• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Hi there! 👋 Interesting User Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Follow the $$

Cyburbian
A couple of years ago I attended our monthly agency board meeting. The local electrical utility representative was speaking on the current "Energy Crisis". This was during the big deregulation bruhaha when all the electrical power brokering was going on. The local utility, at least at the time, was both the regulated electrical service provider as well as, through its "for profit arm" the power producer, purchaser and broker. In other words, it sold power to itself.

The utility representative began his speech and had reached a salient point in his "energy crisis" argument when one of the Mayors yelled out, "Follow the money! Follow the money!" The speaker resumed and ten minutes later came another "Follow the money! Follow the money!" This happened four or five times and resulted in the most entertaining board meeting I have ever attended. I am just waiting for a post to come up which merits this very basic response.

Oh, and most of the jobs I have held have required me to Follow the $$ in many different senses.

noj

Cyburbian
My screen name is my first name backwards. Its been my nickname since primary school, and I've always liked it. Most of my friends still call me Noj or variations of it. :)

Trinity Moses

Trinity Moses

....a fictional character w. an urban connection, one of the three founders of the city of Mahagonny...the city of nets (a bit of a pun as we are "on the net").

Sort of a homage to my love of ubran decadance & noir, Wiemar culture
(Aufstieg u. Fall Der Stadt Mahagonny was a Brecht/Weill operetta), and cyncism and irony, combined w. a little fatalism..

"...Können uns und euch und niemand helfen..."

....and a bit of a homage to my German/US ancestry (a German play set in the US).

A postcard from Mahagonny:
http://www.peabodyopera.org/egg/WebPixMS/a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ass. Planner

Cyburbian
I decided to use my screen name for two reasons:
-no matter how many times I have given people my title (Associate Planner), I am usually referred to as "Assistant Planner" or as my boss' assistant. "Ass." covers both Associate and Assistant.
-our county plan originally listed me in their acknowledgements as "Ass. Planner" and it has been a joke ever since.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
noj said:
My screen name is my first name backwards. Its been my nickname since primary school, and I've always liked it. Most of my friends still call me Noj or variations of it. :)
Thats funny, one of my best friends name is Jon and we cal him Noj as well...its funy you brought it up because every time I see your user name i think of him :)

This is a tough one

Well my screen moniker certainly isn't a big mystery... Planner girl from Northern California.... :) And the 'coffee is God avatar'..... well, that's what it is for me- :)
All Hail the Coffee God!!!!!

GISgal

Cyburbian
GISgal originations

I for a long time was really involved in GIS and well because I am girl -- GISgal became my name of choice.

noottamevas

Cyburbian
How did you pick your screen name?

Some are easy, City/State you live in +planner. Others appear the be initials BKM, JNA, JNL. But there must be a story behind a lot of the screen names.

Mine is my website, I planned on signing up and asking a couple of questions and moving on. Nobody warned me about the addiction thing. If I had known I'd get hooked, I might have put a little more thought into it.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I think we did this once before. Mine is based on a book I really liked- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's All About The Flying Shrimp Tails

It was a very cold night......somewhere around 25-below zero.....and this Bear and his pals and wife (at that time) were wandering from tavern to tavern in the little town of Paradise, MI. For those that don't know, Paradise is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, near the tip of Whitefish Bay. It was February, 1978.

My friends were still calling me by my real first name. In addition to the multiple beers and cocktails at the bars (such as Nick's log Cabin, Red Flannel Saloon) we all bought shrimp baskets. Dinner was served, at the bar stool.

On our way out, to cross the street to go to another bar, I grabbed all the breaded shrimp tails from all of the baskets and took them out to the snow-covered road. I started to throw them in the air and dance around, catching them in my mouth as they fluttered downward. My friend, Marcia, yelled, "Hey, a dancing bear!"

The name "Bear" was borne.

For years, many of the guys that I played basketball with twice a week all year long would only know me as "Bear".
_____

This Bear loves the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, northern Wisconsin, the "Arrowhead" of Minnesota. Anyplace up NORTH is in tune with my soul.
_____

It was easy to pick a name to introduce myself to the hordes of Cyburbia: Bear Up North.

(I didn't plan on the nickname "BUN" popping in to daily post conversations. :-c Oh well.....)

Bear Bare Buns

Hceux

Cyburbian
Hceux is really an abbreviation of Herstmonceux Castle, a castle in England.

Google it and you'll find out what it is, if you're really curious.

Maybe the mods should sticky this one. All who agree, raise your right hand and make obscene gestures at the computer screen to signify "aye". :a:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I don't know how I missed this thread.

Suburb Repairman: A name born out of idealism that I could indeed change the world one nondescript suburb at a time as I showed them the light to eternal planning salvation. What the hell was I thinking?:-| :-c :p

Shortened derivatives appearing on this site include Burb Fixer and Suburb.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Suburb Repairman said:
Shortened derivatives appearing on this site include Burb Fixer and Suburb.

There just might be "other" derivatives that we also refer to you as.....;-) ;-)

Pistonbear

chukky

Cyburbian
Hmm yeah, when I was about thirteen I thought spelling Chuckie/chucky that way (see if you can guess what it's a derivitive of!!!?) was unusual and distinctive. And it's stuck. Ah.

dobopoq

Cyburbian
I was somewhat inspired by the unique yet seemingly meaningless names of both ablarc and agcrisco. They're both fairly obvious as to pronounciation, and because they're totally original, they are largely irrespective of cultural and gender associations. When experimeting with the aural character of different letter combinations, I was struck by the fact that the lowercase letters d,b,p and q (a fricative and three plosives) all have the same shape in one of four vertical inversions. I was thereby motivated to create a letter combination that was both pronounceable and visually appealing in a symbolic sense. Wanting to use all four in a name, I experimented with which vowels to use. O seemed to work best. As for the order of the letters, I thought q should be on the end if I wanted to avoid the use of a u. bopodoq seemed lame, as did pobodoq and podoboq.;) But, I liked the rhythmic vigor of dobopoq, and its visual appeal best.;-) Plus, I didn't mind that dobo has Spanish associations with Goya's Adobo seasoning, and that the oq has French overtones such as in Le Coq Sportif. And so dobopoq was born.:a: :-D There you have it.:)

kc_roo

Cyburbian
My name is derived from living in Kansas City and the mascot for my school UMKC, University of Missouri Kansas City being a kangaroo. I hate our mascot.

H

Cyburbian
there is a very interesting story behind mine... my name starts with and 'H', so I went with that :p ;)

Boru

Cyburbian
I was searching for names to do with being irish. That simple. I didnt think something in Gaelic would be to well understood, so I took the name of a person who is well known in Irish terms but completely obscure in international terms. The name also has particular relevance to where I come from in Dublin.

Brian Boru was a high king of Munster in Ireland in the 11th century. He beat the nasty vikings in a battle in Clontarf (where I live) and ended their nordic reign over Dublin and Ireland. The Vikings retreated to Denmark thus saving Ireland from becoming a model example of a civilised European country.

Mine is just my Initials followed by the city of the University i go to. UC Irvine...If you say ECIrvine fast...its sounds like UC Irvine :-D

natski

Cyburbian
Mine is also rather boring...

First 3 letters of my first name, last 3 letters of my surname.

But apparently in Australia there was a racehorse by the same name that was rather successful....

Breed

Cyburbian
Mine is just as boring... first letter of my first name... and my last name.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'll fess up: the city I was working for when I registered on Cyburbia and a shortening of my last name. Boring, too

ICT/316

Cyburbian
Airport code and area code.

Bill

The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show…”
[kisses his biceps]

- Ron Burgundy

Margin Walker

Cyburbian
Margin - The edge
Walker - Last Name

That's me, I live life on the edge ;)

Actually I got it from the name of a very good Fugazi EP from the late 1980's, back when I was still cool.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Mine is a play on words. First, I am a planner, a planning director to be specific. Second, say Whose Yur as one word and think of what a person from Indiana is called (a Hoosier). I can all of you just busting out in laughter on the cleverness of it.:r:

Kau

Kau.
Used it since early high school so about 6-7 years now. My name for everything including my college email. wish I would have thought more about that...
Comes from a bar at a Marriott on Hawaii's big island kau kau grill. Pronounced like 'cow'. I recently found out it was a town or county in Hawaii too.

natski

Cyburbian
kc_roo said:
My name is derived from living in Kansas City and the mascot for my school UMKC, University of Missouri Kansas City being a kangaroo. I hate our mascot.

There is nothing wrong with Kangaroos! :p

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Doitnow!!

Also useful for life in general I thought Doitnow!! is apt for planners ( especially for those where I am from).
It means "Make implementable plans and DO IT NOW!!" :)

It also reflects an attitude to act ( of course Plan first and then Act)

Initially I took my original name as the handle but requested it to be blocked so I could use this one.

aargo23

1st letter of 1st initial + last name + signature number of the Illuminati = username

Cheers ICT/316...Wichita is my home town :b:

(live in Portland OR...PDX/503)

Status
Not open for further replies.