• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Interesting Franchise Designs

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We are all critical of franchise designs. Every once in a while, though, something unusual slips in. Maybe it is exceptionally attractive, or maybe it is really unique. I suggest that we start a thread to post images of these one-of-a-kind divergences from franchise mediocrity and monotony.

Here is my first contribution. This is a Phillips 66 gas station and convenience store at the junction of State Highways 24 and 95 in Hanksville, Utah. It is exceptional for its use of, um,... masonry construction.

jordanb

Cyburbian
"Kitsch"

At any rate. I don't like Starbucks, but they have a wonderful franchising plan: get an original building that perfectly fits the vernacular and stick a store in it. If more chains did that we'd have much better looking cities.

nerudite

Cyburbian
This McDonald's has the worlds first drive-thru designed for scooters... does that count? It's in Crete.