• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Is anybody here a Transportation Planner??

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
worked with author of VTPI

Hey

I know the site you are referring to, and the Victoria Transportation Policy Insitute is an excellent source of basic information about just about anything to do with transportation. It has everything from Universal Transortation Pass information to how New Urbanism affects transportation patterns and use. Another site that is related, though I'm unsure as to what you are researching is the UBC TREK Program Centre where TREK stands for Transportation, Research, Education, and Knowledge. Its specifically for the University of British Columbia and has some good information on U-Passes and TDM measures.

Hope that helps

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Actually, some of my best friends are transportation planners (honest!) and I masquerade as one every month when I represent my county at our local Bike-Pedestrian Advisory Committee. I did take classes on the subject, so I'm kinda qualified.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
no, but i know where i can find some in the MPO down the hall.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
I'd hazard a guess that transplanner is a transportation planner.
Er... Tranplanner. For now, at least, we are accepting his claim that he is not a Transexual planner. ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Michael Stumpf said:
Er... Tranplanner. For now, at least, we are accepting his claim that he is not a Transexual planner. ;)
Thanks for the laugh, Stumphy...needed it this morning.

Yeah, I've used the VTPI website for some research stuff. Some good stuff there.

green lizard

?????

I work as a transportation planner..... did you
have a question or were you just sharing the site?

Good site, not as relevant in US as other fed sites...
But any source good info is allways welcome.

The Irish One

Yeah I have questions about schooling. What was your Bach. in? Did you do get a masters? Can you put links up to your school programs so I can check out course descriptions, etc..

green lizard

What to do

Here is the link to FSU, gradute planning.
http://www.fsu.edu/~durp/programs/trans.html

I am a strange case....

I have a Bach. in Urban and Regional Planning....
But I spent 14 years as a Highway designer and
Urban designer.

I have a very strong Civil engineering background.

I do not know what your experiance is in Traffic
opperations, but a good understanding is a must.

Once again though, as with most planning catagories
there are many sub-catagories. Mine is pretty techincal,
I do a lot of regional modeling.

Hope it helps.

green lizard

My experience with transportation economist has to do with
revenue estimation. And I am involved in some of this...
Lets say we identify and area that is congested. What I want
to find out is cost / benifit to building more capacity. Or is it
fesable to build express lanes and toll them? How many
people will divert to the toll lanes and at what LOS (level of service) will they divert? How much toll could be charged
before they would rather put up with the lousy LOS? At
what level of revenue will the facility pay for itself? When?
My other experience with Econom. Trans. Planners
has been in the transit area. What is the cost / benifit of transit?
What can we float to pay for it?

This is simplifing it, mabye someone else has had more
experience in the econm. area.

Answer to other ??;
My Civil background started years ago with my
Engineering degree.

jresta

Cyburbian
i'm the only planner in my transportation unit. The other three guys and one woman are all engineers.

I just refer to them as traffic engineers because it seems like that's what they spend their time doing. engineering traffic.

jresta

Cyburbian
Since I work for the MPO here and we administer federal funds I review TE and CMAQ projects submitted by municipalites and transit agencies in our region. (the TE part actually has me a little worried about my job security)* We pretty much manage these projects from bidding to construction.

We also wind up doing most of the bike trails work for both agencies. Since NJDOT just lost a lawsuit to the Tri-State Transportation Campaign and the judge ordered the DOT to comply with the "Fix-it-First" legislation and the "1000 miles of bike lanes" mandate I have a feeling we'll be pretty busy picking up that slack.

PennDOT and NJDOT sub-contract a lot of work here. More of it is in PA, though. I guess it just comes from having a bigger state without the larger staff to make up for it.

I have the good fortune of doing the HPMS for Bucks County, PA. I also do some local scoping for NJDOT (for the counties in our region.)

I try to put my two cents in as often as possible because when I ride around with my co-workers I get a good sense for how much they don't consider when guiding a project.

* There's a whole lot of jargon here but basically we run federal, competitive grant programs that center on bike, ped, and transit facilities. The towns or transit providers with the best projects are awarded the money. TE is Transportation Enhancement and CMAQ is Congestion Mitigation/Air Quality

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Re: What's a Transportation Planner?

Dharmster said:
What do the readers define as a transportation planner?
Not anybody who went to FSU! (Sorry, Green Lizard)... (Sorry, Trial Nazi)...

Now, seriously, transportation planners work in the field, regardless of their initial background. Most tran planners I know, started in comp planning, or current planning, and either by interest or force, decided to learn about tran planning. Don't think you have to be an engineer to do this. Actually, that could be a handicap.

green lizard

Re: Re: What's a Transportation Planner?

Zoning Goddess said:
. Actually, that could be a handicap.
Depends what type of Tran planning you want to do.

As I have posted before, I belive a traffic opps understanding
is important. I also belive that you must understand what you
are planning to build in the real world. It is easy to see the world
as nodes, centroids, attractors, producers, and trips.

But it is another to understand what kind of effect that new
slip ramp to the interstate will have on the neighborhood.
Or how that new rail line will change the drainage patteren
that has been in place for 100 years.

And as far as the FSU comment... eat my shorts.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
I love transportation planning! my masters program didn't have a speciality in it though so I did tons of research in that field, notably transit, and took as many related courses I could get my hands on!!!!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: What's a Transportation Planner?

green lizard said:

And as far as the FSU comment... eat my shorts.
Well said.

I miss doing some transportation planning. Now doing parks. I love transportation. Stupid people in VA don't recognize FSUTMS. Hate VA. Love transportation planning, it is the wave of the future.

Dharmster

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: What's a Transportation Planner?

Trail Nazi said:
Well said.

I miss doing some transportation planning. Now doing parks. I love transportation. Stupid people in VA don't recognize FSUTMS. Hate VA. Love transportation planning, it is the wave of the future.
Hey I also live in Virginia and I hate the state.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I work for the MPO in our region and basically its allright except most of the people here are fixated on highway expansion. I want rail expansion but I'm just a spoke on a wheel around here.