• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Is New Urbanism Just for the Affluent?

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
Re: new urbanism is affordable in only one way....

boiker said:
new urbanism is affordable in only one way....

....if the new urbanism is just redevelopment.

But wouldn't the members of the Congress for New Urbanism say that New Urbanist developments offer affordable housing? Don't New Urbanist developments offer a choice of housing options in their development plans? And what do you mean by "redevelopment"? Are you referring to infill projects? If so, then that's not really New Urbanism, is it? Aren't New Urbanist developments built on greenfields? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

It's going to take some time and a rethinking of social values before new urbanism and old urbanism is true urbanism.

You've lost me on that one. What exactly is "true urbanism"? Isn't there just urbanism?

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: Re: new urbanism is affordable in only one way....

They say the new urbanism has low-income dispersed with high income, although I've never seen it in practice. I am convinced that the only place to find new urbanism ideals is in an already established truely urban setting. One where there is not a specific demand to have your own vehicle, or travel more than 10 minutes by foot to get daily necessities.

New urbanism developments that I'm aware of are neighborhoods built on the traditional grid surrounding a small town center with a laundrymat, starbucks, and a convience store. Hardley an urban area. Also, most of the new urbanism developments in greenfields consist of only single family dwellings and maybe duplexes.

Keep in mind, this is only what I've experianced, they're may be some other good examples out there.

I think new urbansim can work in a greenfield, however it needs to be an independent self-sufficent neighborhood or a new town. If resources of shopping, jobs, etc can be leached off an adjoinging town, we are left with a slightly higher densityy single family area that has reflective archicture. It's basically a PUD.

Like i said, people are not ready to give up their SUV's. They want their cars, they want to drive to their new 'open-air mall' (with plenty of free off-street parking).

It is my belif that urbansim can only occur when redevelopment of brownfields takes place within an urban setting.

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
New Urbanist developments - without any sort of government intervention, is likely only for the relatively affluent - given that in many ways, the economics of land development bears more resemblance to those of greenfield subdivisons. And ditto the buyers of any such dvelopments - who more often than not prefer exclusivity.

Not to mention, unless heavily subsidized, the new constructions at most developments are priced out of range for those with lower incomes.

GB