• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Is Election Day A Day Off For You?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It is a scheduled holiday for me.
How about for you?

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
In the states it is often a holiday (or half day) for state employees. Sometimes counties get time off (where most department heads are elected officials). Municipalities with strong manager systems...never.

Rem

Cyburbian
In Australia, elections are always held on Saturdays - most people have a full or half day off. If you can't make it to a polling place on election day you can pre-poll (vote before election day) or make a postal vote (also before election day).

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
No way, we have to work and schedule our voting around the polling hours. Long way from my first job, where we got an hour off to vote.

tsc

Cyburbian
yes,,, I am forced to have the day off.... would rather take it on a different day. Like I am going to go work a voting booth...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Nope - never has been up here. Except for municipal elections (next Monday), our elections do not have fixed dates.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We are off for election day, which is our usual BZA meeting date (first Tues. each month).

As Armistice Day (Veteran's Day to you non-history folks) is the following Tuesday -- and we get that day off also -- we'll be having our monthly BZA on Monday the 10th. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but now there are 14 dockets on the agenda. Nothing like a double-shift the day before a holiday.

OT: This is my first post post-vacation. Although it wasn't much of a vacation. Like Tranplanner we are remodeling our kitchen and I spend every spare minute working on it. Now it's crunch time as the cabinets are due to be installed 11.14 and there's plenty of work to do before they can be installed. I'll try to post some photos later this week if anyone is interested.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
No day off here. I'll work my voting in around work (only cities are voting in NH tomorrow....Towns don't vote in November unless there is a state or federal election since Town Meetings are in March).

biscuit

Cyburbian
Yep, got the whole day off tomorrow. I would rather work the day and then take a random friday off, but my city doesn't allow that. Too bad.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Gedunker said:
Like Tranplanner we are remodeling our kitchen and I spend every spare minute working on it...I'll try to post some photos later this week if anyone is interested.
[OT] Yes, please post pics - I'm gonna get mine up eventually too. Just have to put up the trim and the backsplash...[/OT]

What is this holiday you speak of? Private sector employees get the minimum, and I do mean minimum, amount of holidays.

SGB

Cyburbian
As a public sector worker, I get numerous holidays.

Election Day, alas, is not one of them. :(