• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Incubator

Tom R

Cyburbian
Does anyone know of a definition of "Industrial Incubator" suitable for or from a zoning code?

donk

Cyburbian
Are you thinking of a giant incubator for eggs or an incubator for small business just starting out?

SGB

Cyburbian
Here's a start:

"Start-up firms directly resulting from research and development activities of an existing industry or accessory industry. Industrial firma may include commercial incubator type uses as well as manufacturing facilities and capabilities."
(From the City of Hillsboro, OR Comprehensive Plan)

donk

Cyburbian
I guess teh question I have is why should new companies / industries be treated differently with respect to standards then existing ones?

We have a incubator here and we treat them as standard office space.

I can see the need to explain what they are in the OP document and why you want them, but don't see the need to specifically define in the zoning section.

Unless I am missing something due to jurisdictions.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We also don't specifically address it in our ordinance. It should be regulated by the use of each "incubating" business. That way you don't have a fat rendering startup located in the same building as a basket-weaving startup.

Treat them as you would a multi-tenant buildings...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:
Treat them as you would a multi-tenant buildings...
Exactly - the "use" isn't "incubator". Each tenant's operations determine thier use classifications. The last community I worked for had 2 incubators. We didnt define or regulate them separately and never saw a need to. Of course, that community would allow fat rendering next to basket weaving, and give them incentives to do it....