• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Indigeous Peoples Day

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Paid holiday for me tomorrow. Who else is off with pay? And is this a ridiculous holiday or what?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I don't get tomorrow off.
The powers to be have traded it off so we get one of theses days off - I just forget which -
The Friday after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve Day
New Year's Eve Day

SGB

Cyburbian
I get tomorrow off. My wife has to work though.
My son calls these the "guy days."

:p

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Chet said:
In the Northeast, Columbus Day means no school and sometimes no work (every other year as a floating holiday for lots of companies) . It's supposed to be nice tomorrow and I kinda wish I had no work/school. C'est la vie.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I didn't even realize it was Columbus Day today until this morning. First I tried to call someone over at the County offices and didn't get an answer. I then tried calling several other people over there but still got no answer. Where are all these lazy county workers today? Finally I walked over to my bank and found them closed with a sign on the door explaining why. Man, I can be really blonde sometimes.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Columbus Day = A great excuse to close most govt offices and have a sale on something.

BKM

Cyburbian
Another "contract traded it for another day" here. That's ok, friday is my "flex Friday" anyway (I work a standard 9-80 schedule. A wonderful benefit)

BKM

Cyburbian
In certain "progessive" cities, it is considered "incorrect" to celebrate the start of European colonialism (Columbus). So, these "progressive" cities have renamed the event "Indigenous People's Day" and a grand festival of White Liberal Guilt is had by all. (Not that I don't acknowledge the tragic dimensions of the massive movement of Old World peoples to the so-called New World, but ...these events are just so "academic-left.")

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Columbus day... sunday... mapuche protests, nothing out of the ordinary... plus who doesn't have sundays off?

also the Esmeralda (navy's school ship) got back to Valparaiso yesterday, where a bunch of human rights people were protesting because they say that they used that ship as a prison and torture center after the 9-11-73... there were also protests worldwide on ports where they were going to dock but didn't because of this...