• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Investing

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
For some reason i've suddenly taken a keen interest in learning about the stock market, mutual funds and just the general "what to know" in investing. I'm looking for a really good comprehensive book on investing that covers EVERYTHING. I'm mainly interested in stocks, mutual funds, cd's, bonds, and ira's. If anyone has any recommendations that would be great. Like i said i'm really interested in just a general book that gives out the basics, i'm not really intersted in any "secrets" or anything like that right now.

Thx

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Wish I could help. Unfortunately, all my extra $$ have gone into child expenses the last few years. See you are in Mobile; OT: will you be interested in coming to the FL lae-fest for Richmond Jake?

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i've been dabbling with the market with my deferred compensation plan. i've got a very aggressive portfolio but i have 40+ years to realize profit...so i have the leeway to play and take chances...

Rem

Cyburbian
The Australian Stock Exchange has a series of papers on undertsanding and getting started in Stocks available on their web site. Go to the "Investor Education" tab. They also have an on-line classroom for lessons on investing and games you can enter to make virtual investments to test yourself without taking a risk with your hard earned.

The ASX also have an e-subscription service that, upon registration, will give you regular information on investing.

I can't vouch for the getting started papers/classroom, I got all I want to know about financing in my MBA, but the newsletter is good.

The NYSE would have similar facilities I imagine.

SGB

Cyburbian
Try the latest edition of Personal Finance for Dummies.

Yes, I know the title is insulting. But the book is actually really helpful in getting a good introduction to personal finance and investing.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I think that the information at www.fool.com (used to be motleyfool), is some of the best around. Browse through there for awhile to see what interests you the most, then pick up some books. Some of the books you can get from motley fool are really good, too.

boiker

Cyburbian
Kobay, I've got a great investment scheme that you should keep a secret. See, all you have to do is send $1 to each of the 6 names on the list. Then you send the letter to 200-300 names that you get from a free address service. Put your name at #6 and bump off #1. If everyone does this you can make HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS.. .just like me! I got the email! It's true and there are testominials which further validate the claims! :p :-D ;-)

I otherwise have no sound and good advice for begining investors.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Start and / or join an investment club. I did a few years ago, and for the first few months all we did was pool the $$, no investing. The members each took turns researching and presenting investing principles, industry sectors, and specific stocks. There is a lot of great info on the web, club tracking software, etc.

For a newbie investor, its a great way to get started.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
boiker said:
Kobay, I've got a great investment scheme that you should keep a secret. See, all you have to do is send $1 to each of the 6 names on the list. Then you send the letter to 200-300 names that you get from a free address service. Put your name at #6 and bump off #1. If everyone does this you can make HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS.. .just like me! I got the email! It's true and there are testominials which further validate the claims! :p :-D ;-)

I otherwise have no sound and good advice for begining investors.

I'm still waiting on my checque for $23million (US) from Lagos, Nigeria ;-)

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Wish I could help. Unfortunately, all my extra $$ have gone into child expenses the last few years. See you are in Mobile; OT: will you be interested in coming to the FL lae-fest for Richmond Jake?

What is a lae-fest and who is Richmond Jake?

BTW, thanks guys and gals for the information.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Kobayashi said:
What is a lae-fest and who is Richmond Jake?

BTW, thanks guys and gals for the information.

"Lae-fest" is a running joke on a typo.....an Alefest is a gathering of Cyburbians over beverages.

Richmond Jake is a member who just recently moved to Florida.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:
"Lae-fest" is a running joke on a typo.....an Alefest is a gathering of Cyburbians over beverages.

Richmond Jake is a member who just recently moved to Florida.

Speaking of...

I know we have 3 or 4 of us out here in the northwest, and we have a multitude of microbrews, so... WHEN?! WHERE?!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Investing related question- if you knew a merger was about to take place wold you buy the stock of the company being eaten or the bigger company?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Habanero said:
Investing related question- if you knew a merger was about to take place wold you buy the stock of the company being eaten or the bigger company?

In general, yes...

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
We started an investment club last year. Everyone is responsible for doing their own research. I use Yahoo Finance for research and do a little surfing on friday afternoons looking for good investments. I'm going to try to talk the group into investing in Starbucks next week and I have this great little Chinese steel firm that keeps making money.

As far as Nigeria is concerned I keep getting these emails from all these individuals who have escaped the civil war with $billions for me to share in. I always refer them to the distinquished law firm of Soprano and Sipowitz, Attorneys at Law--"if you don't pay up we will make sure you will one way or another".

1. Rob and his dad do a lot of joint investing, they have a couple joint brokerage accounts, and they've been playing with that. It is almost like an investment club for them - which I've heard really good things about.

2. If you're interested in mutual funds, Morningstar.com is a great site.

3. Habenero - our worst investment ever was from an engineer that worked for a small firm that is developing fuel cell technology. He swore that GE was priming the place for take over - all the managers were being sent to GE exec school, or something like that. One week after we bought (the small firm's stock), the coffee service was discontinued at the firm. Then the copier leases were not renewed. Then literally 1/2 the staff was let go. The price went from $40 (when we bought) and is hovering at $7 now. :-#