• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Inclusionary zoning references

SCM

I am writing some inclusionary zoning recommendations and was wondering if anybody has any up to date reference materials to recommend. I have a copy of the PAS Report on Affordable Housing which has some great examples but is a little out of date (1991)! Any suggestions?

BKM

Cyburbian
Sophie M said:
I am writing some inclusionary zoning recommendations and was wondering if anybody has any up to date reference materials to recommend. I have a copy of the PAS Report on Affordable Housing which has some great examples but is a little out of date (1991)! Any suggestions?
You might try the Non-profit Association of Northern California, which has just published a (positive) review of California inclusionary housing examples.

Try the Reason Public Policy Institute, which has just published online "Housing Supply and Affordability: Do Affordable Housing Mandates Work?" I have some big problems with this study, but it certainly provides a different (negative) view.

The One

Cyburbian
Try Aspen Colorado

Aspen/Pitkin County Housing Authority Program.....interesting read.....

nerudite

Cyburbian
Davis, CA has one of the best housing programs I've seen. They have a specific housing section to their Municipal Code, which includes inclusionary zoning requirements, growth management via housing unit allocation, etc. The Land Use Planning Information Network (LUPIN) in California has a comprehensive list of all of the CA municipalities that have inclusionary zoning requirements... then you can do a search for the ones that are most similar to your circumstances.

SCM

Inclusionary Housing in Large Cities

What about inclusionary housing programs in large cities? Have they been successful? Any opinions on whether they should be mandatory or voluntary?