• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Is country music getting glurgier?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Is country music getting more glurgey?

Driving across the country this past week, I passed through many a radio wasteland, where the only stations that would make their way to the car receiver are ... well, just country. (However, I experienced some great tropospheric ducting about 150 km west of Lubbock, Texas, where I recieved FM stations from Fort Meyers, Naples and Tampa, Florida as if the transmitter was just a few miles away. There wasn't an empty slot on the dial thanks to the great DX.)

Old country music themes included pickup trucks, railroads, prison, eighteen wheelers, the West, and so on. However, the country music I heard had themes of patriotism, Christianity, and the family. Most songs sounded like slightly rewritten glurge stories. the sort middle-aged administrative assistants send to everybody they know.

So ... is popular country music really getting "glurgier?" If so, why?

Wulf9

Play country music backwards. Your dog comes back to life, your wife comes back home, your truck starts to work, you stop drinking and cussing, and you get your job back.

green lizard

I agree, it is getting wierd. But contry music will
reflect the times (at least for some segment of
the population).

Thats why I switched to bluegrass. Much more
woodsy kinda music that can REALLY anoy
the right sort of people.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yeah, I heard Toby Kieth over fathers day and wanted to puke. Bring back Garth please.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Dan said:
So ... is popular country music really getting "glurgier?" If so, why?
I think more people are attracted to glurgier country music because of the lack of middle of the road pop compared to past decades. Top 40 radio in the 80's was filled with more POP - Huey Lewis, Pointer Sisters etc. Top 40 today is more youth oriented and is filled with more rap and loud rock. Even the pure American Idol pop is more "lets get it on" R&B and dance. So country is the last form of music to appeal strictly to the maintstream. Lots of contemporary country sounds to me like 80's pop with a twangy singer - really overproduced non-offensive stuff that has more in common with Michael Bolton than Johnny Cash.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I hate country music except that Chatahoochie song, BR5-49 and some old school stuff. It seems that most of these artists have seen the successes that Garth, The Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill, and Shania have enjoyed and they are tailoring their music to have more mass appeal.

H

Cyburbian
Country music pre 80’s is great. If you talk bad about Cash, Waylon, Willy, or Haggard, or countless others, then you are missing out on a great part of American culture and history.

However,

Post 80’s it is mostly some sort of “easy-listening, pop, country” fusion and in painful to listen to.

Many stations have broken in Classic Country formats. There is one in Tallahassee the kicks rear!

El Feo

Cyburbian
I'm with Repo Man for the most part. I'm not a mainstream country fan at all - HATE most of the contemporary stuff. But I do like more rockabilly/western swing stuff like BR5-49, Hot Club of Cowtown, older stuff from the 50s, 60s, and early 70s like Hank Sr., Patsy Cline, & Johnny Cash, and MUCH older stuff like Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys. The only fairly recent artists I've really liked are some Dwight Yoakum, Lyle Lovett, and Mary Chapin-Carpenter.

I like a lot of Bluegrass, too, but I think that even it risks falling prey to going slick. I love Allison Krauss, don't get me wrong, but her stuff is a little more "commercial" sounding to me, and not anything like Bill Munroe, Flatt & Scruggs, or The Dillards. I hope it doesn't go the way of Country Pop crap.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Popular country music today is CRAP. A good portion of the music, lyricaly sounds like the glurge e-mails I get from middle aged administrative assistants and has little in common with actual storytelling country music. As for Toby Keith...Well I liked the shirt that Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks was wearing that had written on it, "F.U.T.K.". Very fitting. But I suppose that a lot of people disagree with me because it sells.

Oh, and BR5-49 is freaking awesome. I don't understand why they aren't more well known.

El Feo

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
As for Toby Keith...Well I liked the shirt that Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks was wearing that had written on it, "F.U.T.K.".
Well, can't say I disagree with not liking Toby Keith, but Dixie Chicks are the Queens of freakin' country glurge. Jeebus, have you heard "Travelin' Soldier?" Makes me wanna puke.

Natalie Maines v. Toby Keith is like having to pick between a pile of horse shit, and a pile of cow shit.

H

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Popular country music today is CRAP....
Which is kinda funny, because the other week I went to the C.R.A.P. (Country Roots Alternative Pop) fest here in Miami. It was a showcase of what the acronym describes. The band were very good. Sort of “Buffet meets Ben Fold Five meets Johnny Cash” vibe. (they were non-commercial radio bands)

Anyway…

biscuit

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
Well, can't say I disagree with not liking Toby Keith, but Dixie Chicks are the Queens of freakin' country glurge. Jeebus, have you heard "Travelin' Soldier?" Makes me wanna puke.

Natalie Maines v. Toby Keith is like having to pick between a pile of horse shit, and a pile of cow shit.
Agreed. I just found the shirt very funny and maybe even a little anti-glurge. Who knows.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Holy Shit!

El Feo said:
...having to pick between a pile of horse shit, and a pile of cow shit...
We can say shit?!

Since when?

Shit! What else can we say? Damn?! Ass?! Bitch?!