• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Hi there! 👋 Interesting User Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Re: Well..

steveanne said:
Mine is my first and last name (please don't laugh at my last name - and please don't call me Raggedy Anne either).

And here you had the chance to go with something different and completely get away from the handle you carry around every day and evidently have been teased about your whole life.

I say be brave, jump into that alter ego, change that handle. You can do it!!!!!!

pandersen

Cyburbian
Moniker

"pandersen"

stands for 1st inital of my first name, followed by my last name.

I'm a lot happier than I used to be as is apparent from my old moniker "Planner in Purgatory". I used to rant a lot more often. Being more content in my current assignment, I lurk more than I rant.

My avitar onthe other hand is the image of a fictional character in a series of one man stage plays one of which is called called "Letters from Wingfield Farm" - all about the misadventures (some land use planning related) of an ex- Toronto stockbroker turned hobby farmer residing around Barrie, Ontario.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Re: Moniker

pandersen said:
"pandersen"

stands for 1st inital of my first name, followed by my last name.

awww, so you're not this panderson:

pamela-anderson-auto.jpg

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Mine's not too original, either. I made it up when I joined a board for sports fans of the Big Ten's premier university, the University of Iowa. Lots of folks on that board preface "hawk" with the town or state in which they reside (our team name, for those of you who graduated from Ohio State or the U. of Illinois, is the "Hawkeyes"). When I joined this board, it made sense to keep using the same handle.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
My nickname drags on since quite a while... since more or less 1997, and the reason behind the nickname isn't because I like He-Man (to the contrary of popular belief), the reason is because I was (and still am) very thin....

Can't think of a better one, although I have a bunch of secondary nicknames that haven't lasted long...

I used to use my first and last name on the internet. I was a highly visible moderator in another forum and met some of these folks in real life, etc. Then I disappeared for 2 years of medical hell.

When I was well enough to start hanging on the Internet again, I had quit going by my first name because I was out in the world more than I had been and no one can spell it or pronounce it. So I began going by my middle name, since everyone can pronounce it although most folks still overlook the variant spelling (one L instead of 2 -- it took my husband only 8 years of marriage to remember that, lol). However, I did decide to not hassle folks about the spelling, unless it is a legal document.

Anyway, fast forward: a friend of mine offered to set me up with a website and we were goofing off, trying to come up with a name. Initially, we considered 'Michele's Corner'. Eventually, it became "Michele's World", in part as a 'literary reference' (so to speak -- a movie actually) in that "Wayne's World" is broadcast from a basement in Canada and so is my website.

So, I wanted to respond to something in this forum and I needed a screen name in a hurry. I ruled out "Michele's World" because it seemed, I don't know, silly and egomaniacal. I had recently been misunderstood in another forum where folks sometimes forget I am a jokester who engages in hyperbole, parody, exageration, and the like on a regular basis. I was considering changing my tagline there to "You have just entered The Michele Zone -- something like The Twilight Zone on Laughing Gas" and decided to steal it for this forum instead cuz Zone sounded sort of planning related and I hoped to avoid some of the misunderstandings here that I have had there. But it doesn't seem to have been completely successful.

I probably should have gone with Michele's World and given the jokester background to that. Perhaps folks would Get my bizarre sense of humor better. :)

simulcra

Solipsa - a derivitavie of "solipsism."

solipsism is the philosophy (metaphysics, if you will) that i am the only being that exists.

the argument comes from the point (perhaps) of Descarte's assertion of "Cogito ergo sum," namely "I think, therefore I am." It is also probably based on the premise of many other philosophies that nothing outside of oneself is verifiable. in fact, everything can be reduced to sensory information, which is nothing more than an electronic/simulated image mapped onto our brain, requiring nothing more than a massive hallucination to create a reality. thus, it becomes unnecessary for other beings to actually exist. after all, what does it matter if the person sitting next to me actually exists if all that matters is that i can see the presence of the object, feel the presence, sense the presence in general (no "being" is needed; just the sensory information). furthermore, all sensory information is doubtful inherently, so you are left with just the self that righteously exists.

i drift in and out of periods of solipsism, but in general, i just don't think about it if i can. just causes headaches.

Duke Of Dystopia said:
What? Here in a planner forum? Unheard of! :)

I am both silly and egomaniacal but didn't really want to make that my initial impression. I figured I would start with silly and sociable and work my way down from there. That way, the folks who might have some hope of liking me have a chance to warm to me and I don't alienate absolutely everybody. There is plenty of time to alienate folks. No need to try to do so right off the bat. :)

Solipsa said:
Solipsa - a derivitavie of "solipsism."

solipsism is the philosophy (metaphysics, if you will) that i am the only being that exists.

i drift in and out of periods of solipsism, but in general, i just don't think about it if i can. just causes headaches.

I love this. I only had a loose grasp on reality all of 2001, between fever, meds, sleeping weird hours... come to think of it, maybe it hasn't changed all that much. :)

Runner

Cyburbian
Well, I'm an Aggie so it had to be something simple. Would you believe that in addition to bicycling I'm also a runner ;)

Rem

Cyburbian
REM was playing on the office music system when I was registering. Dull, dull, dull.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
My Cyburbia name is self-explanatory. I expect male adoration for a goddess...
With a tip of the hat to Bananarama
She's got it
Yeah baby she's got it
You're our Venus
You're our fire
You're our desire.

Biscuit came from absolutly no where. Back in college I was watching a Clemson football game on TV, and working through a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 with one of my good friends, when he turned around and said something to the effects of, "Biscuit...That's what we're gonna call you...Biscuit." I don't know why but it stuck and almost everyone has called me that ever since.

Guess that's what drinking will get you.

Rem said:
REM was playing on the office music system when I was registering. Dull, dull, dull.

Oh, I don't know, somehow it seems fitting. Hear me out, before you ROFLYAO: REM stands for rapid eye movement, which you get in your sleep when you dream. Since you are in Australia and you mostly post when most folks in the Americas are sleeping, then you sleep while most folks in the Americas are posting, it is sort of one of those 'Juang ju dreamed he was a butterfly and when he awoke he wondered if he was a butterfly dreaming he was juang ju' (or whatever that oriental name is supposed to be).

Are you a figment of our dreams or are we a figment of yours?

It was also rather spontaneous. Most dull, dull, dull people that I know are anything but spontaneous.

You can frame it anyway you want. If you want to frame yourself as dull, well, I guess you are free to go about making that a self-fulfilling prophecy. Or you can claim it was some sort of prophetic, mystical, magical Fated experience. Having nearly died, yadda yadda, I get to go around being a nutcase who claims There Must Be Some Reason I Lived, blah blah blah. Which can be fun if no one takes such silliness too seriously. I sure as heck don't.

Rem

Cyburbian
Thanks MZ - I will copy and paste your interpretation into a new response (if I get asked again) - much better.

In the team I work with, knowing who REM is makes me a wild, edgy, youth. I am dull but it is relative.

Rem said:
Thanks MZ - I will copy and paste your interpretation into a new response (if I get asked again) - much better.

In the team I work with, knowing who REM is makes me a wild, edgy, youth. I am dull but it is relative.

That's called 'plagiarism' and there are laws against that! Being of High Moral character, I will have to absolutely insist that you at least go to the trouble of rewording it at least ever so slightly. And if you don't, I will have to maliciously refuse to ever again offer my free consulting services on your behalf again!!!! ;)

I figure anyone with such a dull-looking avatar has got have a sense of humor. I figure your avatar is probably Ironic, and we might die laughing if we knew you in person.

Having been a psych major for all of 2 classes, I feel utterly entitled to practice unlicensed amateur psychology on everyone I meet -- but only about 5 minutes worth, because then I run out of 'expertise'.

Alternately, you can avoid plagiarism by quoting it directly but citing the source -- that way you can chalk up the insanity of it all to someone other than you and preserve your good rep. But I want a nice and flattering title, like Wise Mystic or some such nonsense. Deal?

Rem

Cyburbian
With the avatar I started at the end of the list and worked forward - that was the first suitably ironic one I found. I do like the glint in the guy's eye as he studies the beer though. Thanks for the pop psychology pump up though - we all need something like that last thing on a Friday (it's 5.00 pm here now).

Rem

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Alternately, you can avoid plagiarism by quoting it directly but citing the source -- that way you can chalk up the insanity of it all to someone other than you and preserve your good rep. But I want a nice and flattering title, like Wise Mystic or some such nonsense. Deal?
Getting out of sync. Yes I will give you a suitably high-sounding title. Something using the word Zone.

Rem said:
With the avatar I started at the end of the list and worked forward - that was the first suitably ironic one I found. I do like the glint in the guy's eye as he studies the beer though. Thanks for the pop psychology pump up though - we all need something like that last thing on a Friday (it's 5.00 pm here now).

I think it's funny because he is clearly a prim proper guy from the 50's who is Being Naughty by the standards of his era. For that time, he would have been as Devilish and suave and debonair as James Bond. So, the b&w dull, dull, dull look is all a matter of perspective. Most traditional, conservative, well-accepted dances became that way due to the passage of time and they were outrageous, sexually daring, outlawed, controversial social phenomena in their time.

Rem said:
Getting out of sync. Yes I will give you a suitably high-sounding title. Something using the word Zone.

Yeah, you can be the only one on the boards to claim you had it professionally interpretted by a fortune teller! Tres chic and avante guard. Being a boring housewife, I am getting jealous.;)

Rem

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Most traditional, conservative, well-accepted dances became that way due to the passage of time and they were outrageous, sexually daring, outlawed, controversial social phenomena in their time.
Funny - I was chatting to a journalist covering a Council meeting, after the meeting one night. We were talking about the links between particular political parties and different churches. He told me about growing up a Methodist or Baptist (can't remember). He said they didn't believe in sex before marriage because it might lead to dancing. It broke me up because he was such a reserved, quiet guy. Still makes me smile when I think about it.

Hey, reserved, quiet guys have all kinds of assumptions made about them -- as if they don't do anything interesting because they don't advertise. My husband is a reserved, quiet guy -- an extreme introvert -- and folks sort of do a double take that he married me. It isn't what they expect.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Opening an old thread, because I never had a chance to respond.....

Bear Up North:

BEAR
In 1977 or 1978 (brain cells not remembering exactly) I was up north with a pack of friends. It was mid-February, we were in a little tourist town on Lake Superior (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), it was well below zero, there was tons of snow, and we were....shocker.....drinking.

About midnight we slowed on the beverages and everybody bought a shrimp basket......you know, the deep-fried little guys you buy in a bar after you have had eight (8) kazillion drinks. My friend Marcia was kidding me about eating the dep-fried tails, too. Being the showoff that the inebriated side of me is I grabbed a handful of the tails from my depleted basket and we walked out of that bar.

We were walking down the middle of the road, heading to the next bar. As we were doing this I was throwing the tails high in the air and catching them in my mouth. I had a snowmobile suit on that made me look like the Michelin Man. Marcia yelled out, "Hey look.....it's a dancing bear!"

The name stuck. I have been Bear to hundreds of people (in a non-work world). Many of the guys that I played basketball with for over twenty (20) years never did know my real name....just know me as "Bear". (Although some figured it out because my ex-wife married a guy I played basketball with all thsoe years.)

UP
This has hidden meaning.....twofold. It is often used to describe the Upper Peninsula of Michgan (where I plant to retire). The U.P. (Locals will call say, "Da YooPe, eh?") It is also the direction I plan on going when I retire, mapwise.

NORTH
There's that direction thing again.

That's my story. I use Bear Up North on the Cyburbia site. I have some variations that I use in my e-mail and in conversations with some friends.

Bear

boiker

Cyburbian
OMG!!!!!!!!

Like, I can't believe I never posted here.

Boiker is -er attached to my last name. My last name is a favorite among my friends to describe intercourse, certain sounds, and just to shout in exclamation.

I've been Boiker since I can remember.

As for Biscuits name, a college buddy was given the name "food bag" because we couldn't think of a good name for him. My other college buddies are known as spanklin, ñ, Nasty, JoJo...the list does go on.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
A few years ago when I registered on this site I was reading Micheal Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay." Great book by the way. One of the comic book characters in it was called "The Escapist." So, I kind of ripped that off and added "green" since I'm an outdoorsy, environmental-type guy.

zman

Cyburbian
My name, although I wouldn't choose it now, is a combination of what my high school teammates on the hockey team would call me (Z Man) and what I do (plan) Pretty lame I guess...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I've been here a while, but never explained my username.

It's my last name with "man" added to the end.

I like the illiteration, and also don't like the shift key.

I stole the concept from my wife's cousin, though. His youngest son is named Micheal and always refers to him as Michealman.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I just use "Dan" because I really don't want to see Cyburbia plastered with my full name. I use a more anonymous handle on other sites.

A Google vanity search for my name reveals hundreds of pages -- mostly old meeting minutes or articles about Cyburbia -- and personally I'd rather keep a lower profile.

There's been a few times when I've changed a person's username without their permission. Usually it's because someone uses their e-mail address as their name here, and I don't want to see them get spammed. Once, a member chose a username that was the same as what they used at work - first initial followed by last name. However, that combination unintentionally resulted in a term that is often a part of usernames on supremacist sites. I didn't want to see that here, so I changed the name. (Imagine "Rebecca Ahowa" or ""Nadine Azi", and you'll get the idea.)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Yes a Budgie is a parakeet, but my username is for the welsh rock band that began in the late 1960's. Every once in awhile they still play gigs mostly around Cardiff, but they seem to make an annual trip across the pond. Metallica covered their songs, "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" and "Breadfan", which I happen to be listening to the original version as I type this. It's from the Never Turn Your Back on a Friend album from 1973.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
So, my point in bringing this up is that I'm curious about everyone else's screen names - their origins, meanings (if any), etc.:?

Well, Plannerbyday

I chose that name because I don't let my job define me and control my life. Yes I enjoy my job and choosen profession but when I leave the office, I leave the office.

I don't drive up and down the street looking no the weekends looking for zoning violations.

SO I am a planner by day

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Any Navy veterans out there will know that a "gedunk stand" is the place aboard ship where you can get sodas, ice cream and so forth. Sort of the neighborhood convenience store inside a ship full of 1800 sailors. It was a way to honor my dad, a WWII combat navy vet. Yeah, I'm really geeky.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Rumpy which is my first name and Tunanator which is my last name (hmmm, the crowd ain't taking to kindly to this humor).

Actual Rumpy comes from the Mongolian language meaning, "Warrior who kills kittens in one stoke" and Tunanator comes from the Greeks meaning, "One who Tunanates Tunas and will be back" (alright, I'm warming them up).

No really it comes from the cartoon character I use to draw in comics and animated in short movies, when I had dreams of becoming a computer animator and making it big with my own cartoon series, and having myself play Rumpy's voice, and having pyschotic women in their late 20's on an array of designer drugs throw themselves at my feet (we got them hooked, now for the letdown).

Rumpy (the crack smoking, rock slinging tuna) use to be in a gang with Charlie the Tuna (until I realized he was a tuna company's spokesman) and Geek the Chicken who was always chainsmoking and alway got his head lobbed off at the end of every comic. There were a few other characters, and over all Rumpy got into some crazy adventures each episode, like the time Stumpy (Rumpy's illegitimate son) decided to drop by and tell him that he was his son, the road trip to Columbia to get more rock, and other zany adventures. I think I explained this a while back when I first introduced myself.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
This will take some explaining.

For a college paper I came across a picture of the Seabishop which is a mythical creature seen by hallucinating European sailors. A friend and I thought they had a good 80's hair-metal band look, and joked about starting a similar styled band, "the Seabishops." (I swear no drugs were involved with this conversation.)

Maybe I should have stuck with "PlanningGuy2000" :-D

seabish.gif

mgk920

Cyburbian
For me, it is a rather mundane combination of my initials ('MGK') and the local telephone area code ('920'), which had just been assigned and was soon to start its 'permissive' dialing phase in its split from 414, when I first signed up for dial-up internet service one week before Super Bowl XXXI (the one in which the Packers humiliated the Patriots :) ). (Hey, I had to quickly think of a username for the account and it was the first thing that came to my mind.)

In some other online forvms and on NTN trivia (http://www.ntn.com - played in many bars and restaurants throughout the USA and Canada), I go by the user name of 'WISGUY' (a GUY from WISconsin).

Mike

Last edited:

nighthawk1959

Cyburbian
would you believe an old cb radio handle from my darker days as a long-haul trucker? It has since taken on a life of it's own as some friends call me that more than my name. Plus I have a group of redtail hawks that live on the farm and we have become friends of a sort.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Well when I go back and look at my earlier response, I must have felt quite cocky that day!

Queen B
"Queen" derived from the meaning of my given first name.
and "B" the first letter of my last name.

Now you guys will have to guess what my given name is.

I don't ever remember liking any nick names before but I am growing fond of this one.

Queen B

Budgie

Cyburbian
Queen B said:

How about Gertrude? It's funny how Gertrude is not a terribly sexy name, but for me Trudy is a sexy name. ^o)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Mine is easy. TN, SC, and I called ourselves the Zoning Goddesses when we worked together. I was the first of the three of us to join Cyburbia, so I got to use the name.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I think you are all silly and I don't really think you know cause it is not the name I go by.
Just another hint!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Queen B said:
I think you are all silly and I don't really think you know cause it is not the name I go by.
Just another hint!
I'm not saying a word. Unless there's some serious $$$ involved. ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Queen B said:
Is it the "from the Gaelic ...." ?

Follow the $$

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
Well when I go back and look at my earlier response, I must have felt quite cocky that day!

Queen B

I don't ever remember liking any nick names before but I am growing fond of this one.

Queen B

Regina :) :) :) :)

Did you know that you can't reply unless you use at least 10 characters????

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Salmissra is a character in my favorite fantasy series. She is:

Immortal Salmissra
Queen of the Snake People
Chosen Handmaiden to the God Issa

Yes, she does evetually get turned into a snake, but her attitude and style are what I like. She's very sexy, tyrannical, lovely, unpredictable and has a hellish temper.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Mine was given to me because I used to work on the jurisdiction's trail program and I would always go to Development Review meetings and "extort" trail commitments from developers - as the other planners joked. They thought the trail system was not really important and I would be rather "nazi" like in getting them to think it was important. Fun games we would play. Since I could not have ZG's name since she had it first, I fell back to my default name came.

The One

Cyburbian
Mine is.....

My screen name is derived from the fact that one of my faults is to put others first....so I think I'm due for a little snobbery........at least in this forum......oh and I tend to know a lot about everything......"I'm the one you want to talk to...." :-D ;-) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.