• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Careers 🎩 Interview advice - zoning to capital projects

Watermark

Short notice but thought I'll give it a shot and see what I get.

Background about me, I have being doing zoning for about 5 years, 2 years environmental review/CDBG funding mostly as a technician. Have some experience in economic development and transportation but little.

I have an interview coming up for a planning position with a state DOT focused on capital Projects and analyst.

What are some transferrable skills that are required for a person working on Capital Projects? I believe this is more an analyst position but was told it's a capital Projects position.

Thanks in advanced.

8hesaid

Cyburbian
Congrats on the interview! If you interact/negotiate with developers in your current role, that is very applicable to dealing with contractors. Other skills may translate well:

1) Code enforcement --> site inspections, testing, and verification of abiding by plans and building regulations
2) Reading site/building plans
3) Preparing and managing scopes and budgets
4) Environmental review --> NEPA efforts, also construction site health and safety planning
5) Interpreting federal regulations and securing federal funds. It's likely that the state DOT uses some federal highway or transit funds for capital projects, so you CDBG experience will be useful

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think that you need to be able to discuss your skill with broad outreach, working with groups, and project management. Capital Projects require LOTS of management and babysitting. I would assume the position is to be someone who helps keep these large budgets / timelines / etc. on track. You can use the CDBG understanding to explain the money management side, than try to focus on what skills you have on the people and team building side.

Good luck!!

Watermark

Thanks. This was helpful. I had the interview already and felt pretty good. I never realized how much project management and capital Project-like skills and experience I actually have. Not sure about getting an offer but I would say it went good.

blackwizard

Glorified babysitting is the funniest and honestly most apt description of project management I've ever read
so true. managing construction and babysitting toddlers: "hmm, it's suddenly VERY quiet in there... has anyone checked on them recently??"