• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Is that User Counter Right?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
The www.dontcall.gov thread is hot on the search engines right now, hence the number of guests looking at that thread in particular.

SGB

Cyburbian
So, how do we take advantage of all this activity to convert the masses into citizen planners?

:)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SGB said:
So, how do we take advantage of all this activity to convert the masses into citizen planners?

Not likely. :(

NH Planner is right. I was on last night and all of those unregistered guests were viewing the Do Not Call thread. The Irish One put the URL in the thread name and Google picks it up quite easily.

SGB

Cyburbian
Chet said:
The Irish One put the URL in the thread name and Google picks it up quite easily.
Actually, it's the 7th URL that comes up when you search on Google by "www.donotcall.gov"

That explains a lot!

biscuit

Cyburbian
How in the world did that happen?

I'm just wondering...If you know the addressand are physically able to type "donotcall.gov", why couldn't you just go directly to the site instead of looking for it on a search engine?

SGB

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
How in the world did that happen?

I'm just wondering...If you know the addressand are physically able to type "donotcall.gov", why couldn't you just go directly to the site instead of looking for it on a search engine?
Never, ever, understimate the lack of intelligence in the general public at large! ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
Probably because some of those visitors had the IE Google Toolbar installed. I think Google uses the most commonly visited sites among toolbar users as a factor for determining the relevance of links. (Google doesn't track Toolbar user movements, but they do tally the popularity of visited sites.)

The amount of new users hasn't shot up. Remember, there aren't too many planners or folks who are really interested in cities and suburbs, so there probably won't be too many folks becoming Forum members after seeing the thread.

At leave vBulletin is holding up fine, and the boards are running normally.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I am just amazed that at any given time there are 200+ people lost (and ended up here) on the internet because they don't know how to type the address.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
I am just amazed that at any given time there are 200+ people lost (and ended up here) on the internet because they don't know how to type the address.
Yep, and I imagine that they are all either bored, confused or very, very scared.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I was also amazed by the explosive amount of traffic going on...I was about to send a PM to Dan or to some admin just in case it was some weird hacker attack or something... I didn't do it because nothing out of the ordinary happened... just the user number sky rocketing... and no aparent effects of a hacker attack.

I remember the user max was at about 87 or so.... and last night I entered and each time I refreshed the page the number kept going up! (of course there were some times when it went down a bit)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
I was about to send a PM to Dan or to some admin just in case it was some weird hacker attack or something...
Perhaps some planners from Houston returning our visit? ;)

Rem

Cyburbian
SGB said:

That would take nearly all the fun out of Cyburbia. It would be like going to work - wait a minute that's where I am.