• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Transportation 🚌 Improving LRT station design

JayKaplan

We have been contracted to assess about 100 LRT station designs in the Tel Aviv Metropolitan area and recommend improvements to passenger access level of service and connectivity to bus, bike, walk, kiss-n-ride, heavy rail, etc. I would appreciate info on similar studies and on state-of-the-art designs for compact station layouts, placemaking and shade in hot climates. Thank you in advance for your effort! -- Jay Kaplan.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We have been contracted to assess about 100 LRT station designs in the Tel Aviv Metropolitan area and recommend improvements to passenger access level of service and connectivity to bus, bike, walk, kiss-n-ride, heavy rail, etc.
Welcome to Cyburbia! :israel:

Tel Aviv LRT rolling stock / trains: will they be platform loading (like heavy rail / metro), or have low floors (like newer streetcars / trams)? This would make a difference, especially for systems that use both platform and ground loading (like many American LRT systems). What's the length of one of the LRVs? How many cars will make up the longest trains/consists in passenger service? Will trains run in separate right-of-way, streets, or both?

(Because you're a new user, if you post a link/URL, the message won't appear right away. One of the moderators here will approve the post after they see it's not spam.)

DVD

Cyburbian
I have no studies, but you can contact Valley Metro to talk about who does light rail in the Phoenix metro area. I believe we have a similar shade problem. The biggest problem I see is the transition from LRT to local bus. You end up having to cross intersections and we get some jay walking or missing the bus. The connection from light rail to airport rail is decent. I'm sure it could be better. We also have a problem with people not wanting to walk over to the intersection to cross the street so they run across a busy street. I can't say Phoenix is a bike friendly kind of place. Tempe, AZ next door might have a decent example around the transit center. Sorry, I don't have a contact at Valley Metro, but here is the website to start with: https://www.valleymetro.org/