• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Image hotlinking

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I turned off image hotlinking from remote sites until I can find a way to solve the bandwidth consumption problem. We sucked up 25 gigs this month (yay!), but most of it was probably from image hotlinking (boo!). vBulletin and the Resource Directory aren't bandwidth intensive.

I'm piggybacking another hosting account, so I'll have 35 gigs a month now. Hopefully that, and stopping image hotlinking, will solve the bandwidth crisis.

If I can get a sponsor or grant, I'll be off to a dedicated server. :)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Let me see if I have this right....we can still link to images on other websites, but other websites can't link to an image on cyburbia?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
That's right ... until I can scrape up enough funds to accomodate the increase in bandwidth from hotlinking. The other alternative, and I haven't found a way to do it, is to find a way to allow hotlinking of small images, but not large images.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Is it mostly people linking to images in the Gallery? I assume it must be, since there really isn't a lot to link to in the forums or the resource directory.....I wonder if it's our friends from the scyscraper forums doing the linking.....that have only just recently posted anything here in our forums...

FYI - I tried to log on last night around 8:30 p.m. CST and received a message about Cyburbia exceeding its bandwith.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
Is it mostly people linking to images in the Gallery? I assume it must be, since there really isn't a lot to link to in the forums or the resource directory.
I poked around the logs a bit. I'm going to make a rough guesstimate, 50% to 60% of Cyburbia's bandwidth now. The number of visitors to Cyburbia are increasing steadily, but the bandwidth used is on a steeper upward curb; it's kind of like comparing the rise of medical costs in the US to the overall rate of inflation.