• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Is this common in your community???

Jen

Cyburbian
Eat your heart out Consumers Energy

I am the proud owner of an umbrella style solar dryer. Finally figured out what the funny looking pipe was sticking out of the ground on the south side of my house, a clothesline pole holder. I havent switched on the dryer in a week. I like hanging clothes on the line!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hmmm.... I remember posting a comment about banned bird houses a while back.

There are some really ridiculous regulations or homeowner covenants out there.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I agree with the Cops on this one!

Michael notes that there are some ridiculous covenants out there. I’ll agree to a point. But let’s not condemn them all so quickly. After all they are voluntary. No one is forced to buy a home in a community with covenants.

Just as I am a firm believer that certain people should be allowed to use an old bus as a room addition to their 1973 14”x 60” Lark Matador, there should also be a place in this world for the wildly anal retentive. If you and you neighbors agree through a covenant that clotheslines look like shit and promote the kind of thinking that leads to voting for democrats then don’t hang up your cloths outside. Move to the country and grow your own.

Doonesbury’s central theme has always been lampooning conservative values and promoting the kind of free love and abandonment of good decency that Florida Planners are known to practice. This particular cartoon is a fine example. If a group of citizens decide they want to live amongst other anal retentives then by God let’s leave them alone. This is America: If you want to live on a commune and grow hemp there is a place for you. If you want to live in a community where all the cars are parked inside by 9:00 pm and all of the houses have the proper shade of Rothschild’s Ginger Gray #9 then I say go for it.

PS - There was an X Files Episode that dealt with a gated heavily regulated community. In it the monster ate the anal retentive. The non-conformist was the hero. I was rooting for the anal residents. In certain cases the homeowner’s association should be able to exercise capital punishment.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
The whole series...for those interested

Monday...

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday's is the first in this thread...here's today's (Thursday)

nerudite

Cyburbian
On the flip side...

When I lived in Davis, CA (otherwise known as the People's Republic of Davis), all apartments were required to have an outdoor clothesline per unit on the balconies for energy conservation. Not that anyone really used them...