• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Introducing myself

Hceux

Cyburbian
Hello everyone.

I've been reading this forum for the past few months and have become a regular visitor. I've posted once or twice, about the semi-ghosttown thread on Cairo, IL. Otherwise, I've not been around much.

I'm a fourth-year student at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, majoring in geography and minoring in history. Cities are what I enjoy most of geography. I have thought about going into planning, but I'm not sure about it yet...

Just thought I'd introduce myself...

Hceux

el Guapo

Capitalist
Yo Geo dawg...Geo-graphy rules!

Welcome. Sorry about your pre-cooked donuts.

Hceux

Cyburbian
What pre-cooked donuts?

What pre-cooked donuts? How else are donuts made?

By the way, Tim Horton's rocks...although, I've not had Krispy Kreme donuts, which I've heard are more like cakes than anything else.

Canada is a Tim-bit nation after all - there's even a book called "Tim-Bit Nation" (FYI, timbits are like mini donuts that can be eaten in two bites)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
welcome from one of the many Midwesterners
with a Geography undergrad.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome from one of the few New Yorkers 'round these parts.

Kingston rocks!

Budgie

Cyburbian
Geography Majors

JNA said:
welcome from one of the many Midwesterners
with a Geography undergrad.
My undergrad, majoring in Economics and Geography, with a side order of bar room etiquitte.

Lot's of geography undergrads here. There's not much to do with a geography undergrad, except get a Masters in Planning.

El Guapo, didn't you get a Masters in Geography with a side order of Planning?

Hceux

Cyburbian
Not much to do with geography?!

Budgie, what do you mean by that comment? IMO, I've always thought that geography provides one of the wider array of career opportunities compare to many other arts and science subjects.

Or is this part of propaganda that geography departments tell us about?

tsc

Cyburbian
Welcome! Can you send down a couple scoops of White Mountain??? Some of the best Ice cream on earth!

Hceux

Cyburbian
White Mountain scoops coming up!

LOL - tsc, you do know about Kingston's famous ice cream shop, eh? How did you know about it?

What flavour would you like? Want it in a waffle cone?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
despite being in ontario, Cardinal should put your dot in the US midwest. Solidarnosc, I think we call it.

Welcome

Budgie

Cyburbian
Re: Not much to do with geography?!

Hceux said:
Budgie, what do you mean by that comment? IMO, I've always thought that geography provides one of the wider array of career opportunities compare to many other arts and science subjects.
That's the problem, it's so general that it's hard to apply to a range of professions, that is unless you're a GIS. In fact, it's GIS that has kept geography as a unique Department in many Universities. When I got out with my Bachelors, I looked around and realized the jobs looking for a degree in Geography was very slim.

Geography is a culmination of Geology, Economics, Climatology, Political Science, Cartography, blah, blah, blah !!!! I'm not knocking Geography.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'll have to do another Cyburbia map update this week. Welcome! Do not let these donut philistines lead you to doubt. Even a day-old, pre-cooked Tim Horton's donut is better than the freshest Kispy Kreme.

(Can I get a Canadian passport now?)