• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Imploding Pop Music Phenoms

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Who was your favorite pop music phenom that totally imploded and is no longer on the music scene radar?

Mine?

Spice Girls

Great fun music, but destined for the "Where are they now?" circuit on VH1.

tsc

Cyburbian
The Hooters
Culture Club
and that band that played "Black Coffee In Bed"... Squeeze

donk

Cyburbian
Almost everything late 80's Manchester

Stone Roses
Charlatans UK
EMF
Jesus Jones
Inspiral Carpets

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I totally agree with donk on the Stone Roses Here you have a band that exploded onto the scene in the late 80s/early 90s and released one of the best debut albums ever and a great 2nd album, then broke up. The careers of the the founding members following the have been totally lackluster. Despite being off the radar, the Charlatans are still rockin. I thought their last CD (Wonderland) was up there with Some Friendly and Between 10th and 11th.

The Police - The release Synchronicity, their most heralded album and breakup soon after leaving their fans begging for more. Yeah, Sting is probably bigger now than he was with the Police, but I am not a fan of his crappy smooth jazz style music.

Another one was Brutal Juice (although not super popular). They were a metal band that was totally ahead of their time but broke up after their first CD.

H

Cyburbian
This may sound very “no se que” but I liked Ace of Base. But in fairness there is excellent hilarious good times memory of an incredible college road trip to Mardi Gras attached to the song “all she wants is another baby”, so it is more than the “musical talent”. Every time I hear the song I laugh and want to ‘break it down’! :-D

Plus they are Swedish, and who doesn’t like Swedish girls?

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
How 'bout Milli Vanelli?

LOL, how about the guys who were really singing? ;)

I miss hearing "I wanna be a cowboy.....and you can be my cowgirl" but cannot recall who sings it.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
LOL, how about the guys who were really singing? ;)

I miss hearing "I wanna be a cowboy.....and you can be my cowgirl" but cannot recall who sings it.

Boys Don't Cry

Don't ask how I remember this.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I never cared for him, but what happened to Jamiroquai?

- Prince?
- Michael Jackson?
- Bobby McFerrin?
- Tracy Chapman?
- Suzanne Vega?
- Vanilla Ice?;)

SlaveToTheGrind said:
I never cared for him, but what happened to Jamiroquai?

I think Jamiroquai is still big in Europe. You know most European artists are only allowed one or two big hits in the states before they are sent back overseas.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Lisa Stansfield?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Not that I liked them (I'm actually happy about their dissappearance)... But what happened to Hanson? or Limp Bizkit? or Beastie Boys?
I second the Ace of Base comment.. (Ok I was just a kid back then... so my musical tastes were mass driven)

MJ went from pop king to boogey man.. I actually hope the guy goes down... but I'm concerned about the safetly issues about letting 'it' on the electric chair... you know... all that plastic burning can release some deadly fumes!

steveanne

Oh jeez.

Snow - Informer
Bell Biv Devoe - Poison
Tom Cochrane - Life is a Highway
Gerardo - Rico Suave
Digable Planets - Rebirth of Slick (Cool like dat)
C + C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat
King Missle - Detachable **nis
B.A.D. II - The Globe

Bands more recently (in the last 10 years):

Sponge
Letters to Cleo
Guilty of the Stone Roses as well
Son Volt
Elastica
Mighty Mighty Bosstones

And my favorite guilty pleasure... The Bloodhound Gang.

donk

Cyburbian
Snow and Tom Cochrane have relatively successful Canadian music careers. (I know it is an oxymoron)

Snow did a video with bubbles, from the trailer park boys, last year.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Not that I liked them (I'm actually happy about their dissappearance)... But what happened to Hanson? or Limp Bizkit? or Beastie Boys?
I second the Ace of Base comment.. (Ok I was just a kid back then... so my musical tastes were mass driven)

MJ went from pop king to boogey man.. I actually hope the guy goes down... but I'm concerned about the safetly issues about letting 'it' on the electric chair... you know... all that plastic burning can release some deadly fumes!

funny you should mention that...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/995113.asp

biscuit

Cyburbian
steveanne said:
Oh jeez.
Bands more recently (in the last 10 years):

Sponge
Letters to Cleo
Guilty of the Stone Roses as well
Son Volt
Elastica
Mighty Mighty Bosstones

And my favorite guilty pleasure... The Bloodhound Gang.

Wasn't Letters to Cleo in the movie Ten Things I Hate About You.
Son Volt broke up
I think Elastica went for the classic rock-and-roll demise and all ended up with heroin addictions.
The Bosstones are just too old to skank anymore ;)

And the Bloodhound Gang always puts me in good mood. Treir song Mope, which is about Pac-man smoking crack, is awesome.

What about Nana Cherry

You Spin Me Right Round Baby, Right Round...

When I think of the 80s, I think of Pop implosions:

Dead or Alive - Spin me right round
Flock of Seagulls - I ran
Visage - Fade to grey

Of course the 90s had Billy Ray Cyrus and that "Im too sexy.." song by a bunch of pommy skinheads.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Timbuk 3. They had that one hit song "My Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades" then disappeared. I bought their album (was it their only one?) and I still listen to it sometimes. Quirky, though they were, they were good songwriters.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Terrance Trent D'Arby
Bel Biv Devoe
Human League
Michelle Shocked
Bo Deans
Robbie Williams (this applies to USA only)
Toto
Asia
Hall & Oates
Katrina and the Waves

I could go on forever in this thread.... :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Terrance Trent D'Arby
Bel Biv Devoe
Human League
Michelle Shocked
Bo Deans
Robbie Williams (this applies to USA only)
Toto
Asia
Hall & Oates
Katrina and the Waves

I could go on forever in this thread.... :)

You like Michelle Shocked?!?! I think I love you. I haven't seen anything from her since her albulm with "On the Greener Side".

What ever happenned to Michele D'Negdecello (I know I probably messed her name up!)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Habanero said:
What ever happenned to Michele D'Negdecello (I know I probably messed her name up!)

Close enough. I actually just herd something new(er than that) by her on radio@netscape.com but I couldnt tell you the title. It was a collaboration with ... drawing a blank..... maybe Peter Gabriel?

EDIT: As for Michelle Shocked, I was a big fan of her Texas Campfire Songs CD when I was in college (15 years ago UGG)

otterpop

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
You like Michelle Shocked?!?! I think I love you. I haven't seen anything from her since her albulm with "On the Greener Side".

I too love Michelle Shocked's music. But I haven't listen her or the Indigo Girls much since I stopped dating granola girls.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
donk said:
Almost everything late 80's Manchester

Stone Roses
EMF
Jesus Jones
Inspiral Carpets

I totally agree. Especially the Stone Roses part.

Men at Work, I really miss them. The lead singer did a cameo on Scrubs last year.

Hothouse Flowers

donk

Cyburbian
On another board i read this band just came up

The Forgotten Rebels. The album was surfing on heoin. Not really pop, but a great prelude/forshadowing of todays punk/pop genre.

The only bad thing is that their lyrics are definitely not ready for prime time (all about hard core drug use, strippers, racism and other items that even make a borderline degenerate like me squirm)