• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Introducing the Armchair Planner meme!

Tide

Cyburbian
I think this meme is pretty dumb. These are great quips, but the picture really doesn't fit IMHO.
What it needs is a picture of a hipster at a town meeting giving public comment, but then again, to just get a picture of a hipster at a public meeting would be something now, wouldn't it be.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What it needs is a picture of a hipster at a town meeting giving public comment, but then again, to just get a picture of a hipster at a public meeting would be something now, wouldn't it be.
If anyone can find a better image, I'm game.

DVD

Cyburbian
I agree we need a better image. I'll throw out of few if I may...I can't find a good meeting pic.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
The top left guy in dvdneal's pics has the perfect look of condescension. Heck, it could probably even go further than the niche "armchair planner" meme into the "twentysomethingexpertateverything" meme (if it hasn't already been done, that is).

hilldweller

Cyburbian
The dude in Dan's meme takes the cake with that stupid hat though. That hat is pure sophistication

btrage

Cyburbian
I actually had a hipster come to my front counter a few weeks back. He was an architect, but his lack of general knowledge of how the real world works was quite astounding.

Tide

Cyburbian
It takes a special picture to be a meme, here's some of my recommendations - and though maybe not for the armchair planner, there are definitely other themes here.

I just like the look on this guys face like, "why would you even consider putting that pocket park THERE" (I propose this as the cover photo for the student lounge)

This man is in charge and has people who listen to him

Very relaxed which means he must know what he's talking about

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually had a hipster come to my front counter a few weeks back. He was an architect, but his lack of general knowledge of how the real world works was quite astounding.
My ED tried to make me work with one of those. It was not successful. My chief architect is at the end of his career, sits on the historic preservation committee, and vast majority of the time I have no issues with his plans getting through P&Z or permitting.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Condescending Wonka Probably seems to convey the best messages of planners problems:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I kind of like this image, although it might be too late.

For example ...

Naaaaaaah. I like the eye contact.

DVD

Cyburbian
The only thing better than murals is pocket parks!
Let's all take over parking spaces and turn them into parks or just put some lawn furniture out there and smoke something!
We can even put a pool in for ofos