• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Zoning: general Inclusionary zoning

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have an inclusionary zoning requirement language that's been working for them?

or is this a cricket-chirping thread...

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
None that's working, no. We have some really badly written density bonus language, but that's all. 3 extra units/acre if you do a BUNCH of insane things, including guarantee that the tenants of a certain number of your units are in the <85% of the median income category, and preserve it that way for 50 years. In our hot market, hard to get anybody to do it, much less commit to reporting to us annually for the next 50 years (not to mention I have no idea how or when that reporting is supposed to work). Utah's legislature has mandated a "fair-share" kind of approach to affordable housing where all the municipalities prepare reports every year on peril of losing their State transportation funds (that always makes me laugh) but lots of the cities thumb their noses. I'm on the hunt for anything to support affordable housing in my city. If I find anything that seems to be working I'll post it here LP. Sorry.

jrivermartin

I'm an eco-design guy with barely more than a rudimentary comprehension of "planning" (zoning, etc.).

• Inclusionary zoning (IZ), also known as inclusionary housing, is an American term which refers to municipal and county planning ordinances that require a given share of new construction to be affordable by people with low to moderate incomes.

That said, I'm convinced that Jason Bradford of Post Carbon Institute is correct when he posits that the demographic trend toward urbanization will reverse toward re-ruralization in the near future.: https://www.postcarbon.org/publications/the-future-is-rural/

The trend reversal will likely be, at least partly, as a result of a partial (or worse) collapse of the global financial system, which will be at least partly a result of the current climate emergency we're not supposed to be talking about. (Shhhh!) ... which will be at least partly due to mass migrations called "climate refugees" and a global food crisis (shhhh!). But basics like food, shelter, water, etc., will be our primary concerns in the near future -- and "real estate as an investment" will be a quaint relic of a bygone era. (Shhhh!)

Inclusionary zoning thus makes a LOT more sense in a rural setting than an urban one in todays short-lived (shh!) economic conditions. Rural places which are now cheap as dirt will soon be more valuable than … well, dirt -- or dirt without the infrastructure of livable communities. Shhh! Don't tell anyone. We don't want to see tiny town America become gentrified! But it will be, now, won't it? Those boarded up small towns and villages will become "The Next Big Thing". LOL. Gawed help us.

Google "community land trust" while you still can.

Top Bottom