• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Is every music video the same?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
is every music video the same?

Seems like in recent years, every music video looks exactly the same. There's a Carhart-wearing rapper singing, leaning a bit, a thuggy look on his face, with a couple of guys at his side flashing gang signs every so often, and folks dancing in the background. Cut away to the folks dancing, and zoom in on a good, thick jiggly booty every so often.

I don't know if it's just my age (37), or the music, but in the past five or six years I'm experiencing a disconnect with popular music. I can recognize a song as familiar, and recognize a band name, but I can't connect the band name with the song. I know who Limp Bizkit, Korn and Linkin Park are, but if I heard a song by them, I wouldn't know who performed it. I don't really have that problem with pre-1995ish rock; I'd hear a song, and immediately associate it with a band.

I fear eventually turning into Dad, who doesn't recognize band names or songs. "What's that you're listening to, that Iron Zeppelin or something?"

BKM

Cyburbian
It's inevitable, Dan. :) Isn't it hopeless to try and keep up with the music "the kids" are listening to? I'm sorry. I'm middle aged, white suburbanite. i would feel really silly listening to "50 cent."

Especially since "popular music" has been declining in quality since the 1940s.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Here, Hear!

I 2nd Dan's & BKM's observations here( I guess it's really a 3rd, then) and would only add that I see a cultural contradiction with the well-to-do-white-suburban-Banana Republic-clad youth blasting down manicured cul-de-sacs in Dad's Beemer or SUV with a rapper blaring away about "hoes n' killin' th' man" along with that enduring and alluring bass line which'll shake the fillings out of your molars, if you stand close enough.

I don't get it, but then I'm not supposed to.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmmm every music video isn't the same.. all the popular music videos are the same :)

I doubt a music video from a Tool song is similar to a Britney Spears video....

JMHO :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Do you have a question for the culturally deprived/enhanced who've never seen a music video?

I agree with BKM, it just happens that most of us veer away from current music as we get older.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Do you have a question for the culturally deprived/enhanced who've never seen a music video?

I agree with BKM, it just happens that most of us veer away from current music as we get older.
So true. I remember looking at Billboard Top 40 charts beginning back in 1983. I recognized about 75% of the songs and liked maybe half of them.

As the 80s and '90s wore on, I became less and less familiar with what was one the chart (and liked even less of what I heard). The charts were dominated by no-talent floozies like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey or manufactured boy bands like New Kids on the Block.

When I looked at one of those charts again recently, I didn't recognize anything in the Top 40. Or, if I did know it, it was only because it was some saccerine piece of a pop song that you couldn't help but recognize because every brain-dead teenager is blaring it from their car stereo or some moron is singing it for some car commercial.

nerudite

Cyburbian
After reading S.A.C.'s post, I started thinking, "Am I really that out of touch?" So I checked out the current top 40:

Chapter II: Ashanti
Dangerously in Love: Beyonce
Dance With My Father: Luther Vandross
Hotel Paper: Michelle Branch
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
St. Anger: Metallica
Fallen: Evanescence
After the Storm: Monica
Come Away With Me: Norah Jones
Da Unbreakables: Three 6 Mafia
Thankful: Kelly Clarkson
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle: Various Artists
Buddy Jewell: Buddy Jewell
Bare: Annie Lennox
Meteora: Linkin Park
2 Fast 2 Furious: Various Artists
Dutty Rock: Sean Paul
The Very Best of Cher: Cher
Lizzie McGuire Soundtrack: Various Artists
From There To Here: Greatest Hits: Lonestar
Hail to the Thief: Radiohead
Unleashed: Toby Keith
Sounds Of Summer: the Very Best Of The Beach Boys: The Beach Boys
0304: Jewel
14 Shades of Grey: Staind
A Rush Of Blood To The Head: Coldplay
Chocolate Factory: R. Kelly
Honkytonkville: George Strait
Elephant: White Stripes
Lumidee: Almost Famous
My Private Nation: Train
Audioslave: Audioslave
The Truth About Men: Tracy Byrd
Young & Hopeless : Good Charlotte
Meet Me In Margaritaville: Jimmy Buffet, The Ultimate Collection: Jimmy Buffet
On and On: Jack Johnson
The Senior: Ginuwine
La Bella Mafia: Lil' Kim
Joe Budden: Joe Budden
The Ownerz: Gang Starr

Of these albums, I only own two: White Stripes and Audioslave. And of the others, I have been contemplating buying two: Jack Johnson and Radiohead. But I have never even heard of half of these people (or more) or I am totally disinterested from what I do know of them. And of all the greatest hits to be on this list, Cher and Jimmy Buffet... ewwwwwwww (sorry parrotheads). Guess I am out of touch after all.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
After reading S.A.C.'s post, I started thinking, "Am I really that out of touch?" So I checked out the current top 40:

Chapter II: Ashanti....
...The Ownerz: Gang Starr

Of these albums, I only own two: White Stripes and Audioslave. And of the others, I have been contemplating buying two: Jack Johnson and Radiohead. But I have never even heard of half of these people (or more) or I am totally disinterested from what I do know of them. And of all the greatest hits to be on this list, Cher and Jimmy Buffet... ewwwwwwww (sorry parrotheads). Guess I am out of touch after all.
Well, I was talking more of singles than albums, which are more likely to have established artists. But you get the idea. Take a look and a Top 40 singles chart and you'll recognize even less.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

Chapter II: Ashanti...
...The Ownerz: Gang Starr

The only names I recognize on this list are Luther Vandross, Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, Cher, Metallica, Lizzie McGuire, and George Strait. Never heard of White Stripes and Audioslave. Would never buy Cher, Metallica, Lizzie (well, my kid might), or George Strait. Guess that leaves Jimmy and the Beach Boys. I am way more behind the times than you are!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Well, I was talking more of singles than albums, which are more likely to have established artists. But you get the idea. Take a look and a Top 40 singles chart and you'll recognize even less.
You're right... I checked, and the only song I recognized is Bring Me To Life, Evanescence. I know some of the artists, but I couldn't tell you how any of their songs go. And I don't particularly like the Evanescence song. I guess that's what happens when the only "station" I listen to is the alternative station on digital cable. Oh well... I guess I'll never know what 50 cent sounds like. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I don't know how kids keep in touch with popular music trends nowadays, since there's really no true music video-dominated MTV on basic cable anymore, and music magazines have been in decline for the past ten years.

Let's see ... on the top 40 list, I recognize Kelly Clarkson, Annie Lennox, Linkin Park, Radiohead, Beach Boys, Jewel, Staind, Coldplay, George Strait, White Stripes, Audioslave, and Jimmy Buffet. If I heard any of those artists, the only ones I would immediately recognize are Annie Lennox, Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, and maybe Radiohead.

I can't find any weekly lists from the past, but here's the Billboard Top 40 for 1983.

*1 EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE, The Police (A&M) (#1, July)
*2 BILLIE JEAN, Michael Jackson (Epic) (#1, March)
*3 FLASHDANCE...WHAT A FEELING, Irene Cara (Casablanca) (#1, May)
*4 DOWN UNDER, Men At Work (Columbia) (#1, Jan)
*5 BEAT IT, Michael Jackson (Epic) (#1, April)
*6 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART, Bonnie Tyler (Colimbia) (#1, Oct)
*7 MANEATER, Daryl Hall and John Oates (RCA) (#1, Dec 1982)
*8 BABY COME TO ME, Patti Austin and James Ingram (Qwest) (#1, Feb)
*9 MANIAC, Michael Sembello (Casablanca) (#1, Sept)
*10 SWEET DREAMS (Are Made Of This), The Eurythmics (RCA) (#1, Sept)
11 DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME, Culture Club (Virgin) (#2, March)
12 YOU AND I, Eddie Rabbitt with Crystal Gayle (Elektra) (#7, Feb)
*13 COME ON EILEEN, Dexy's Midnight Runner's (Mercury) (#1, April)
14 SHAME ON THE MOON, Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band (Capitol) (#2, Feb)
15 SHE WORKS HARD FOR THE MONEY, Donna Summer (Mercury) (#3, Aug)
16 NEVER GONNA LET YOU GO, Sergio Mendes (A&M) (#4, July)
17 HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF, Duran Duran (Capitol) (#3, March)
*18 LET'S DANCE, David Bowie (EMI-America) (#1, May)
19 TWILIGHT ZONE, Golden Earring (21 Records) (#10, March)
20 I KNOW THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON, Frida (Atlantic) (#13, March)
21 JEOPARDY, The Greg Kihn Band (Beserkley) (#2, May)
22 ELECTRIC AVENUE, Eddy Grant (Portrait/Ice) (#2, July)
23 SHE BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE, Thomas Dolby (Capitol) (#5, May)
*24 AFRICA, Toto (Columbia) (#1, Feb)
25 LITTLE RED CORVETTE, Prince (Warner Brothers) (#6, May)
26 BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG, The Pretenders (Sire) (#5, March)
*27 UP WHERE WE BELONG, Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes (Island) (#1, Nov 1982)
28 MR. ROBOTO, Styx (A&M) (#3, April)
29 YOU ARE, Lionel Richie (Motown) (#4, March)
30 DER KOMMISAR, After The Fire (Epic) (#5, April)
31 PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ, Taco (RCA) (#4, Sept)
32 SEXUAL HEALING, Marvin Gaye (Columbia) (#3, Jan)
33 (Keep Feelin') FASCINATION, The Human League (A&M) (#8, Aug)
34 TIME, Culture Club (Virgin) (#2, June)
35 THE SAFETY DANCE, Men Without Hats (Backstreet) (#3, Sept)
*36 MICKEY, Toni Basil (Chysalis) (#1, Dec 1982)
37 YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE, Phil Collins (Atlantic) (#10, Feb)
38 SEPERATE WAYS (Worlds Apart), Journey (Columbia) (#8, March)
39 ONE ON ONE, Daryl Hall and John Oates (RCA) (#7, April)
40 WE'VE GOT TONIGHT, Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton (Liberty) (#6, March)

I recognize all of the artists all of the songs, and if I heard a random tune by most of them, I could pick out who it is.

Rem

Cyburbian
One of the things that is really interesting about Dan's 1983 Top 40 is how international it is. There are three songs I don't recognise (20, 28 and 38). Is the video age leading to more or less homogenisation of popular music? Video killed the radio star?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
to show how old and out of it I am
anybody remember listing or hearing of
wnew 102.7 fm out of nyc
kazy fm out of denver
in the more recent past I could stream kbco 97.3 fm out of boulder

don't know nor want top 40

H

Cyburbian
OMG.

I recognize all on Dan's list, but only 5 on nerudite's (and that is recognize only, I could probably humm most of the songs from 1983, and maybe 1 or 2 from the new list).

But then I never was "with it". Not even in 1983.

sidenote: I am 29.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Huston said:
OMG.

I recognize all on Dan's list, but only 5 on nerudite's (and that is recognize only, I could probably humm most of the songs from 1983, and maybe 1 or 2 from the new list).

But then I never was "with it". Not even in 1983.

sidenote: I am 29.
It would take a pretty history-obsessive planner to know all the songs from the year he was 9. I will not reveal how old I was in 1983.

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
It would take a pretty history-obsessive planner to know all the songs from the year he was 9. I will not reveal how old I was in 1983.
I am not saying I knew them then, I am saying I know them now.

maybe it has to do with what stations I listen to. :)

But I do remember sitting in the tree house with th radio waiting for the top 40 in the early 80's!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Huston said:
I am not saying I knew them then, I am saying I know them now.

maybe it has to do with what stations I listen to. :)

But I do remember sitting in the tree house with th radio waiting for the top 40 in the early 80's!
Is it cheating to learn them after the fact?

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Is it cheating to learn them after the fact?
I am confussed here. I am saying I know the songs. Not the lists.

But still, cheating or not, I know the songs on one list but not the other. so go figure...:)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Wow! I have over half of the songs on Dan's list on CD or mp3. I only recognize a handful of performers on the other list. It is comforting to see names like Jimmy Buffet still around. I will always be a parrot-head.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
From Nerudite's list I only hear 2 (Radiohead and Coldplay) and recognise 2 more (Metallica and whinny Park :D) but I don't like them.. :)
from the 1983 list... hmmm I recognise more than the other list, but I don't hear any of those groups frequently... I've just heard of them in my childhood..
The ridiculous thing is that I recognise more in the 83 list than in the 2003 and i was born in 1984... Most of the 2003 groups are completely unknown.... oh well... they probably suck anyways ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Huston said:
I am confussed here. I am saying I know the songs. Not the lists.

But still, cheating or not, I know the songs on one list but not the other. so go figure...:)
Sorry, Huston, I was kidding. Didn't you see the little winky guy at the top of the post? Anyhoo, you must be an oldies person to even know all the songs. Cool....

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Sorry, Huston, I was kidding. Didn't you see the little winky guy at the top of the post? Anyhoo, you must be an oldies person to even know all the songs. Cool....
no need to say sorry, I saw, thats why I put the smiley face :)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I don't know how kids keep in touch with popular music trends nowadays, since there's really no true music video-dominated MTV on basic cable anymore, and music magazines have been in decline for the past ten years.

Let's see ... on the top 40 list, I recognize Kelly Clarkson, Annie Lennox, Linkin Park, Radiohead, Beach Boys, Jewel, Staind, Coldplay, George Strait, White Stripes, Audioslave, and Jimmy Buffet. If I heard any of those artists, the only ones I would immediately recognize are Annie Lennox, Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, and maybe Radiohead.

I can't find any weekly lists frok the past, but here's the Billboard Top 40 for 1983.

*1 EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE, The Police (A&M) (#1, July)
*2 BILLIE JEAN, Michael Jackson (Epic) (#1, March)
*3 FLASHDANCE...WHAT A FEELING, Irene Cara (Casablanca) (#1, May)
*4 DOWN UNDER, Men At Work (Columbia) (#1, Jan)
*5 BEAT IT, Michael Jackson (Epic) (#1, April)
*6 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART, Bonnie Tyler (Colimbia) (#1, Oct)
*7 MANEATER, Daryl Hall and John Oates (RCA) (#1, Dec 1982)
*8 BABY COME TO ME, Patti Austin and James Ingram (Qwest) (#1, Feb)
*9 MANIAC, Michael Sembello (Casablanca) (#1, Sept)
*10 SWEET DREAMS (Are Made Of This), The Eurythmics (RCA) (#1, Sept)
11 DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME, Culture Club (Virgin) (#2, March)
12 YOU AND I, Eddie Rabbitt with Crystal Gayle (Elektra) (#7, Feb)
*13 COME ON EILEEN, Dexy's Midnight Runner's (Mercury) (#1, April)
14 SHAME ON THE MOON, Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band (Capitol) (#2, Feb)
15 SHE WORKS HARD FOR THE MONEY, Donna Summer (Mercury) (#3, Aug)
16 NEVER GONNA LET YOU GO, Sergio Mendes (A&M) (#4, July)
17 HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF, Duran Duran (Capitol) (#3, March)
*18 LET'S DANCE, David Bowie (EMI-America) (#1, May)
19 TWILIGHT ZONE, Golden Earring (21 Records) (#10, March)
20 I KNOW THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON, Frida (Atlantic) (#13, March)
21 JEOPARDY, The Greg Kihn Band (Beserkley) (#2, May)
22 ELECTRIC AVENUE, Eddy Grant (Portrait/Ice) (#2, July)
23 SHE BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE, Thomas Dolby (Capitol) (#5, May)
*24 AFRICA, Toto (Columbia) (#1, Feb)
25 LITTLE RED CORVETTE, Prince (Warner Brothers) (#6, May)
26 BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG, The Pretenders (Sire) (#5, March)
*27 UP WHERE WE BELONG, Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes (Island) (#1, Nov 1982)
28 MR. ROBOTO, Styx (A&M) (#3, April)
29 YOU ARE, Lionel Richie (Motown) (#4, March)
30 DER KOMMISAR, After The Fire (Epic) (#5, April)
31 PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ, Taco (RCA) (#4, Sept)
32 SEXUAL HEALING, Marvin Gaye (Columbia) (#3, Jan)
33 (Keep Feelin') FASCINATION, The Human League (A&M) (#8, Aug)
34 TIME, Culture Club (Virgin) (#2, June)
35 THE SAFETY DANCE, Men Without Hats (Backstreet) (#3, Sept)
37 YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE, Phil Collins (Atlantic) (#10, Feb)
38 SEPERATE WAYS (Worlds Apart), Journey (Columbia) (#8, March)
39 ONE ON ONE, Daryl Hall and John Oates (RCA) (#7, April)
40 WE'VE GOT TONIGHT, Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton (Liberty) (#6, March)

I recognize all of the artists all of the songs, and if I heard a random tune by most of them, I could pick out who it is.
Wow, great chart Dan! I actually recognize just about every song. And for the one or two that don't ring a bell, I bet if I were to hear them, they would sound familiar.

I would say that at least 75% of these songs are at least barable. Many I really like.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Zoning Goddess said:
Wow, I actually know most of the '83 list, altho' I would probably only score a 100% if you went back to '73.
Let's try it.

1 TIE A YELLOW RIBBON 'ROUND THE OLE OAK TREE: TONY ORLANDO & DAWN
2 WHY ME: KRIS KRISTOFFERSON
3 BAD BAD LEROY BROWN: JIM CROCE
4 KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG: ROBERTA FLACK
5 LET'S GET IT ON: MARVIN GAYE
6 MY LOVE: PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS
7 CROCODILE ROCK: ELTON JOHN
8 WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES: BILLY PRESTON
9 YOU'RE SO VAIN: CARLY SIMON
10 TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING: DIANA ROSS
11 ME & MRS. JONES: BILLY PAUL
12 THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA: VICKI LAWRENCE
13 HALF-BREED: CHER
14 PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND: CLINT HOLMES
15 BROTHER LOUIE: STORIES
16 DELTA DAWN: HELEN REDDY
17 KEEP ON TRUCKIN': EDDIE KENDRICKS
18 THAT LADY: ISLEY BROTHERS
19 FRANKENSTEIN: EDGAR WINTER GROUP
20 DRIFT AWAY: DOBIE GRAY
21 MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA: GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS
22 LITTLE WILLIE: THE SWEET
23 YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE: STEVIE WONDER
24 PILLOW TALK: SYLVIA
25 WE'RE AN AMERICAN BAND: GRAND FUNK
26 RIGHT PLACE, WRONG TIME: DR JOHN
27 ROCKIN' PNEUMONIA & THE BOOGIE WOOGIE FLU: JOHNNY RIVERS
28 FUNNY FACE: DONNA FARGO
29 SUPERSTITION: STEVIE WONDER
30 WILDFLOWER: SKYLARK
31 DANCIN' IN THE MOONLIGHT: KING HARVEST
32 LOVES ME LIKE A ROCK: PAUL SIMON
33 MORNING AFTER: MAUREEN MCGOVERN
34 ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH: JOHN DENVER
35 CLAIRE: GILBERT O' SULLIVAN
36 STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU: STEELERS WHEEL
37 SHAMBALA: THREE DOG NIGHT
38 ANGIE: ROLLING STONES
39 LOVE TRAIN: O'JAY'S
40 I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE, BABY: BARRY WHITE

donk

Cyburbian
1983 - about 90 %, but probably know them all to hear them.

Scary thing is that 1973 and 2004 are about equal, with 1973 being abit ahead.

Like nerudite I own the Audioslave and White Stripes CDs.

jmf

Cyburbian
I know most of the 83 songs, and like Super Amputee Cat woulld recognize the other ones if I heard them I think. I also know a lot of the 73 songs, even though I was only 2. That probably says more about the radio stations I listen to than my knowledge of music when I was 2. On Saturdya nights there is a show on CBC radio called Finkleman's 45s. If we are at home we usually have it on. It would play some of the 73 list.

As for the the current list, I know more of the names than the names with the music. Now if I listen to popular radio I don't pay attetion to who sings the song.

Last year we went on a road trip and took the 80s lyrics quiz it was scary how much we remembered, but it sure passed the time quiclky. http://www.inthe80s.com/lyricq.shtml

el Guapo

Capitalist
The antenna wire went bad on the Volvo 244 about five years ago. Since then I have not listened to the radio, other than to write down my daily action orders from Rush on the AM dial. Thus, I don't have a clue about recent music. We have one FM station that I can pick up here in town. It is a pop station that plays the same six songs over and over and over and over. Every time I turn the radio on it plays that stupid Averal Levine (sp?) song. This has cemented my desire to never listen to the radio again.

Dan, welcome to the thick white belt and plad sans-a-belt slacks crew, YO!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Whew! I only know 3/4 of the ones from '73, and have just a handful on CD or mp3. I guess I'm not that old. However, the first record I owned had a couple of these songs on it.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Rem said:
There are three songs I don't recognise (20, 28 and 38).
OMG - you've never heard of Mr. Roboto?!

Current: I've at least heard of most of the artists, though I've probably only heard the alt/rock songs from that list. If I've heard any of the rap or pop I wouldn't be able to tell you the artist or name of the song.

1983: Please, please take me back to those days!!!! Know every song/artist. Love listening to '80s rock.

1973: Know 95% (give or take) of the artists/songs. Like some, hate some on that list.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I know more of the current list than I care to admit, due to the pop and rap listening habits of my younger wife.

1983, know 'em all...have many on mp3....of course it's missing my first two tapes that I owned: The Cars and Huey Lewis & The News. :)

1973 (the year of my birth), know most of them.....my parents listened to most of it.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Damnit! I know ever freaking one from 73 and got flashbacks of every one as I read it. I'm way too old.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I knew almost all from the '83 list. Like Huston, I remember sitting in the treehouse and hearing those those songs on the radio. Heck, I still hear a lot of those songs.

I have to admit that I only recognize a few of the songs below #12 on the '73 chart. I'll have to e-mail it to my parents and ask them which were their favorites ;).

I know a few of from the current list (mostly the alt/rock) and think that most of them are redundant crap...Excluding my girl Beyonce...Mmmmmmm. I like good Pop music (think Pete Yorn, Fountains of Wayne, etc...) but can't stand most top 40, it all sounds the same. This includes rap as well, and IMO 50 cent is one of the most over-rated rappers around - He's a freaking mush mouth.

Last edited:

Queen B

Cyburbian

This was the first "video" I ever saw.
And I remember them saying after it was over, this was the new wave and every song would have a video with it. It was still a few years after that before our cable provided MTV.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Most "popular music" now is complete garbage. I don't think that it has as much to do with getting older, it is just a reflection of the music industry today. It is way too top heavy, and the stuff at the top can probably fit into 4 categories: Hip-Hop (50-cent, Eminem, Jay-Z) Dance (J-Lo, Beyonce), Chick Rock (Avril Lavigne, Jewel) and Nu-Metal (Creed, Linkin Park) The problem is I can barely tell the difference between any artist within these 4 genres. It all sounds the same, bland and homogenized.

It is sad because there are rap artists that really deserve more credit like Blackalicious, Black Eyed Peas, The Roots, and Jurassic 5, but they are generally ignored and we get this bling bling carp where all they sing about is cognac, money, and suvs. There is no substance.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
It is sad because there are rap artists that really deserve more credit like Blackalicious, Black Eyed Peas, The Roots, and Jurassic 5, but they are generally ignored and we get this bling bling carp where all they sing about is cognac, money, and suvs. There is no substance.
Fo shnezzy Repo. ;)

The Roots and Jurassic 5 are BA! To bad they don't get the airplay that the Cash Money crap, bling, bling rappers get. Ozomatli is another group that I'd like to see get some props.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Ah, the memories

Like most of the old folks on this list, I recognized almost all of the '73 and '83 songs, but nearly none on the current list. I once read a story in a college magazine that compared all of the rock decades (50' s and up) and declared that the music of the '70's, in spite of disco, was the most inventive and enjoyable. As a product of that decade, I would tend to agree, yet some of the cheesiest songs I've ever heard were on that '73 list (Tie a Yellow Ribbon, Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia, Half Breed, Delta Dawn, Funny Face, et al). Meanwhile, almost every song on the '83 list was pretty good or at least OK (although I could have lived without "Total Eclipse of the Heart").

I guess there's something about growing older that makes classical, jazz, blues and big band music more attractive. These days, it's Liszt, John Rutter, Artie Shaw, Sinatra and the Hi-Lo's

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Thank you very much for showing the 1983 list. I know every single song. And only a few from the current list. That means I am child of the 80's and the realization has set in that I am getting old. Thanks again.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Ah, the memories

DecaturHawk said:
I guess there's something about growing older that makes classical, jazz, blues and big band music more attractive. These days, it's Liszt, John Rutter, Artie Shaw, Sinatra and the Hi-Lo's
Taste in music is much like taste itself. As kids we tend to be picky, preferring bland foods like Mac 'n Cheese and Spaggetios over "real" food. As our sophistication grows we can begin to appreciate a more complex pallate. As a high schooler, I though Rush was great because of all of the sound they could get out of three instruments. Now older, I appreciate Wagner for all of the complex emotion he can convey with an orchestra.

I also knew only a few songs/artists on the current list.

I believe part of the reason is related to the radio station choices down here in Phoenix. A quick survey of stations reveals that there are only 1 or 2 stations that might be playing current pop hits. These stations have commercials that go on for over 5 minutes. (My attention span doesn't allow me to listen to commercials for over 30 seconds.) Another 1 is playing hip-hop. ( I listen to that occasionally) But the majority of the stations are playing classic rock, easy listening, oldies, latin, mexican, or country.

When I was younger and lived in other parts of the country I remember only rock or country stations. It was much easier to keep up with what was out there.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Whew! I only know 3/4 of the ones from '73, and have just a handful on CD or mp3. I guess I'm not that old. However, the first record I owned had a couple of these songs on it.
I know probably 90% of the 1973 list. That was about the time I started listening to the top 40 on my clock-radio, rather than whatever my parents were listening to. I remember thinking that "Little Willy" by the Sweet was the best song ever! (OK, I was 10...)

My very first record had some of these songs on it, too. It was a K-Tel album I bought at our local Woolworth's -- I think it was called Fantastic! and it had a far-out rainbow cover.

Aside from bands like Radiohead and White Stripes, I can't relate to most of what's "on the charts" now. Maybe the music from '73 and '83 wasn't all that revolutionary - especially not Tony Orlando and Dawn! - but I have a hard time differentiating between the artists I hear on the radio.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
I remember thinking that "Little Willy" by the Sweet was the best song ever! (OK, I was 10...)
I was seven or eight, but I would have agreed with you.

Nero

I know every song on the 80s hit list but only one on todays hit list...... I listen to the 80s channel on the computer. It seems that the early 80s music was... just fun stuff..... alot did not make much sense.. but so what..... it was fun.. like the Safety Dance or Hungry Like the Wolf..., not sure what it ment but it was good music.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
EG said:
The antenna wire went bad on the Volvo 244 about five years ago. Since then I have not listened to the radio, other than to write down my daily action orders from Rush on the AM dial.
[ot]Dear strayed conservative,

Please report to the Bush Re-Education Camp in Houston, Texas before the end of the week for a special retreat. Bring clean clothes, toiletries, a Bible, and a copy of Treason by Ann Coulter.

Sincerely,

The Republican National Committee[/ot]

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Re: is every music video the same?

My formula for writing a Nu-metal smash hit is simple. Just string together all the phrases you've been hearing for the past 5 years:

In my head
This disease in my head
Like a rat in a cage
Like a daaawg.
Down, down, down!
The needle in my vein / Driving me insane
Like a freight train
I just want to feel
this darkness in my soul
Save me from myself
Stay away! / Get the F- away! / Just leave me alone! . . .

All you need are a few dozen phrases like these and some heroin for "image enhancement."

I'd love to be the reporter who finds out that Staind and Godsmack etc. are only pretending to be heroin addicts because thats what the kids like. If not, why don't they all just OD already?

martini

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Taste in music is much like taste itself. As kids we tend to be picky, preferring bland foods like Mac 'n Cheese and Spaggetios over "real" food. As our sophistication grows we can begin to appreciate a more complex pallate. As a high schooler, I though Rush was great because of all of the sound they could get out of three instruments. Now older, I appreciate Wagner for all of the complex emotion he can convey with an orchestra.
This rings SOOOO true for me. As a kid(gradeschool/junior high), I listened to the most homogenous bubble gum crap that the top 40 was(plus shitty 70's music of my parents). I loved it then, but realized in HS that it was all utter crap and they were brainwashing me. In HS I was listening to mostly heavy metal and tried growing a mullet. Didn't work very well. But at least my musical taste was expanding. In College and after I started listening to Old school country and folky stuff, as well as getting more into punk and more 'arty' experiemntal music. Lately, I've really gotten into blue grass and country stuff like Steve Earl.

I know probably 90% of the '83 list, but only from recently listening to it and really liking it. Come on Ilene! while reading the list, I could start singing the lyrics like a medely.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I wish my pool were like a Nelly video...here's a salute to Nelly videos. They rock.

BKM

Cyburbian
I'm not sure everyone-or even most people-"grow in musical sophistication" over their lifetime.

I started in the 70s listening to pop (The Spinners, Kasey and the Sunshine Band, etc), but I turned wierd pretty quickly. There was a little independent record shop that had a lot of strange "progressive" European bands that I got into (Pink Floyd, of course, Nektar, Amon Duul II, Eloy). So, I've been sneering at pop music for a long time :)

I think a lot of guys (Town Next Doors folk especially) are like Al Bundy-reliving the glory days of their Senior year in high school. Their music doesn't change much either.

This isn't a criticism by any means-just an observation. For most people, music is a backdrop or tied to memories of their younger days.. They don't own hundreds of cds and obsessively post on music discussion boards (like yours truly).