• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ineffective business marketing 101

SGB

Cyburbian
From an actual marketing letter we received recently from a private ED consultant:

"After..... representing communities in all fascists of economic development for more than 25 years...."

Ummmm..... spell check still does not beat good ol' fashioned proof reading.

I wonder how long it'll take this consultant to figure out why the response rate on this marketing campaign is so low.....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
"What's wrong with the letter now?"

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
OMG, that's hilarious!!! I'll have to share that with my colleagues.

Hope it wasn't us. ;) (kidding)

SGB said:

"After..... representing communities in all fascists of economic development for more than 25 years...."

Ummmm..... spell check still does not beat good ol' fashioned proof reading.

Yes -- if the proofreader understands the material and actually knows how to spell. Sometimes, something goofy WAS proofread. How much you want to bet that the person who wrote it can't spell, put some sounded-out garbage in there for "facets" (like "fascits") and the spell check "Fixed" it by turning it into "Fascists". Since they can't spell and they probably knew it was being spelled wrong, they accepted the suggestion made by the spell check.

I may have told this one before: someone set up a booth outside Berkeley to get signatures for a (bogus) petition to "End Women's Suffrage". He got something like 5000 signatures, mostly from female college students from Berkeley. God knows NO woman wants to SUFFER. Who wouldn't be *For* ending their "suffrage"? (and please tell me I don't have to explain that "suffrage" means "the right to vote," which women fought so hard for in this country).

And, please, god, tell me I spelled "suffrage" right. It would be truly embarrassing if it is actually "sufferage" or something like that -- it isn't a word in my Spellcheck. :)