachments to said category instead of your member gallery. Those are the rules.

Forum attachments include:
-Caption contests
-GTCs (which can be saved to their corresponding cities an places category after the GTC has ended and the title has been modified to comply with the rules)
- Normal Image attachments in forum posts that are not related to the built enviroment.

This one goes to all. When uploading images for caption contests, GTCs, or general image attachments not related to the built enviroment, upload the to the TEMPORARY IMAGES category NOT your member gallery, or you can choose to upload them in other sites like imageshack.us or any other hotlink friendly hosts detailed in this post

Oh and RJ, I only sent you a PM because you're the most frequent and reiterative offender of this rule, but I do moderate all other galleries, like the rest of the Moderators.