• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Introducing myself

Hello!

I first began using Planetizan to look for work. Now that I have found a job, I thought I'd browse the website some more. So now I can sit at my computer terminal in my Oakland County office and see what other planners have to say.

I look upon myself as among a not-so-common breed of planners. I attended a school in Detroit with a small planning department. This school espouses strong liberal opinions, and often a very pro-government stance. Yet, I am a bit more conservative. An instructor of mine once thought I was Libertarian. Republican. And a Christian. More Christian than Republican.

So what does a conservative have to say about planning? Planning tends to convey a need for government control over the private sector. Well, that is the role of government, to exercize an element of control. For example planning and zoning are used to seperate heavy industry from residential areas. It is also used to keep neighbors from encroaching on each others space.

Government does often go too far. I once read a case in which a city took legal actions against someone for renting out rooms in his house in a "single-family residential" area. The City decided his having room mates violated the zoning provisions.

I actually went into planning as an off-shoot of geography. I figured that I can become a professional geographer and decide where the next Wal-Mart goes, or I could become a planner and help shape a community. I figured I'd like the latter better.

Well, that's probably enough for now.

God bless.
David.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome from south central New York. You'll find more than few kindred spirits here in the forums.

Now turn off your computer, and get outside to enjoy the lunar eclipse!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Welcome from the desert. Sounds like a common experience for geography majors.

jordanb

Cyburbian
This board contains the rigth-wing fanatic faction of the planning dicipline, so I'm sure no matter how bizzare your opinions are, you won't stick out too much. ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
welcome from among the many Midwesterners.
There are several of us cyburbians that began in geography.

Post early, Post often!

Budgie

Cyburbian
Excellent first post. Welcome to the boards. Don't be afraid to offend or be offended. This can become a free-for-all sometimes.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. Imagine that, a conservative planner with a geography degree. Is this a Cyburbia first? ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
Welcome. Imagine that, a conservative planner with a geography degree. Is this a Cyburbia first? ;)
NO! Did you forget about El Guapo and Chet?! :)

Welcome.

The midwest conservative planning posse is one stronger today. ;)

pandersen

Cyburbian
Welcome.

I wish you success in your new job in Oakland County. For your sake, I hope the county has finally seen the light and adopted a Master Plan.