• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Improving Qualifications

jdstl1977

Cyburbian
Hey, people currently working in economic development,

I'm researching international development jobs to help inform my grad school selection.

Can you guys tell me what you think graduate students should focus on in school to improve their qualifications to work in international development?

Thanks gals/guys.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Language! Know more than one.

Also know US foreign policy, international business, customs of the country you would focus on, and trade policies.

jdstl1977

Cyburbian
That sounds like a lot of stuff out of the scope of a two year planning program, am I right? Or do you think someone can cover these things through electives alone?

Cardinal said:
Language! Know more than one.

Also know US foreign policy, international business, customs of the country you would focus on, and trade policies.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
jdstl1977 said:
That sounds like a lot of stuff out of the scope of a two year planning program, am I right? Or do you think someone can cover these things through electives alone?
No, you can't get it all in two years. More likely, it will take 5-10. Not to sound discouraging, but have you looked into job prospects? Outside of the Peace Corps and federal government, there may not be too many options for you in international economic development.

jdstl1977

Cyburbian
Well, I've been researching private firms and I've contacted economic research associates about what they look for when they hire people in economic planning and policy. I have yet to hear from them. I sent them e-mails before the weekend.

I've been looking at what the schools offer and looking at what private firms expect on the other end to help inform my grad program selection. Also, of course, asking on here, included.

Cardinal said:
No, you can't get it all in two years. More likely, it will take 5-10. Not to sound discouraging, but have you looked into job prospects? Outside of the Peace Corps and federal government, there may not be too many options for you in international economic development.

SGB

Cyburbian
jdstl1977 said:
I'm researching international development jobs to help inform my grad school selection.
Are you interested in overseas work, or in our adjacent countries?

The One

Cyburbian
India

Check out India, I hear they have a shortage of people.......... :-b

On a serious note, Ireland would be great

jdstl1977

Cyburbian
So, it sounds like it might be better for me to work on an emphasis on economic development first and pick these things up along the way? I read in other posts you work in what I'd like to do. Economic redevelopment, land reuse planning. Could you suggest any good programs?

Cardinal said:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Look into the National Development Council (NDC) courses in economic development finance, and ULI's real estate development offerings. Harvard has a short (3 week, I think) course in development, if you have the time and $$$$$$$$.