• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Interesting User Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although my number of postings may not indicate it, I've been a member of Cyburbia for quite a while - long before last year's complete overhaul and when the site was still linked to the University of Buffalo's website. When I first registered, I chose the name "Planderella" because what girl hasn't ever thought of herself as a princess mistreated by evil stepsisters (at that time it was professors and employers, now just the latter :) ) and also to protect my identity as I used to rant and rave quite a bit in the early days (hee hee).

So, my point in bringing this up is that I'm curious about everyone else's screen names - their origins, meanings (if any), etc.:?

el Guapo

Capitalist
EG

El Guapo was a character in the movie The Three Amigos. He was a stereotypical Mexican-bandit played with a wry sense of humor. He is the kind of guy I’d like to be, on occasion, if we modern men could get away with things like skipping foreplay, shooting our pistolas in the air and raiding villages. But, alas I’m a planner and instead of drinking tequila and shooting up the town I have to work on upgrading its infrastructure and writing its comp plan. Damn the luck.

I think most people here and at work know who I really am and are not supprised I write outrageous things on the net. They are minor compared to what I say daily.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
And there are those of us who use our everyday handles. Why? Lack of imagination? Dan? Lee? any comments?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Pete's always been a nickname for me; pete-rock is the name of one-half of a hip-hop group from the late '80s/early '90s, Pete-Rock and CL Smooth.

Sorry, no planning reference. Just a desperate attempt to be hip.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
The first four letters of my last name plus the year I was born....not very creative.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
I chose the username 'journeymouse' during my last year at Keele Uni. I'd been through several before. Someone else suggested it because it implies that I know some stuff (i.e. better than an apprentice) but not enough to be an expert (i.e. not ready to be the master), and because the mouse bit sums up my character. Not the most flattering thing I ever heard, but (relatively) true. I do have a tendency to 'roar' occasionally and my nerves tend to show as talkativeness rather than sitting in a wheat field shivering!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hum mine-Im a planner and a girl

the name came about becouse a friend of mine is a fiction writer, at the time for WOTC, anyway he had this idea about a story about a gov employee bent on saving the world. And I have a thing for lions-and i name them all Alphie.

So to him I became "Intrepid Planner Girl and her side kick Alphie"

It was a running joke for a number of years

viola the name stuck!

D

adaptor

Not very imaginative, but the rustbelt is where I was born, educated and still live. I guess I identify with urban industrial cities that have seen better (though sootier) days. When I discovered this forum it seemed to me my place on the planet gave a different viewpoint than planners in smaller towns or in other parts of the county. I no longer think that's so but the handle is still OK.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
When I was young and foolish (16) a bunch of friends and I were getting stoned, and we started wondering why the Dinosaurs always had an "saurus" behind their name, but humans don't (remember, we were silly stoned teenagers). So we started calling eachother by our first name - followed by saurus.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Despite what you might think, mine is not from The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show, at least not directly. I once had a german shorthaired pointer named Bullwinkle. I used Bullwinkle or some variation of Bullwinkle as my username or password for a lot of things. He is now long gone, but I still use that name here.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Like Planderella, I like to rant on the boards, but unlike Planderella, I don't have the fear of non-anonimity (is that a word) so it's a name reduction.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Dog Breed...

I used to raise them. Great and loyal animals, they.

So I've used "mastiff" as an internet nick for years and years, but don't go looking TOO hard for it anywhere else... <EG>

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Much like Tranplanner...

NH = where I live

Planner = what I do

I've used it as a handle on the net for several years now.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Well, I just use "Dan" here because it's something of a tradition for webmasters to use their real names on their sites. What ... like I'm going to go by "LoRd oF DArKnEsS" or "Paladin Lexthar of Urgalon?" I can express my individuality through avatars and goofy posts. :)

On other urbanism-related boards, I go by "Cyburbia." It also sounds "urbany," if that's a word, and it identifies me with this site.

On non-planning realted sites, I use "Elmwood," for Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo, New York. The four mile long Elmwood Strip, containing a bohemian mix of bars, restaurants, shops, bookstores, apartments, mansions and coffeehouses, is a street that cities considered much more vibrant would envy.

A few times in other places, I've gone by "Keybounce." The word is a nearly forgotten term used to describe how ancient computer keyboards would act as if a key were pressed two or three times, even though it was pressed only once. Anyone who has used an old TRS-80 keyboard has experienced keybounce.

JNL

Cyburbian
JNL = my initials - lack of imagination at the time, and has anonymity. Plus "Jen" is already being used. Used to use Gargamel (from the smurfs) - was interesting how people assumed I was male and were surprised that I was actually young and female, not a grumpy old smurf-eating male!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Other monikers I have used elsewhere in the ether:
edlin from them olden DOS days.
golden47 after my old army unit then I started receiving all kinds of adult fetish-related email.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
The name comes from my dual undergrad majors:

Geog=Geography/GIS
Planner=Under Water Basket Weaving

Virtue City

Cyburbian
'Virtue City' is the name of a long term project that I've been working on. After contemplating names for it, I chose 'Virtue City'. This came about mainly because of my interest in ethics. The sound of it is also very nice...it seems prosperous.

My preferred internet moniker is "UrbanGurl." I also use "UrbanRENEWALGurl" on occasion. I like the name because it sounds like some kind of superhero. :) Don't know why I didn't initially use it here. Oh well......

I'm not concerned about protecting my identity any more since most people know I use these boards, and besides, I'm a lot more blunt in person. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mine is totally not planning oriented, but it's the same one I use for just about everything else on the net. Nerudite stems from Neruda... since I love his poetry so much, I just kind of adopted it. It actually started when I signed up for a yahoo account several years ago, and all the "regular" names were taken and I hate having little numbers beside my name. Kind of dorky, I know... but it stuck! Otherwise, I usually go by skalar, because I love ska music...

Jeff

Cyburbian
Disco Stu was already taken so I decided to use the name of a guy I really admire...

Nerudite, you love ska? That's rad, so do I. Victoria (where I live) is host to the worlds largest ska festival, which in fact is tonight, but alas I must work.:( The Pietasters are headlining.

As for my screen name, well I have a good friend on another forum who goes by the moniker CityGod5. Once he came to this forum he changed his name to Jack in the Box. I was tired of using my boring old screename from World Skyscraper Forums, so I decided to take CityGod's name and make it my own, with a femine touch of course. Thus was born to the world "City Goddess". This name suits me well because I am an urbanite, I love the city to the core. And above that I am a goddess.:)

prudence

Cyburbian
Prudence....obviously from Dear Prudence by the The Beatles. The lyrics describe a a person who is oblivious, morover ignoring, the world around them. I play the guitar and have been fascinated by music especially the Beatles for years.

Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play
Dear Prudence, greet the brand new day
The sun is up, the sky is blue
It's beautiful and so are you
Dear Prudence won't you come out and play

Dear Prudence open up your eyes
Dear Prudence see the sunny skies
The wind is low the birds will sing
that you are part of everything
Dear Prudence won't you open up your eyes?

Look around round
Look around round round
Look around

Dear Prudence let me see you smile
Dear Prudence like a little child
The clouds will be a daisy chain
So let me see you smile again
Dear Prudence won't you let me see you smile?

nerudite

Cyburbian
CityGoddess... I love Victoria (beautiful city!) I'm hoping to make it out there sometime soon. I used to live on Whidbey Island in WA, and I would go out to Victoria every month or two. I could pick up the ska program on one of your local programs when I lived there... I think it was on during Saturday afternoons. It's been awhile though, so I don't quite remember. But it was a good radio show (most likely college/public radio).

Too bad you missed the skafest... If I had the money I would have gone out to see the Pietasters alone. They are my favorite ska band (along with Isaac Green, Hepcat, and a few others).

Nice to meet a fellow ska lover!... it seems there are fewer and fewer of us around.

nerudite said:

Too bad you missed the skafest... If I had the money I would have gone out to see the Pietasters alone. They are my favorite ska band (along with Isaac Green, Hepcat, and a few others).

Nice to meet a fellow ska lover!... it seems there are fewer and fewer of us around.
I used to like Fishbone (although I don't know if they were technically a ska band). :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I think early Fishbone would qualify (Party at Ground Zero as an example)... after that they became more alt rock. But hey... I'm impressed that you know Fishbone... you rule!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hey who doesn't know "Bonin' in the boneyard".....

Well... pretty much everyone in Alberta! It's pretty much a wasteland music wise. Uh... unless you like country or classic rock. Oh yeah... Nickelback is from here.
yippe.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Fishbone is playing a small club here in Milwaukee next Saturday. Oughtta be a riot!

boiker

Cyburbian
City Goddess said:
Nerudite, you love ska? That's rad, so do I. Victoria (where I live) is host to the worlds largest ska festival, which in fact is tonight, but alas I must work.:( The Pietasters are headlining.

As for my screen name, well I have a good friend on another forum who goes by the moniker CityGod5. Once he came to this forum he changed his name to Jack in the Box. I was tired of using my boring old screename from World Skyscraper Forums, so I decided to take CityGod's name and make it my own, with a femine touch of course. Thus was born to the world "City Goddess". This name suits me well because I am an urbanite, I love the city to the core. And above that I am a goddess.:)
i used to listen to a little ska,

like hot stove jimmy, mustard plug, skankin pickle.

somehow, i've grown away from it

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Nickname For A King

I enjoy being referred to by any positive nickname with "The King" in it. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Big Easy King

moose

I saw Skankin' Pickle twice in college.... I know it's mainstream and probably formulaic, but I sure like the mighty mighty bosstones, too. And Unsteady rocks.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Chet said:
Like Planderella, I like to rant on the boards, but unlike Planderella, I don't have the fear of non-anonimity (is that a word) so it's a name reduction.
Since this thread has been revived, my original post is no longer accurate. Chet became a knickname after I got my new spectacles. Everyone said I looked like the kid from "My Threee Sons", so it stuck. Problem is, the character's name was Chip. Oh well.

moose

back on topic

I'm "moose" because my husband is "goose", as in "silly goose" (how disgustingly sweet is that!). So now I am moose on cyburbia, and I get more moose-related stuff as gifts than any one person should.

actually, I've never even seen a moose.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Like Chet, my nickname comes in part from glasses frames. Had some 50's style tortoise cateyes, boyfriend said I looked like a Babs with them, and it stuck. The planner part comes from my highway map and coffee-cup collecting habit.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
All I can say as the explanation for my user name is that is has something to do with PlannerGirl, a riding crop, a beach ball, and taco bell 7 layer burrito.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Otterpop is a second-rate popsicle. I chose it because I am a pop ( we have 2 year old son) and I have an affinity to otters in general. Otters are playful, intelligent, handsome, and love water (just like me). And you should see me float on my back and crack open abalone with a rock.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I changed mine to Repo Man because my previous name was not anonymous. Repo Man is my favorite B-Movie, so that is where it came from.

On the Ska...I used to really enjoy it, but then it all started to sound the same. I liked The Specials, The Selector, The Pacers (Milwaukee ska), etc. I also liked the ska punk bands like Less Than Jake, early Bosstones, Against All Authority.

I kind of liked when these bands would come up with clever names using "ska" such as "Ska'd for Life," "Ska Trek" and "Skaba The Hut"

In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than Operation Ivy, even though they were more ska-punk.

donk

Cyburbian
donk, comes from the fact that my parents have a donkey and my friends call me donkeyboy. The other option was stinkboy, but I like donk better.

On the ska note don't forget about king apparatus (non stop drinking) and for the clever name the skatellites.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
Mine originates from the secret wrestling hold I used to win all those matches when I was performing in the WWF.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
lacking originally - it's either initials or inverse of where i had lived or some combination of both

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I chose my moniker because it is linked to planning in a twisted way. I love to look at a situation from odd angles. I love my block, neighborhood, city, state, and nation but the way things should be, never seem to turn out that way. I am more hardcore and rant on the board more than in person because I am venting frustration. I keep plugging at it though :)

Duke = I always wanted to be royalty :)

Of = Got to be in charge of something :)

Dystopia = As a planner, I believe I can create a UTOPIA, but what I want is not what everyone else wants. That leads to not utopia :)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
&quot;Mud Princess&quot;

My user name comes from the name that a group of friends and I gave ourselves after hiking in the woods in the rain. Despite the weather, we had a blast!

Queen B

Cyburbian
Queen of Babble On
Queen of Barcelona
Perhaps it says something about my preferences.
Or is it that I have a Queenly attitutude?
Could it be Drag Queen, nope! (No offense drag queen's)
Or is it as some truely believe Queen Bitch.
It does give one many ideas to ponder.
My daughter is the Princess of Belchelvainia,
So I guess that would make me the Queen.
Just thought of that one!!!
Or it could be derived from my name.
You will all just have to wonder and take your best guess.

I changed mine to Downtown. My maiden name is Brown. In college, many a wild drunken exploit was committed by my evil alter ego Downtown Brown. I wish i could say the nickname stems from my interest in planning and downtown issues. but sadly, it has more to do with keg stands and case races. :)

H

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
I changed mine to Downtown. My maiden name is Brown. In college, many a wild drunken exploit was committed by my evil alter ego Downtown Brown. I wish i could say the nickname stems from my interest in planning and downtown issues. but sadly, it has more to do with keg stands and case races. :)
I just gained an entire new level of respect for you ;)

Maybe I should change my cyburbia name, but I never really had a nickname. Well, Hugh, but that is boring. Oh, yea, the Phi Mu’s called me meat ;) but that isn’t really planning related :)

steveanne

Well..

Like Mr. Stumpf,
Mine is my first and last name (please don't laugh at my last name - and please don't call me Raggedy Anne either).

The nutty, crazy part is that I've put them together!!!! Without spaces!!!!
(oooooooooooh! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!)

Status
Not open for further replies.