• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Is the Goat the new Pot Bellied Pig?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Does anyone have a problem with the keeping of Goats in city limits? In the past month, we have found that 4 residential properties have goats on them. It is not like Portage is rural, we have 45,000 people in the city. Our ordnance requires 10 acres for general agriculture, and that use is the only way to keep goats.

More so, is this a new trend like pot bellied pigs, but for the new millennium?

Tom R

Cyburbian
goats

No but we got llamas and alpacas enough to repopulate Patagonia.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
In my previous job we allowed up to two milking goats. We almost had an ADA action against us for not being sensitive to people with cow milk alergies.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
We've had at least one "goats as pets" claim in our large (700,000+) city, well as the person who tried to convince us that the emu was a pet. Both were unsuccessful.

jresta

Cyburbian
are these mountain goats or pygmy goats?

personally i don't see what the big deal is in keeping a goat or two in the backyard if you have an acre or two. It's not like it's a horse.

Speaking of which . . . i was riding the train up to Chestnut Hill back in September. On the weekends i'd take my bike up there and ride the 10 miles back down the Wissahickon Trail. On the way up i'm looking out the window and i see two horses hanging out in the small yard between two rowhouses. I didn't think anything of it because it's not an unusual sight on other train routes. Then i remembered that i was in the city and these horses were in a rowhouse neighborhood - Germantown no less. Granted the property backed up to the tracks and so the yards were much bigger than normal but still . . . I read something in the paper about it a few weeks later saying that the city was giving the owners a few weeks to find a new home for the horses.