• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Impending Lawsuits

BKM

Cyburbian
Of course, when CDs that cost 50 cents to manufacture (including all recording costs) are sold for $18, who is really the thief here?

Although, I think they are swimming against the tide of history.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have plans to redirect Kazaa away from my folder with over 2000 mp3 files on it. I can't afford the fines they are throwing at file-sharers.

My guess is that cd sales will be down again this year (have there really been any "smash" hits besides 50 Cent this year?) and the RIAA will of course blame it on file sharing. My guess is that the cd buying public is turned off by these heavy handed tactics and is therefore downloading MORE mp3s to spite the RIAA.

Apple's iTunes has proven that if given the oportunity, people are willing to pay up to 99 cents per track. They have had millions of downloads and this is only Mac users, which make up a very small segment of computer users. When the windows version hits later this year, I would guess the sales of legitamate music will skyrocket. Yet the RIAA refuses to embrace the technology.

jordanb

Cyburbian
So filesharing will take another downturn for a few months until people work out how to make it completly anonymous...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo Man said:
I have plans to redirect Kazaa away from my folder with over 2000 mp3 files on it. I can't afford the fines they are throwing at file-sharers.
Did it months ago. Once downloaded I transfer it out of a share file, and no user search will find them

*prays to the god of firewalls*

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Generally, the music worth buying, after downloading and hearing it a few months, I try to buy the original CD. Although some times I can't due to the fact that no store brings the CD (or the group) I want. An example is Porcupine Tree... if you ask for it... they have never heard that group :( So don't blame me because I have mp3s... If it doesn't come, what else can I do?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I find that the usenet groups are the new way to go. Hundreds of thousands of mp3 files, grouped by album sitting there waiting to be downloaded.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
All - thanks for the heads-up. I took Chet's suggestion and moved my music out of my designated shared folder. Won't let the bastards hunt me down! Now, it's time to find those usenet groups Repo mentioned....

*doing my best Mr. Burns impersonation, rolling my fingertips together*

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
All - thanks for the heads-up. I took Chet's suggestion and moved my music out of my designated shared folder. Won't let the bastards hunt me down! Now, it's time to find those usenet groups Repo mentioned....

*doing my best Mr. Burns impersonation, rolling my fingertips together*
Check with your ISP to find out what there news server address is. Then get yourself a news reader program like newsbinpro, search the "groups" and you will find hundreds of groups, sorted by genre, years, bands, etc. filled with glorious mp3 files, usually ripped at 160 or above.

boiker

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I find that the usenet groups are the new way to go. Hundreds of thousands of mp3 files, grouped by album sitting there waiting to be downloaded.
0ld 5k00l!

usenet rocks.. i've been using that for all my file needs since... oh '93 or '94.