• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Introducing Myself

G'Day cyburbanites.

My storey goes something like this. I live in a capitial city in a remote part of Australia where I manage an office of urban planners in the art of development control. Over my years of experience in the discipline I have learnt that sharing ideas and problems is one excellent way of finding solutions. I have worked with a variety of different planners from different countries and backgrounds and I believe that variety is definately the spice of life.

But enough waffle. In a nutshell I'm an average bloke who likes beer, fishing and watching sports (ie World Cup Rugby).

I look forward to meeting some of you and having a laugh.

Cheers

:b:

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome. I like the Nick Cave references and it is safe to admit you are based in Darwin (I presume).

There has been a Rugby World Cup thread running in the Friday Afternoon Club if that's what interests you. See you round.

"allow myself to introduce......... myself"

Yep, I'm in Darwin. I didn't think there were many Aussies registered so I assumed that not many people know where Darwin is.

Do you work for government or private Rem?

Thanks for the welcome Rem.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from among the many Midwesterners (Indiana).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to the boards, have a good time and stick around.
Cheers! :b: :b: :b: :)

Somehow when I read capital city of a remote part of Australia... Darwin came inmediately to my mind... :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome from Pennsylvania

You like fishing and beer? Well, you shouldn't have any trouble making friends around here.

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome from the West Coast of North America.

Nick Cave is awesome, but what I have on my Car CD player right now is Crime in the City Solution (Mick Harvey/Simon Bonney). I was pretty crushed when they broke up.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from a Great Laker (Illinois)

I don't fish or drink beer, but I'm related to people who do and they're OK, so you must be OK, too. :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome from across the ditch. I don't wanna talk about the rugby, okay? :)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Hello,

Looks like australia is great for Nick Cave fans and all things dark, except in Darwin. What the hell is up with that?

Beer & Pretzels at you! :)

Rem

Cyburbian
Re: "allow myself to introduce......... myself"

Red Right Hand said:
Do you work for government or private Rem?
Using the term work very loosely. I'm in Local Government, Lake Macquarie City. You can visit my employer's web site here if interested.

Other Australians are pretty few. There is an occasional post lately from a planner in Albury (NSW), The Determinator, one in Redcliffe (Qld), DA Monkey, and not for some time there was another in Brisbane. Prior to June 2003 I don't know what was happening.

You may want to check out the PIA web site which also has a message board. It is not well supported and I rarely visit as a result, which I guess makes me part of the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the run-down Rem.

I've never been to Lake Macquarie, but it looks nice.

Unfortunately I am familiar with the PIA website, I've been paying them to advertise many planning positions over the last 21 months with very little response. I've had more interest from backpacking planners walking in off the street than from the PIA website!

I was going for Fiji in the rugby WC prior to their abrupt exit because it's my partner's country of origin. We were swept up in WC fever when we were in Fiji recently. To lose to a bunch of scrubbers like Scotland really hurt, but they didn't help themselves, they simply choked.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Welcome, I'm glad to have you join us.

I guess we are showing photos of our respective homes. Here is a typical day in my place of residence: